• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Polder Thermometors

Stone

We got our Polder as a wedding gift or maybe an engagement/shower-type gift, so that makes it around 9 years old. It has always worked well for me. I actually use it as a timer a lot more often than I use it as a temperature probe.

Stone, you know you're not supposed to pour sulfuric acid on the wire, right?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Stone, you know you're not supposed to pour sulfuric acid on the wire, right?

Where does it say that? It doesn't say that. No one told me that. That's bullshit, man, bullshit. What am I gonna do with all this sulfuric acid?

Edited by Stone (log)

I just ordered a Maverick et-73 from Gadget Source.  $45 including shipping.  This better be the last dollar I spend on a thermometer.

So when are you going to test drive it?

I'd read this thread before, but yesterday I was in a cookware shop, and in a minor fit of gadget lust, bought one of the Polder dual oven/food thermometers that Stone mentioned above. (*)

I returned it today and got my money back.

Straight out of the box (er, plastic clamshell, whatever) the oven temp sensor didn't work. At all. Fiddling with the cable a bit could sometimes get it to read Lo instead of Hi, but that was about it. As Stone said elsewhere, never again.

Maverick ET-73 is looking like a new lust object; any follow-up on it?

(*) Well, maybe it wasn't entirely gadget lust - when I entered the store, I was beset by a bevy of beautiful babes who were otherwise berift of customers. But I didn't totally lose it, buying hundreds of dollars of junk I don't need to impress some temptress shopkeeper. I got a replacement probe ($6) for my ancient Polder thermo-timer, which continues to work like a champ, apart from the occasional probe wire that dies from thermal overdose (one on the grill, dunno how that happened; one got broiled to death, I should have known). Previous eG threads have suggested wrapping the wire with foil to make it more heat-resistant - that should also apply to the other thermometers, since they all seem to use the same probes.

My Polder sucks too. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

There seems to be a lot of positive feedback on the Maverick E-73. From what I can find out about it, it is a remote version of the E-8. Is there really that big a draw to having the remote sensor? The E-73 costs 2-3X more than the E-8 and just doesn't seem worth it. Is it really that hard to remember to return to the kitchen at the approximate time you think the meat is done?

Edited by EJRothman (log)

There seems to be a lot of positive feedback on the Maverick E-73.  From what I can find out about it, it is a remote version of the E-8.  Is there really that big a draw to having the remote sensor?  The E-73 costs 2-3X more than the E-8 and just doesn't seem worth it.  Is it really that hard to remember to return to the kitchen at the approximate time you think the meat is done?

The remote is nice if you're smoking (bbq'ing).

You can set alarms, etc.

Then you don't have to constantly run outside to check the temp.

Here is their latest response.  I believe I'll let the issue die now:
THE HEAT FROM THE GRILL IS DIFFERENT FROM THE OVEN ,YOU CAN NOT COMPARE

THESE HEAT .THE OVEN IS ELECTRIC AND CONTAIN NO FLAMES AND THE GRILL IS

NOT

IT CONTAIN BOTH .BUT IF YOU WANT TO US IT ON THE GRILL YOU CAN BUT IF

THE

UNIT READES HI OR VERY HIGH LEVEL OF READING .THIS MEANS THAT THE PROBE

GOT

BRUN ,THE OUTSIDE OF THE YOU CAN'T SEE IT BURN, BUT THIS IS INSIDE THE

CORD.AND THIS IS WHY THE UNIT IS NOT READING CORRECTLY .

By the way -- are there any smug scientific bastards left who can explain to me why heat from a flame (12" away and under a water bath) is different from heat from an oven?

I am just reading this thread and I have to say that I am amazed at the level of illiteracy that this person has. Do they check if whoever they hire can read and write???? Polder should be embarassed because they hire such ignorant, illiterate individuals who are supposed to be customer "SERVICE" representatives. :angry:

FM

Edited by FoodMan (log)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I am just reading this thread and I have to say that I am amazed at the level of illetracy that this person has. Do they check if whoever they hire can read and write???? Polder should be embarassed because they hire such ignorant, illetrate individuals who are supposed to be customer "SERVICE" representatives. :angry:

FM

Word. :angry::angry::angry:

Edited by MatthewB (log)

Is it really that hard to remember to return to the kitchen at the approximate time you think the meat is done?

Yes! Especially if you are entertaining (or sitting around the pool drinking way too many frozen margaritas :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I am just reading this thread and I have to say that I am amazed at the level of illetracy that this person has. Do they check if whoever they hire can read and write???? Polder should be embarassed because they hire such ignorant, illetrate individuals who are supposed to be customer "SERVICE" representatives. :angry:

FM

Word. :angry::angry::angry:

Excuse my spelling Mathew, now it's fixed and I can vent.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

stone,

having once worked in a customer service organization, it's my experience that there's typically an escalation process that one could go through here, depending on just how much you'd like to play with these guys.....or continue the venting process until you get your entire 80 bucks worth.

so, how about:

To whom it may concern,

I have had an ongoing email discussion with one of your representatives, targeted at giving you feedback on the overall quality of your products. To date, I am not satisfied, either with your product or with the quality of your customer service organization. Since I know that it's normal for customer service organizations to have a process to escalate very dissatisfied cutomers, I'd like to volunteer to participate in yours.

So, please have a management-level representative (preferably, one with satisfactory literacy levels that exceed those of the customer service representatives) respond to my original email. Here it is:

like i said, it all depends on how much you feel like playing. i sent a similar letter to my friends at a large net-based computer company. after i volunteered to participate in their escalation process, they ignored my further emails. i will NEVER EVER buy another of their products, both because the original computer i bought sucked, and because they weren't willing to make it 'right'.

anyway, this was a fun thread to read, even if it were only to laugh the low-budget c/s folks!

matt