• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese cookbooks

I know of three 1000-recipe Chinese cookbooks:

Gloria Bley Miller:

The 1000 Recipe Chinese Cookbook

Chang & Kutscher:

An Encyclopedia of Chinese Food and Cooking: 1000 Recipes Adapted to the American Kitchen

Wendy Hobson:

The Classic 1000 Chinese Recipes

Each is a gem, in its own way.

The Miller book was especially valuable 25 years ago, when substitutions were the rule and Chinese groceries seemed more intimidating.

The "Encyclopedia" packs a lot of information into the form of an abbreviated mise-en-place.

Hobson has just collected all kinds of recipes - it is a great source of ideas, and most of the recipes are easy.

It is not always clear which book someone means when they mention a 1000-recipe Chinese cookbook.

Are there any others?

BB

Food is all about history and geography.

Chang & Kutscher:

An Encyclopedia of Chinese Food and Cooking: 1000 Recipes Adapted to the American Kitchen

I'm glad to see this book was mentioned; it is my standard book for Chinese food. No photos, no frills, no editorial or historical commentary -- just a lot of recipesI don't even know where or why I bought it but I'm glad I did.

It's very easy to use and always has a recipe that covers whatever ingredients I have on hand -- so I don't need to go running to the store.

Chang & Kutscher:

I'm glad to see this book was mentioned; it is my standard book for Chinese food. No photos, no frills, no editorial or historical commentary -- just a lot of recipesI don't even know where or why I bought it but I'm glad I did.

It's very easy to use and always has a recipe that covers whatever ingredients I have on hand -- so I don't need to go running to the store.

Indeed -- a good basic, down to earth book full of authentic recipes. No General Tso's Chicken here!

My first copy was in 1979, and that was the 9th printing, so it has been around for a loooong time. (relatively)

• 2 months later...

Over the weekend I used "Chinese Seafood Cooking" by Stella Lau Fessler.

This is a modest book, but covers its subject very well. It is out of print, but available used on the web.

I found this book once at a used book store and rarely think of it. It is a perfect example of a "small" book about a single aspect of cooking that is usually short-changed in standard cookbooks.

BB

Food is all about history and geography.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you see Martin Yan’s cooking show?

He is a funny guy with Cantonese English accent, and he explains Chinese food in English very well.

I am not agreeing on him for he put many fruit in to his dish. I heard those stuffs was appeared on the Hawaii Cuisine Chinese food, which was popular before I was born. But his points on cooking method are very clear.

1.The major Chinese thickening agent is oil mixed with cornstarch, which is the biggest different between Chinese and Western cooking. I believe that Chinese wouldn’t accept roux in their food in the next century.

2.There are 5 basic sauces in French cooking, but only one for Chinese--- Soy Sauce. If you want make your dish real Chinese, you can’t do it without Say sauce.

Here is his website, pretty useful.

http://yancancook.asianconnections.com/

I think his cooking hand book only cost $34.95 with a CD, so you can see his performance.

Edited by Qing (log)

"All the way to heaven is heaven."

___Said by St. Catherine of Sienna.

Let's enjoy life, now!

1.The major Chinese thickening agent is oil mixed with cornstarch, which is the biggest different between Chinese and Western cooking.

2.There are 5 basic sauces in French cooking, but only one for Chinese--- Soy Sauce. If you want make your dish real Chinese, you can’t do it without Say sauce.

1. Cornstarch and oil do not mix too well. I take it that you mean water mixed with cornstarch as a thickening agent?

2. While soy sauce is indeed use very often, similar to salt and pepper in Western cooking, I wouldn't say it is the *only one* basic sauce in Chinese cooking. Oyster sauce, vinegar, Hoisin, brown bean paste, chile bean paste, even shrimp paste, etc. all have their places. It is the different mix and match along with different processes (timing) and methods (steam, fry, deep-fry, stir-fry, braise, bake, boil, simmer, double boil, etc.) that make a variety of different dishes in Chinese cooking.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

In my memories, the first time I heard those names from Lee Ken Kee's commercials after I came to America. Those names are familiar to you like Oyster, Hoisin, Shrimp Sauce.

They are not come from the first three major Chinese Cuisines. 鲁菜Lu Cai (Shan Dong or Bejing Royal Cuisine) ,川菜Chuan Cai(Sichaun Cuisine) ,淮阳菜(Huai Yang or Shanghai Cuisine). Hoisin and Oyster sauce are used popular in 粤菜 (Cantonese Cuisine), even Shrimp sauce is Malaysian or Southeast Asian seasoning.

Like Singapore MaiFei is served in every Chinese restaurant, but it is not a Chinese dish.

It is still hard for Chinese people who live here to find a really authentic Chinese restaurant.

Let's enjoy life, now!

They are not come from the first three major Chinese Cuisines. 鲁菜Lu Cai (Shan Dong or Bejing Royal Cuisine) ,川菜Chuan Cai(Sichaun Cuisine) ,淮阳菜(Huai Yang or Shanghai Cuisine).

