• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grits, grits, grits!

Still don't know which one or what to serve with it.....other than beer........................ :laugh:

More grits.

:smile:

Personally I think a grits vs. polenta cook-off is in order to resolve if there are indeed any discoverable differences. :wink::huh:

OOOOOeeeee. Would that be fun.

:biggrin:

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

Still don't know which one or what to serve with it.....other than beer........................ :laugh:

Okra?

Personally I think a grits vs. polenta cook-off is in order to resolve if there are indeed any discoverable differences. :wink::huh:

I made this recipe

Shrimp and Creamy Grits after heeding the advice that it is all very subjective. Made a slight change......cheddar cheese grits, rather than plain, and sauteed the shrimp w/ onion and celery before adding the Red Shrimp Broth.......scattered crsipy bacon on top and served with (! :shock: ) a spinach salad w/ vinagrette. Perfect amount of acidity as a counterpoint to the richness of the grits.

Count me in for a grits-polenta cookoff ! :biggrin:

ETA: I really like this guys site...

http://www.stephencooks.com/

Edited by dockhl (log)

Being a great fan of liver and onions, I found this recipe, including grits, to be quite interesting.

I didn't use calf liver because I have a lot of beef liver in the freezer, however this is very tender beef liver.

And, as evidenced by Lex Culinaria's notations, some Canadian's are getting the message about grits.

some time ago I came across a website with a recipe for "Down East coarse cornmeal casserole, sweet or savory, also with seafood or meats."

I haven't been able to find it today, although I know I bookmarked it, but I have thousands of bookmarks.

As I read the recipe I thought to myself, "Gee, this sounds a lot like grits or polenta basic cooking method, then placed in a casserole and baked, much like southern spoonbread."

a case of yankees adopting a southern tradition and re-naming it as their own??

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm not real fond of scrapple.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm not real fond of scrapple.

:laugh:

Nor am I, really.

I remember it as being a way to carry ketchup into their mouths for some folks, the short while I lived in Ohio as a kid. A very *traditional* way to carry ketchup, though. And maybe, just maybe? Made with grits as the binder. :rolleyes:

Grits are a Way of Life.

Polenta is a Way of Life too, but a different one.

In certain circles, Polenta is a Lifestyle.

Grits are never a Lifestyle.

No self-respecting Polenta would allow him/herself to be on a steam table at a cafeteria (high school, restaurant, football training table) in the South.

::ducking:::

Fabby,

who decided she had to leave the South once and for all the day her firstborn came home and asked for grits.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Okra?

The first public event in my new kitchen will be a Polenta/Grits cookoff, complete with smack-talking between the teams. No bikini cooking, though.

Who's in?

Fabby,

who don't kid about stuff like this.

Fabby,

who decided she had to leave the South once and for all the day her firstborn came home and asked for grits.

I think grits are irresistable as long as you use the right accent.

Who would want grrihts.

Now gr-eeeee-its. That is totally adorable.

I like grits with ham and cream gravy.

On the other hand, the power of grits can be frightening, as Al Green learned:

At the height of his popularity, Green's former girlfriend, Mrs. Mary Woodson, broke into his Memphis home in October 1974 and poured boiling grits on the singer as he was bathing, inflicting second-degree burns on his back, stomach and arm;

I love Al Green, but doubt if the story of an assault would have stuck in my mind for this many years if it hadn't been for the grits involved. :sad::huh:

From Al Green Biography.

Got some powerful imagery going on with grits.

Must run - time to cook some grits with . . .with. . .well gosh. There's so many good recipes. But what indeed should one add, besides. . .at best. . .more grits. Sigh. :smile:

Let's keep the subject on grits, please. Not bikinis or okra -- just grits, grits, grits.

And for what it's worth, grits are a statement. Grits are good. Grits are great. Grits are simply where it's at.

When you've had grits with a top-notch red eye gravy, then you can consider yourself informed. 'Nuff said.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Double post. My apologies. :sad:

But that reminds me, anyway, of someone who used to make grits often but swore they were just not the right texture unless a double boiler was used to cook them, slow.

So delightful they were, indeed, that probably they should have been against the law.

And, as evidenced by Lex Culinaria's notations, some Canadian's are getting the message about grits.

I love Grits and I live in Canada( I did grow up in Florida though), Unfortunately I can't find them here. I was in NC a couple months ago and I couldnt find anything better than supermarket grits. I mail order my grits from Hoppin John or Anson Mills.

Last year I sent Lex Culinaria 3 containers of grits( supermarket variety bought in Michigan) because she can't find them in Alberta.

My friend and fellow eGer Christine loves Grits too, maybe its because she spent her early years in the South( even though she's Canadian). I wish more ppl here would like grits.

On the other hand, the power of grits can be frightening, as Al Green learned:
At the height of his popularity, Green's former girlfriend, Mrs. Mary Woodson, broke into his Memphis home in October 1974 and poured boiling grits on the singer as he was bathing, inflicting second-degree burns on his back, stomach and arm;

I love Al Green, but doubt if the story of an assault would have stuck in my mind for this many years if it hadn't been for the grits involved. :sad::huh:

From Al Green Biography.

Got some powerful imagery going on with grits.

Must run - time to cook some grits with . . .with. . .well gosh. There's so many good recipes. But what indeed should one add, besides. . .at best. . .more grits. Sigh. :smile:

I had an uncle who was working part time in a prison kitchen in central Florida when he managed to seriously burn himself with an institutional sized pot of grits. Unfortunately, hot grits stick like napalm. Literally took the skin off when he tried to remove the hot grits from his forearms.

