• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grits, grits, grits!

Here is a photo of the blue posole and the "blue" corn, which is different from blue corn I have purchased in the past - it is almost purple. 

I will grind some of each tomorrow and take photos.

gallery_17399_60_81461.jpg

They both seem to be a much lighter color than I expected.

gallery_17399_60_99840.jpg

gallery_17399_60_63549.jpg

I should note that the result is not as coarse as I like. The next batch I will adjust the mill so the meal is not quite as fine.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have been so busy I haven't gotten around to it. My housekeeper went to Las Vegas with a bunch of her girlfriends and won't be back until Wednesday. I have been lending a bit of a hand to my neighbors who have had a huge crowd visiting - that are just now beginning to hit the road. There was no need for me to cook anything Friday or yesterday or today, they have kept bringing me left-overs - often dishes that were not even brought out for T-day because they had so much.

I am trying to limit my intake, but everything is so good. I have stored the meal in the freezer to keep it fresh.

Next weekend looks like the best time.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Here is a link to a story in the DMN about serving grits during the holidays with suggestions to make them special.

We've devised a better way to make grits the star of holiday entertaining: Start by making individual rounds with quick-cooking grits and Parmesan cheese. They're as easy as drop cookies. Then put out a variety of toppings, and invite everyone to create their own combinations. Voilà! An interactive grits bar.

you might have to register to read the story, it's free.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Here is a link to a story in the DMN about serving grits during the holidays with suggestions to make them special.
We've devised a better way to make grits the star of holiday entertaining: Start by making individual rounds with quick-cooking grits and Parmesan cheese. They're as easy as drop cookies. Then put out a variety of toppings, and invite everyone to create their own combinations. Voilà! An interactive grits bar.

you might have to register to read the story, it's free.

Yes, very nice, but they omitted the red eye gravy. That's just not right...

Well, I guess when you are eating grits and ham, a single serving will be just enough to piss you off.

These look an awful lot like arepas, a corn-based round bread made in northern South America. I suppose it is easier for most Americans to find grits in the store. They do sound good!

These look an awful lot like arepas, a corn-based round bread made in northern South America. I suppose it is easier for most Americans to find grits in the store. They do sound good!

I would think that there would be no problem finding Masa Harina in Dallas for Arepas. This reminds me more of fried grits than arepas, though granted they are baked in this recipe. I think of Arepas as more akin to a cornbread sandwhich, and boy are they good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

To bring this topic back up to the front of the line, Here is a story from today's Chicago Tribune about the gloriusness of grits.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!