Are you saying in Lu Cai, Chuan Cai, Huai Yang Cai, they mainly use soy sauce to cook? I thought they use chili bean sauce 豆板酱 and brown bean sauce just as often. Maybe you don't consider those as sauces?

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

They are not come from the first three major Chinese Cuisines. 鲁菜Lu Cai (Shan Dong  or Bejing Royal  Cuisine) ,川菜Chuan Cai(Sichaun Cuisine) ,淮阳菜(Huai Yang or Shanghai Cuisine).

Are you saying in Lu Cai, Chuan Cai, Huai Yang Cai, they mainly use soy sauce to cook? I thought they use chili bean sauce 豆板酱 and brown bean sauce just as often. Maybe you don't consider those as sauces?

My wife is Shanghainese and she uses soy sauce (or rather several soy sauces) almost exclusively. She probably uses ketchup more than brown bean sauce, oyster sauce, haixin sauce or any other!

I have a number of Chinese cookbooks, but I seem to pick up Craig Claiborne and Virginia Lee's Chinese Cooking(which is apparently only available used). But you don't want my copy, as I have used it so much that the cover is about to come off. There are lots of very detailed instructions as to technique and many of the recipes lend themselves to making large amounts (the spring roll recipe is particularly good for this, for example).

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I have really enjoyed the discussion here about favorite Chinese cookbooks. After reading most of the posts, I have several of the cookbooks marked for possible bids on eBay, especially since several of the most often mentioned ones are now out of print. An interesting thread. Thanks.

lkm

I disagree with the person who disliked Tropp's "China Moon" book. The point of the sub-recipies is to give the home cook insight into how restaurants get that extra edge of flavor and texture into their dishes. Most can be substituted for without harming the dishes, but if you are willing to make the effort to prepare the stocks, vinegars, sauces or whatever, you can achieve something a cut above the ordinary - China Moon is one of my favorites. Also, there is some overlap between China Moon and the Modern Art of Chinese Cooking.

Nancy

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

I am not the person who said it first, but I don't like "China Moon", either.

Speaking of good cookbooks, I was browsing our local bigbox bookstore last night and came upon Grace Young's new cookbook "Breath of the Wok" or some such title. Didn't have time to look too deeply at it. Has anyone read it yet and could you give a short precis?

Edited by Ben Hong (log)

I am not the person who said it first, but I don't like "China Moon", either.

Speaking of good cookbooks, I was browsing our local bigbox bookstore last night and came upon Grace Young's new cookbook "Breath of the Wok" or some such title. Didn't have time to look too deeply at it. Has anyone read it yet and could you give a short precis?

I don't read cookbooks, but like to look at the pictures (which gives me equal access to the books in Chinese, of course). This one sounds interesting though. From the Publishers Weekly review (cribbed from Amazon's web site):

She offers a profound meditation on the wok's spiritual place, as well as its history and uses. As such, the book may be appreciated as a work of food scholarship as well as a cookbook. Nearly half of it concerns wok arcana, from an assessment of the best wok for a home kitchen to half a dozen "recipes" for seasoning a new wok (like Mr. Wen's Chinese Chive Rub).

Wok arcana, yeah! For a title, though, you can't top Hugh Carpenter's Wok Fast (and don't look over your shoulder?)

Barbara Tropp's China Moon cookbook came out in 1992. I guess it would have taken a couple of years to write it. I'm not sure when she first discovered she was ill, but I would guess the mid 90s??

I was only at the China Moon Cafe once --- sometime in the 80s if my memory is right. At the time, looking at the menu,I thought it was part of the California fusion cooking that was beginning to take hold. The cookbook reflects it --IMMHO. Her short life was so full, and she was always reaching up. -- I guess the China Moon cookbook was the creative way to go, after her 'Modern Art' -- One of my bibles.

She signed my Modern Art book which I had with me. Her writing is very creative and covers the whole page. What really got to me was her ease in writing my name, as well as hers, in beautiful flowing Chinese. Not the writing of someone ith an illness.

As I had only been there once, I don't know what the food was like in later years.

It was only since I've been here at e-Gullet that I found she had died. I was shocked. Such a free spirit she was.

I had always looked at the Asian book section hoping for a new one from Barbara Tropp. I had no idea she was ill and also learned of her death thru this thread.

Her Modern Art of Chinese Cooking was my hands down favorite and is the most worn and splattered book I have. She is probably one of the few authors that gives true directions to master sauce chicken without overcooking it.

I did not like China Moon as much and although I never used any meal recipes from it, I did enjoy making some of the condiments such as the pickled ginger and using them in other dishes. Maybe not the best but I still like it on my bookshelf.

In that vein I also like Bruce Cost with Matt Mcmillin, Big Bowl Noodles and Rice.

Again, not the best but definately a nugget or two of valuable info.

