• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sadlers Wells/Angel

There's the Quality Chop House near the corner of Roseberry Ave and Farringdon Rd Old wooden pews have character but can be hard on the bum. Eclectic, tasty Modern British menu and reasonably priced.

Edited by Tonyfinch (log)

Moro is in Exmouth Market and I think it's the best place at that end of town, if you're in a hurry you can eat at the bar. Also in Exmouth Market there's a Pizza Express (always empty), a place called Meze that I haven't tried but seems to do OK business, a Strada and a "tapas" bar. I use the phrase loosely. I'd avoid all apart from Moro.

There's a tapas place called Lakorn Thai next to Sadler's Wells but the spicing is in insipid and again, I'd avoid.

I've only eaten at the Fish Shop once (last month) and I have to disagree with Simon, I didn't really have a very good meal and the fish wasn't really, really fresh. I would go back if people who had been recently said it was really great as it's about 300 metres from where I live :-)

Depends how far from Sadlers Wells you want to go....

Oh, and there's a nice pub called the Harlequin at the back of Sadlers Wells. Great music on a Sunday night. I think it's a "proper" london pub.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

there's a really good, newish, rough and readyish 'gastropub' called the easton on, uh, easton st, just across rosebery ave from exmouth market.

lots of good-looking young thangs and an interesting 'australian' menu which we didn't sample but smelled marvellous (mmm, barbecue ...)

m

Oh and the Peasant ( or is it Pheasant?) on St John St is only a short hop ( even for someone of your considerable girth ) from SD

Can we all just also take a minute of silence for tarka to consider their temerity in disagreeing with me and to wave goodbye to their place at the St J dinner :biggrin:

To be fair, I hear as many bad things about the St J Fish dhop as I do good, but the three meals I have had there have all been more than fine and one, very good

S

and there was me telling everyone that i was simon's otter in shining armour. sniff. sniff.

out of interest, given the huge amount of restaurants and the fact that there are only seven nights in the week, what makes you go back to somewhere if you haven't had a great meal there? i work on a one stike you're out basis at the moment.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

i work on a one stike you're out basis at the moment.

I'll give a place a second chance if I hear good reports from a trusted source. Having said that, the Fish Shop on St John St has used up its two chances for me. Which is a great shame, as I was a huge fan of the Upper St Fish Shop and Alan and Olga welcomed us very warmly when we first went there. Haven't seen them there since, though.

• 2 weeks later...

went to the peasant last friday. might go again as they have a lovely outside balcony that was really, really nice to sit out on on a hot night.

we ate: chorizo and pear salad and grilled goats cheese salad to start. we followed with a chicken and avocado salad and tuna with a roasted pepper sauce. it was all kind of adequate, i can cook better myself at home, but it wasn't expensive and the setting was nice.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum