• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pig Pickin' T-Shirt Designs

Varmint

sorry rachel, about the simplified pig's head looking like a cat. a new, 'porkier' version is

being worked on at this very moment. i used to keep a pig's head in my sock drawer as

a drawing reference but i got a little boared with it and sowered on the whole idea.

yes katherine, i suspect you're right about 'mange' instead of 'mangez'. easy to change.

glad we caught this before the french pig pickin' police caught up to us.

r...i GUESS we could take off the 'PORKAPALOOZA" and the quote--which i liked despite your

feelings towards the author. we need something in there...i'm working on it.

i'm not certain but i don't think varmint would be all that comfortable having his address

and phone number being advertised all over the planet. it was not in his original punchlist

of what he wanted.

"comma and space in date"...check and check

and thank you jason for your stamp of executive approval.

graphic ovens are cooling at the moment. next version should be out late this evening.

once again, thanks to all-

Ecce homo qui est farba

Oh, and what's with the cat's head? (yes, I know it's supposed to be a pig, but it looked like a cat to me at first) I liked the simple circle before.

It's the Napster logo, isn't it?

As for pigs heads, there's a store in Manhattan that has a boneless pig head, dried and pressed flat, hanging in the window. In Chinatown, across the park (I think) from the Courthouse. Someone told me that these things were good luck.

This is brilliant. Since it's my pig pickin', I'll make the following executive decisions:

Keep the pig head outline. Fantastic.

Keep the French and the English.

Drop the "Too much pork for just one fork" -- that's a song from a local band, and this needs to be original, right? I could go either way with the Pigstockpalooza. Ah, what the fuck, keep it!!!

Move the date and address to the back under Pigstockpalooza. Make sure that it's Raleigh, North Cackalacky, not just Cackalacky.

I'd make the whole thing just a touch smaller.

Otherwise, let's roll. Get this baby going!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

This is brilliant! I never cease to be awed at the pool of collective talent here at eGullet. I'm in for a shirt for sure - whatever color, although if I can pick a preference I'd say gray if we can't do black.

You guys rock! Cross country, by committee, truly impressive work.

080402cool_prv.gif

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

herr doktor professor varmint,

thanks for the 'atta-boy' and the keen observations. i do have a better

pig's head outline in the works which will lead no one into thinking it's

maybe a gecko's head or a [R.I.P.] napster logo. pursuant to dave's

suggestion, i'll make the whole logo about 10% smaller and make the

type a little more readable. i made a little punchlist of the other small

things to be fixed. after incorporating these most recent suggestions,

i think we will be verrrry close to the edge of wetness.

i'm waiting for a third wind. for reasons i can't imagine, i've been on

this for the last 36 hours without sleep. that's no big deal for you

(happy 40th again!) spring chickens but i am old, Father William.

i really want you to see this before you leave for the greatest city

on earth to ingest heavenly comestibles so i'll do my best to have it

done no later than noon tomorrow. coming up next?...popcorn

with bearnaise sauce. mmmmmmm -michael

Ecce homo qui est farba

herr doktor professor varmint,

thanks for the 'atta-boy' and the keen observations.  i do have a better

pig's head outline in the works which will lead no one into thinking it's

maybe a gecko's head or a [R.I.P.] napster logo.  pursuant to dave's

suggestion, i'll make the whole logo about 10% smaller and make the

type a little more readable.  i made a little punchlist of the other small

things to be fixed.  after incorporating these most recent suggestions,

i think we will be verrrry close to the edge of wetness.

i'm waiting for a third wind.  for reasons i can't imagine, i've been on

this for the last 36 hours without sleep.  that's no big deal for you

(happy 40th again!) spring chickens but i am old, Father William.

i really want you to see this before you leave for the greatest city

on earth to ingest heavenly comestibles so i'll do my best to have it

done no later than noon tomorrow.  coming up next?...popcorn

with bearnaise sauce.  mmmmmmm  -michael

Michael, I've got a month and a half before I turn 40 and go to NYC, so you have plenty of time. However, we need to get these things in the distribution cycle. Plus, I've decided to charge a buttload of money so I can profit off of them. OK, maybe not. Again, my plan is to put them on CafePress at cost.