Also, Susanna Foo's Chinese Cuisine

For Bibles I stick to Modern Art of Chinese Cooking by Barbara Tropp

The Key to Chinese Cooking by Irene Kuo

The Wisdom of the Chinese Kitchen by Grace Young

Chinese Seasons by Nina Simonds

And to supplement the above any book by Ken Hom or Eileen Yin Fei Lo

Mind you I'm not Chinese. I'm a middle aged Jewish Lady who enjoys reading these books as much as cooking the recipes. I'm also looking forward to Grace Young's new book.

I thought Modern Art of Chinese Cooking had what I thought was a good, clear recipe for "silver thread" bread. I made a bunch of stuff from that book long ago when I still had a kitchen. I think the clams in black bean sauce (doing this from memory) was very easy and clear, though it's an easy recipe. Also, some of the stories and explanations were interesting to a non-Chinese like me.

For some reason I never took to China Moon, as I did her other book.

You can sometimes find the Florence Lin dumplings, noodles book in the library. Just check it out, go to Kinko's and copy what you want.

I love all Wei-Chuan books, but esp the chinese snacks one and dim sum. I like to ogle it more than cook from it. However, for non-Chinese, it's maybe not the best first book. I think for non-Chinese, I would tell them to go with Eileen Yin Fen Lo's books, or maybe the Modern Art one, maybe supplemented with some of the interesting ones coming out today like that "Dim Sum: The Art of Chinese Tea Lunch" by Ellen Leong Blonder. I haven't tried the Blonder book, but it looks good for a first timer.

Like I said in my earlier post, I have tried a few recipes in the Time Life series China book. Has anyone else tried it? I thought the recipes would be worthless, so I was surprised when they came out well. I've only tried a few though.

Of all these books, I think I would nominate Modern Art and Wei-Chuan (Chinese Snacks) to go with me to the crapper.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Wei-Chuan is a Taiwan company, and I think there plant is located in CA.

The "Golden Bowl," whose products' trademark called "Wonton." The quality is better than Wei-Chuan's usually, and it also more expensie.

The crapper or springroll skin in Wei-Chuan are made from machine, but "Woton" are mostly man made in NY.

Let's enjoy life, now!

I love all Wei-Chuan books, but esp the chinese snacks one and dim sum.  I like to ogle it more than cook from it. 

Joan, since you seem to be in SF a lot, be sure to go to EastWind Books (1435 Stockton) for some serious ogling. Cookbooks in the hundreds, mostly from China, HK and Taiwan, but at least half bilingual. Lots from the Wei-Chuan and Pei Mei series', and many that I have no clue about, but have delectable illustrations.

I'm not sure if anyone else is the same, but I buy cookbooks for the beautiful pictures (usually close to meal times) and maybe a couple of recipes that appealed to me. I also like to buy books that have English pronunciation AND Chinese characters with the names. Keep thinking that one of these days, I may learn to read the REAL "menus on the wall". How can you folks name all your favourites the way you do in the posts? I had to go and pull out my most worn-looking books to see who the authors were!

My first Chinese cookbook purchase was Helen Burke's Chinese Cooking for Pleasure. The names of the dishes sound just like the way I remember them! :laugh: I don't remember whether I used any specific recipe, but more for guidance and jogging my memory as to how Mom made it. The Time-Life cookbooks were also some of my first acquisitions. That was when we were into the "subscription"mode . . .all those different sets of How-To books bt T-L.

Bley Miller's Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook sits prominently in my bookcase ... because it is so damn big! Again, it is mainly used for reference.

I just found out that I have several Wei-Chuan cookbooks! :shock: The one I read most often is the Chinese dim sum one. The steamed beef balls are very good.

Along with the Wei-Chuan book, I use Mary Tsui Ping Yee's Chinese Immigrant Cooking quite a bit, for traditional foods such as: New Mother's Chicken Soup, Dried Bok Choy, Dried Oyster soup, etc.

A good book for beginners is The Asian Kitchen: The best of Chinese and Far Eastern cooking by Lilian Wu. Good pictures showing the ingredients, cooking process and the final product.

China Moon...Years ago, I bought the book and enjoyed reading it. Then we had the opportunity to go to SF. I had the address of the restaurant in my hand, and was so excited about trying out the dishes at its source! We walked and walked, kept checking the address, and yes, it's true, it no longer existed. The small store front was all boarded up. In fact, most of that street was abandoned. :sad: I, as other posters have since learned from Egullet, that Ms Tropp had been ill, and has since died. I think I was there around 1996. I still pull out the book for a read, but have never made any of the recipes. I guess the "original taste" wasn't there to inspire me to try the recipes.

Of the +150 cookbooks in my bookcase, I'd say, 75% are Assian cookbooks.

Do any of you buy the Australian Women's Weekly Library soft cover books? I have quite a few. They are also interesting additions to a cooking library.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dejah -- How sad to think of China Moon all boarded up. It had been such a vital place.

Cookbooks!! LOL! I have shelves and shelves of them, also -- most of which are Chinese. People are bug-eyed when they come here!

Ben - Gary, thanks for the tip on the new Grace Young book. Sounds like something I would like --- historic information, along with recipes. I plan to look for it.