• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pricing California Wines

Craig Camp

Interesting article, Craig. One of the factors that the researchers seem to have left out is: Ego. Winemaker/Vineyard owner's egos go a long way when pricing the wine comes up. The old formula from UC Davis says that to find the price of the bottle, divide the price per ton by 100. This actually seems to work in the $15-$40 range. After that, are people really paying $8,000-$12,000 a ton for grapes? I don't think so. That is the ego part. 2 years ago a salesman brought me a first release of a merlot from Napa Valley. The wine cost $100 a bottle wholesale ($150 retail, $225 restaurant price). First release. No track record. When I asked why it cost so much, the answer was ....blah blah blah French winemaker......blah blah blah Jess Jackson thinks its worth that.....blah blah blah. The same wine, 3 vintages later, is on the market now for $60 wholesale, despite good ratings from Parker. Go figure.

Mark