Yep, grits are serious.

Grits vs. Polenta cookoff? Where does one get in line to judge?

I had an uncle who was working part time in a prison kitchen in central Florida when he managed to seriously burn himself with an institutional sized pot of grits. Unfortunately, hot grits stick like napalm. Literally took the skin off when he tried to remove the hot grits from his forearms.

Yep, grits are serious.

Grits vs. Polenta cookoff? Where does one get in line to judge?

OMG -- like napalm! Funny and true! If any gets on the carpet, you have to wait until it dries to peel it off in a sheet.

My FIL, when he retired, used to help with the football program at the local high school (in SC where he lives). His group of guys would help prepare team breakfasts and whenever he was "on grits," the team lost. So they banned him from first stirring, then serving, the grits. He's a nice old dude and everything, but this was serious stuff.

Grits vs. Polenta cookoff does need judges and contestants. More as the site comes together. I think it's a smackdown whose time has come.

FWIW, I always hear grits as a softer eeee sound, rolling quickly from the front to the back of the tongue. Grehayuts.

Fabby, I just can't make that roll trippingly off my tongue (which has encountered tons of grits in this lifetime).

I'm about as drawly as they come, but my inclination is toward, "Griiiiiitttts."

rachel,

whose silverware drawer decreases by at least one fork a year, sacrificed to the god of Encrustment.

A bit of a digression from the recent posts but just curious - my ex MIL (from Charleston) introduced me to grits for breakfast, but she added tuna or, for special occasions, canned salmon along with the required butter and salt. I had to be very careful when serving the salmon because everyone had to have the same amount of bones! Is this just something she started, or is it somewhat common? I've never seen it on a menu. In case someone is totally turned off, it actually is quite good this way, but my favorite is shrimp and grits, especially from Louis's in Pawley's Island.

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

A bit of a digression from the recent posts but just curious - my ex MIL (from Charleston) introduced me to grits for breakfast, but she added tuna or, for special occasions, canned salmon along with the required butter and salt.  I had to be very careful when serving the salmon because everyone had to have the same amount of bones!  Is this just something she started, or is it somewhat common?  I've never seen it on a menu.  In case someone is totally turned off, it actually is quite good this way, but my favorite is shrimp and grits, especially from Louis's in Pawley's Island.

I had relatives in Adel, Georgia who made a sardine gravy for grits. Sardines and canned (home canned) tomato if I recall correctly. I can't say that I was especially fond of it, but she was proud of it and her boys loved it. They were about as southern and common as they come, so it is a traditinal variation.

Sounds rather Italian peasant, now that I think of it as well, but they weren't EYE-talyun in the slightest. I guess it goes to show you that there's nothing new under the sun.

I haven't read through this entire topic today, but I have been following it and I don't recall anyone posting a link to this thread Ways to eat grits. That was very active in the summer of 2005.

And this thread, earlier in '05 that discussed where one can find heirloom grits

with listing for several vendors.

And soon after I joint eG there was this thread on "Cheese Grits".

I now have some dried blue corn and some dried blue corn posole that was given to me by a friend who has been visiting in New Mexico for two months (she also brought me a huge ristra of Hatch chiles).

I don't recall ever preparing grits with blue corn meal - I have made cornbread with varying success - sometimes found the blue corn to be a bit bitter.

However I plan to grind some of each and see how it works. I am particularly interested in seeing (and tasting) the differences between the plain corn and the posole.

I haven't read through this entire topic today, but I have been following it and I don't recall anyone posting a link to this thread Ways to eat grits. That was very active in the summer of 2005.

And this thread, earlier in '05 that discussed where one can find heirloom grits

with listing for several vendors.

And soon after I joint eG there was this thread on "Cheese Grits".

I now have some dried blue corn and some dried blue corn posole that was given to me by a friend who has been visiting in New Mexico for two months (she also brought me a huge ristra of Hatch chiles).

I don't recall every preparing grits with blue corn meal - I have made cornbread with varying success - sometimes found the blue corn to be a bit bitter. 

However I plan to grind some of each and see how it works.  I am particularly interested in seeing (and tasting) the differences between the plain corn and the posole.

I've always found blue corn bitter as well. Thought it was just me.

:blink:

Make Johnnycake kind of grits I think, honey or sugar, though I love honey. If you can pour sugar into cream of wheat, surely it is not a sin to pour it into cream of corn?

Edited by annecros (log)

However I plan to grind some of each and see how it works.  I am particularly interested in seeing (and tasting) the differences between the plain corn and the posole.

I always make the posole and then put the leftovers (if there are any) in a food processor to make grits. How do you make them directly from the prepared hominy? I'm kind of excited!

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

I have a Nutrimill. It featured prominently in the old thread on ways to eat grits (Page 3 post #65) and also in my

Cornbread from Scratch topic.

I just grind the stuff, coarse for grits alone, but I grind some finer for cornbread.

Here is a photo of the blue posole and the "blue" corn, which is different from blue corn I have purchased in the past - it is almost purple.

I will grind some of each tomorrow and take photos.

gallery_17399_60_81461.jpg

They both seem to be a much lighter color than I expected.

gallery_17399_60_99840.jpg

gallery_17399_60_63549.jpg