Thanks again for your awesome work on this. You've been designing like a madman, I've been eating barbecue like there's no tomorrow!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

whosrbud - great job! You rock!

i wish cafe press would do black shirts. I wonder why they don't?

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

That design is awsome. Can those of us that can't attend buy a shirt?

We need to pressure Cafe Press to get black shirts. How hard can that be?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

at long last--love. yes, in only 37 hours...with the gentle criticisms of 42 friends...

seven pots of starbuck's italian roast, six soujourns into the "when did we have this

pho?" container...five feedings of four friendly felines, four fabulous failures at getting

egullet.com accept the new .png format...three six-packs of san pellegrino (with gas,

of course), two pints of haagen-daz coffee, and one F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S client (mssr. varmint)

you too can learn how to design t-shirts.

the newest design may seem like a radical departure but it really isn't. to get the pig's

head to look more like a...well...pig's head, i enlisted the help of a little buddy...

fb727cec.jpg

we can always go back to the napsterhead if need be but i think this is starting to

look mighty tasty. after everything's approved rachel, i'll do the hi-res versions for

you. good journey varmint. sleeping 'till monday. -michael

fb728324.jpg

fb728323.jpg

Ecce homo qui est farba

I can't see the lastest images, but I loved the design previously. We are definately going to take two, and yes, it would be wonderful if we could get them in black!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I've edited the links so the images should come up fine, now.

Michael, awesome, tremendous, fantastic. I'll donate all my eGullet salary to you for this effort!

Question: What's in pink just above the pig's head outline? What's in pink before and after Pigstockpalooza? I love the way you did the "oo". I'm almost wondering if you could put a circle around it to make it look like a pig's snout. Nah, that's more work and not necessary at this time.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

little tiny pigs, of course! and on the back...under the date and place?...it's

the varmint six! these are low-resolution images so it's difficult to make out

some of the small details. i still need to figure out what that cockamamy font

is on the eGullet.com...maybe this weekend. thanks for the input--and now,

at last, it's off to bed.

Ecce homo qui est farba

We need to pressure Cafe Press to get black shirts. How hard can that be?

i wonder if they would do it if we gave them a guarantee on numbers. and i wonder if we could give them a guarantee to begin with.

They do have black shirts on Cafepress's premium stores, but there's a monthly fee involved with upgrading, and we just do not sell enough merchandise to justify upgrading eGullet's store. We have the products there mostly to make people who love eGullet happy. We really don't charge much of a profit over cafepress' base price. To do the upgrade we'd have to charge more for the products (so that we can just give it all back to cafepress), and to me it's just not worth it. For what it's worth, the white and grey t-shirts are a nice 100% cotton heavy-weight t-shirt material, not the really skimpy kind.

The beauty of CafePress is that they make the shirts as ordered. We don't get stuck with any excess, nor do we worry about not having enough.

Rachel, will you coordinate with Michael and CafePress to get this thing started? Again, my preference would be not to make any profit off of these shirts. If we sell a bunch, we'll get back some money, which we can plow into the pig pickin'. Of course, if the consesus is that we include a profit in the price, we would plow that money into my costs. No big deal either way.

FYI, the actual cost of these shirts is $13.99 for white and $14.99 for the gray. A sweatshirt (remember, this will be held in October) is $20.99. Standard shipping is $5.00.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Varmint -

Considering that your costs, pig, tent and, of course garbage detail post event :-), among other things will be considerable, I think that the shirt price should reflect a donation towards costs. While other folks have travel costs these are within their personal control, their choice. You, however, have a definite fixed cost in hosting the event on your property at a minimum standard and comfort level that takes into account uncontrollable elements like weather. This is a fixed cost that should be supported by the many as opposed to the one because we all will benefit from it. As long as it is clear cut and known to all what a method for contributing to this fixed cost is I don't see why on earth anyone should complain. Besides people love to get something for their contributions/participation or why else do we get shirts, socks and coffee mugs for all the volunteer work and donations we make in this society. Besides only in an alternate universe could shirt sale profits make more than a small dent in your outlay. Let's hope such an alternate universe prevails.

What do other folks think?

- Weka

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."

- Goethe