• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean foods-- chigae,jigae,jjigae

I usually spell it jigae or -jim. As far as I know, it just means stew. Jim are usually steamed or braise. Jigae are boiled. Then there are jeongal which are simmered more slowly. Usually I just say jigae or jim though.

Stews are usually cooked quickly, liquid is no more than half of the dish, often some of the ingredients are cooked seperately and then added. Stews are served family-style in a large pot.

Doenjang-jigae with tofu and clams is great. Sundubu-jigae with silken tofu (dubu). Kalbi-jim with short ribs and ginko nuts and pine nuts.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

torakris, totally coincidentally, I am right now (a) eating homemade kimchi chigae, about which I (b) just turned in a TDG column. It's a mildly heretical recipe, but it is very tasty.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Heretical is a strong word. I'll sneak-preview it. Basically, I wanted some porky broth for my kimchi soup, so I braised and shredded some pork shoulder, skimmed the braising liquid, and threw in kimchi and scallions and boiled until done. It's usually made with tender pork, right?

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

In my experience the choice of meat is up to personal tastes. I think pork is the norm, but some households substitute flank steak or brisket, shredded, or whatever was leftover from dinner the night before.

Oh, and don't forget the Spam option. I think that would be heretical.

mamster, that's fine. And would be good.

Budae-jigae (Army Base Stew) has tteok (rice cakes), spam, hot dogs, and whatever else is around.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

mamster, that's fine. And would be good.

Budae-jigae (Army Base Stew) has tteok (rice cakes), spam, hot dogs, and whatever else is around.

oh yes the budae chigae, one of newest discoveries:

http://www.yorizori.com/trans/recipes_sub08.html

for some reason the ingredient list don't include nearly as much stuff as is shown in the picture.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 3 weeks later...

Just to elaborate on Jinmyo's excellent classification. Roughly speaking, the divisions of Korean cooking techniques are as follows (with qualifications in parentheses):

boiled dishes:

tchigae -> stew (though not slow-cooked like many Western stews)

jeongol -> one-dish hotpot (like Japanese nabe more or less)

kuk -> clear soup

tang -> thicker soup (though there are a number of exceptions to this

kuk/tang dichotomy)

tchim -> braised or steamed dishes

twigim -> deep-fried dishes

bokkeum -> stir-fried dishes

gui -> grilled dishes

I'm sure there are others I forgot as well . . .

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

• 1 year later...

I just found this thread...

I'd love to know how to prepare kimchi chigae/kimuchi nabe/kimchi chige, aaaah...

Last time I tried preparing it, I found it a bit, er, underseasoned. It's been a long time since I attempted it, as I'm a bit intimidated. I think it's supposed to be a home-y dish, but I'm missing something, somewhere. So I'd love to know what those who know do. :smile:

Amy

It's one those non-recipe dishes. It's a way to use up sour kimchi, if you can imagine that. Uncured pork belly is most commonly used, but you can subsitute a leaner cut of pork or beef. Lamb or chicken is not recommended at all. Following is the most basic version. You can add more or less meat or kimchi to suit your taste. You can also add onions, scallions and tofu. White beef stock can be substituted for the water. For those who are used to restaurant versions and prefer that taste and you feel that something is missing, it's most likely MSG or Hondashi.

1 lb Pork belly

2-3 cups sour kimchee, chopped into 2' pieces

1/4 cup kimchee liquid (optional)

water (or white beef stock) to cover

2 tablespoons tablespoons Korean red pepper flakes

2 cloves crushed garlic

Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer untill kimchi is tender. Adjust seasoning, salt or fish sauce if you prefer.

• 1 month later...

Mine is soon dubu jigae. Unfortunately, I'm in central London with really bad Korean Restaurants. Guess I'll have to wait until the next time I'm back home. :sad: (BTW, not my mom's...she's notoriously a terrible cook. I don't know how to cook Korean food because she can't really make any dishes herself. My father had to teach her how to cook rice when after they got married. To this day, he's the one who cooks the rice. How difficult is it to learn how to use a rice cooker?)

Mine is soon dubu jigae.  Unfortunately, I'm in central London with really bad Korean Restaurants.  Guess I'll have to wait until the next time I'm back home. :sad: (BTW, not my mom's...she's notoriously a terrible cook.  I don't know how to cook Korean food because she can't really make any dishes herself.  My father had to teach her how to cook rice when after they got married.  To this day, he's the one who cooks the rice.  How difficult is it to learn how to use a rice cooker?)

Soon dubu jigae is really easy to make. I posted a basic recipe this thread.

Btw, I think your mom is faking it to get your dad to make the rice. :wink:

Mine is soon dubu jigae.  Unfortunately, I'm in central London with really bad Korean Restaurants.  Guess I'll have to wait until the next time I'm back home. :sad: (BTW, not my mom's...she's notoriously a terrible cook.  I don't know how to cook Korean food because she can't really make any dishes herself.  My father had to teach her how to cook rice when after they got married.  To this day, he's the one who cooks the rice.  How difficult is it to learn how to use a rice cooker?)

Soon dubu jigae is really easy to make. I posted a basic recipe this thread.

Btw, I think your mom is faking it to get your dad to make the rice. :wink:

Thanks for the recipe. I'll be in the Oxford street area tomorrow and will stop by the Korean grocery near there to pick up the ingredients. I hope I can get soon dubu!

Hey, I never thought about if my mom was faking it. Clever gal! Kind of like me telling my hubby I can't iron...hee hee!