• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Deli ColeSlaw

menton1

One of my favorite things to take out to eat at home is a great coleslaw. Once upon a time, there was a deli on every corner making their own coleslaw, each one a little different, but all very good.

These days homemade coleslaw is very hard to find. Most of the delis now use a commercial coleslaw, they buy it in large tubs and put it in their displays-- too much mayonnaise, too much sugar, not good. Even Grand Union made a very good coleslaw on the premises for the last 5 years of their existence-- but they are gone now.

Can anybody recommend a deli (North Jersey, please) where they still make a coleslaw in the store, fresh, and that tastes really good? Thanks very much.

The Town Cupboard or Cupboard Deli (something like that) on Broad Street in Bloomfield makes good homemade potato salad. They have cole slaw there, but I have not had it. It may be homemade as well. If you live in the area - check it out!

Susan

Can anybody recommend a deli (North Jersey, please) where they still make a coleslaw in the store, fresh, and that tastes really good?  Thanks very much.

I'm sorry I don't know the name of this little place, but the cole slaw is AWESOME. It is just north of the brand new North Arlington bridge (joins Belleville & North Arlington via Route 7). Once over the bridge into North Arlington, turn left and it is just up the street on your right hand side. They have a large aluminum structure for dispensing bags of ice cubes right outside (as a landmark).

Nutley Resident

-------------------------

Proud to be American

Proud to be a Nutley Township Resident

The Millburn Deli in Millburn on Millburn ave. They also have a sister deli in Florham Park. They make the bes homemade cole slaw and russian dressing I have ever come across ( And i have looked far and wide.) Also grab a Sloppy Joe while your at it (3 pieces fresh baked rye, swiss, russian, cole slaw, meat of your choice. Peopl have them shipped cross country. I still drive back from Manhattan for them.

Msk

Rosie,

Florham Park Deli 182 Ridgedale Ave, Florham Park, NJ 07932 973-301-2000

I looked this up and called to confirm it for you. The Russian dressing, cole slaw, and sloppy joes are that good. The combination of these synergistic home made ingredients is great even if you don't like them normally.

Let me know what you think if you try it.

No commercial connection here, just a fan for about 20 years.

Msk