• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold summer soups (sweet or savory)

jackal10

Beginners luck:

one pint of Total Yoghurt

two quart Butter Milk

one can/jar of "Felix" brand Swedish Lingonberries

four Tblsp. finely grated fresh Horseraddish

four ounce Lime Juice

half a cup Clover Honey

" Osterize -it "

vatt, no Kommentar ?

Peter

My diet lately has precluded choking down any hot soups, but I am finding that I really like chilled Rotel and a real nice chilled layer of a couple slices of rare roast in the bottom of the bowl. With lemon slices, of course.

This actually sounds quite good to me....sort of a Mexican gazpacho with meat. Thanks.

And....I've got a plethora of zucchini from my garden. Been looking for a cold zucchini soup. Did google it and found some recipes, but wonder if anybody out there might have a recipe that they use and would recommend.

Thanks.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Lady Jaymes, I like to smoke zucchini, then chill it and clean it up into cubes, matchsticks, or whatever, before using it. I love the taste that way, because it loses that kind of dewy drops that come out, and changes them into something a little more deep and interesting. I think then it would maybe go with a lassi- kind of soup base, with some good spices to match, and maybe some grilled sweet corn? Damn, I am making myself hungry :blink:

I made cold fava bean soup.

Took them out of the shell, blanched them, peeled them, etc.

Then, when done, served them in little tiny tiny plastic shot glasses at a party last week.

Took them around on a tray, asking people if they wanted a "shot" of cold fava bean soup!

It really was just a mouthful, and everyone LOVED it!

Philly Francophiles

I think borscht can be very refreshing in the summer. And there are several ways to make quick and easy shortcut versions.

I'll admit that sometimes I just take a jar of pickled beets (a good, high-end brand) and remove the beets, and then add some yogurt or sour cream and lemon juice, replace the lid and shake until the whole thing is frothy.

And also there's this version:

1 33-oz jar borscht shredded beets

8 oz sour cream or plain tangy yogurt

15-oz can crushed pineapple in juice

Put all ingredients (including pineapple juice) in a blender and puree. Serve chilled.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I make a cucumber-avacado soup, with cubes of watermelon that gets good reviews. No set recipe, really: just puree Peeled, seeded cucumbers, ripe avacados, salt, pepper, garnished with watermelon. Sometimes I add parsley or cilantro, sour cream, etc.

Ian

Lady Jaymes, I like to smoke zucchini, then chill it and clean it up into cubes, matchsticks, or whatever, before using it. I love the taste that way, because it loses that kind of dewy drops that come out, and changes them into something a little more deep and interesting. I think then it would maybe go with a lassi- kind of soup base, with some good spices to match, and maybe some grilled sweet corn? Damn, I am making myself hungry :blink:

Mabelline, thanks for that idea. I've found a cold zucchini soup recipe that I think I'm going to try sometime this coming week. And I think I'm going to smoke the zucchini first. Might give it a nice twist.

Chilled Zucchini Soup

1 T olive oil

1 large yellow onion, medium dice

1 T chopped fresh garlic

8 cups chicken or vegetable stock

4 large zucchini, sliced (or broccoli, cauliflower, yellow squash, asparagus, etc.)

1/4 cup dill

1 T curry

8 oz. sour cream or plain yogurt

In bottom of soup pot or Dutch oven, heat oil. Brown onion and garlic. Add stock, vegetables, dill and curry. Cook, covered, until veggies are tender. Cool. Transfer to blender or food processor. Add sour cream or yogurt and puree until smooth.

Beginners luck:

one pint of Total Yoghurt

two quart Butter Milk

one can/jar of "Felix" brand Swedish Lingonberries

four Tblsp. finely grated fresh Horseraddish

four ounce Lime Juice

half a cup Clover Honey

" Osterize -it "

vatt, no Kommentar ?

Peter...This sounds interesting and potentially good!

Come up with more.

We only go through life once. One can't miss what he hasn't tasted. Let's be more daring.

We'll give the dish a try!

Edited by DoctorPaul (log)

Dr. Paul N. Gervais

• 1 year later...

I realized that I am bumping up this old (or should I say cold?) soup topic because I just read an article in the NY Times on updating the classic gazpacho ...

Amanda Hesser's: Recipe Redux: 1968: Gazpacho

In 1968, Craig Claiborne, then The Times’s food editor, published a recipe for a refreshing, straightforward version from a home cook named Manola Drozdoski that was made with tomatoes, cucumbers, green pepper, garlic and the rest, which Claiborne called “Málaga Gazpacho.” ... (2006 updated version) Chef Tusk stripped out all of the flavors from the original recipe and essentially gave each ingredient its own stage. He ran a variety of tomatoes through a food mill to get a dense base. Into this, Tusk floated a simple cucumber granita, given a little zip with cucumber vinegar (although Champagne vinegar also works).  The rest of the ingredients he treated as garnishes, poising them on the lip of the soup bowl to mix in at your leisure. Cubes of bread and slivers of garlic were fried in olive oil; peppers and Serrano chilies were finely minced; cherry tomatoes were peeled (the only maddening part of the recipe, though worth the tedium).
Sure it requires considerably more effort to make the newest version but isn't this classic cold summer soup worth that? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

No one has yet mentioned Chilled Borscht...

lots of possible garnishes/contrast

nor Rossolnik, with pickled cucumber juice

Nor the old standby of cucumber and mint (cucumber, mint, ice, blender, cream)

chilled peach and buttermilk soup.  (try this with white peaches, its great)

champagne and kumquat soup.  (sometimes serve this with a scoop of kumquat sorbet)

strawberry fruit soup (when I make this, I like to serve a quenelle of sour cream or creme fraiche, although lately I've been thinking of doing a quenelle of panna cotta, not sure if that will work)

Soba

Sounds devine.

Do you make this yourself? If so, would you be willing to share the recipe?

All wonderful.

Also Oinaeng-guk (Korean Chilled Cucumber Soup).

This sounds delightful!

Did you follow Katie's advice and post a recipe to RecipeGullet?

Put me down as a big gazpacho fan. I like mine to taste like a sweeter version of salsa.

Chilled cucumber soup is great, too, hence the request.

However, these are pleasures I don't make that often. Partner has never cottoned to cold soups.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Cream of avocado. The best and most luxurious taste of summer there is in my book.

All of the cold soups I ate in Korea are on my list. Mul Naengmyeon, Mul Kimchi, and the Mul Kimchi that had some sort of water spinach in it are my favs. And the cold white radish soup - what's that called? I'd love to get the recipe for that.

I think the NY Times did a feature on Naengmyeon recently, which made my mouth water.

you might like to check out this thread from the cooking section: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=44635&hl=

right now i'm playing with peach soup from the Cooking Lighr Soups & Stews Cookbook and Melon Gazpacho from Pam Reiss' Soup book

next month... when the tomatoes come in...gazpacho

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Sorry I don't have a cold cherry soup recipe, but here's a watermelon soup that my mother and I came up with one summer after having tasted a similar one at a local restaurant. We got 2 servings to go, took it home and dissected it, and this is what we came up with. Delicious and very refreshing!

STRAWBERRY WATERMELON GAZPACHO

Serves: 8

1/4 of a large watermelon

2 cups strawberries

4 limes juiced

1/8 of a large watermelon

1 medium vidalia onion

1 cucumber

1/2 yellow bell pepper

1/2 green pepper

1 bunch cilantro

8 slices pickled jalapenos, or more

dash of salt or sugar if necessary

Puree 1/4 watermelon and strawberries in food processor or blender.

Chop or thinly slice onion. Peel, seed and chop cucumber. Chop bell

peppers and jalapenos. Chop 1/8 watermelon. Chop cilantro.

Combine all ingredients in large bowl, adjust seasoning and chill

thoroughly.

I may be in Nashville but my heart's in Cornwall

• 6 years later...

Already this summer, I've made what is probably my very favorite cold soup at least four times. I make up a big pitcher of it and leave it in the fridge to have just a cup or a bowl when I get a hunger craving. It's so much better for me than the sorts of fattening snacks I usually tend to have.

Cantaloupe Gazpacho

These are the ingredients. You might have to play around a bit to get the exact formula right for you.

1 ripe cantaloupe. Smell the blossom end at the market to be sure you've got a ripe, flavorful one

fresh lime juice - for me, usually about the juice of one large, juicy lime

cilantro, chopped, for the soup, and a little more for garnish

Champagne vinegar, or sherry vinegar, or raspberry vinegar

about a tsp of chipotle chiles - I buy a small can of chipotle, whirl it around in a blender, use about 1 tsp or so (be careful, because it's hot) and freeze the rest in a very small tupperware container

You can add some fine-dice sweet (or purple) onion to the soup, or add it as a garnish

salt and hot sauce (Cholula, Valentina, Tapatia, or one of Rancho Gordo's excellent hot sauces) to taste

Cut the flesh of the peeled, seeded cantaloupe into fairly large dice - 1-2" squares - and place into blender or food processor. Or, you can use a hand-blender. But whichever you use, you want to leave it kind of chunky.

Add everything else to taste

Process until blended. Do not over-blend.

Chill well.

Serve with garnish: finely chopped red onion, cucumber, cilantro, extra hot sauce.