• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pig Pickin' T-Shirt Designs

Varmint

rough draft:

gullyshirtpink.jpg

I decided not to put a lot of work into the text, since it seems up in the air, still...

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

rough draft:

gullyshirtpink.jpg

I decided not to put a lot of work into the text, since it seems up in the air, still...

Looking good, zilla. Now if someone can do the version where the pig has swallowed gully, we'll have a front and back side of the shirt.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

i should probably know better than this but since i'm a

- lover of fresh-roasted pork

- professional graphic designer

- member of egullet

- an admirer of any two crazy guys who can eat at 5 different barbeque places in one day!

let me have tomorrow (aug 6th) to come up with a reversal logo--pig swallowing gully.

maybe even a comp with text! stay tuned-

-michael

Ecce homo qui est farba

i should probably know better than this but since i'm a

- lover of fresh-roasted pork

- professional graphic designer

- member of egullet

- an admirer of any two crazy guys who can eat at 5 different barbeque places in one day!

let me have tomorrow (aug 6th) to come up with a reversal logo--pig swallowing gully.

maybe even a comp with text!  stay tuned-

-michael

looking forward to it!

tommy,

thanks for the support. maybe you can tell me how to post pictures

within my message. i've just read through all the help menus and

can't find the necessary info. i don't have a personal web page so

i'd need to store the image somewhere...but where? i'll also check

with fat-guy since he posts pictures all the time.

Ecce homo qui est farba

well golly-bob gee-whiz gracious-agnes! even a blind pig (you won't be roasting a poor

blind pig will you?---say it isn't so.) i managed to figure out how to get a picture up here. this should

appear as an xray of fat-guy's stomach after a buffet at the Shrimp Palace. is that what you see varmint?

fb776ca3.jpg

Ecce homo qui est farba

Varmint,

just wanted you to know that i'm making very good headway on

the logo. i've still got a few hours of woodshedding on it. i didn't

get any feedback from anyone about the "official" colors of the

egullet logo but fortunately the way i'm setting up all the files, i

can change colors after the decisions are made about the design.

i think it's starting to look pretty cool...but then what would i know?...

i'm just an artist. with a little luck and less humidity, they should

be there in the morning.

-michael

Ecce homo qui est farba

well dr. varmint, unless you are a real night owl,you most likely didn't stay up

until 5:12 a.m. to see these. this old bod is going to pay for this-

ok. instead of creating these in a 2-d paint program, i built each component in

3dsMax (a 3-D animation system) which gives us terrific flexibility to make

changes...larger...smaller...change colors...font...whatever.

it took...you don't want to know how long it took but each of the 3-dimensional

parts are created. i'll be standing by for the first salvo of critiques and commentary.

all i ask is that if someone doesn't like a particular part...assist by making an altern-

native suggestion. otherwise it's like shooting artists in a barrel.

we have three samples to start with...front and back printed on white...and a gray

tshirt with same front info except the egullet logo has been added. notice the back

has the reverse gully inside of the pig.

in the highly unlikely situation that anyone is having difficulty with the words...the

french says... "Some days you eat the pig..." and on the back "Some days the pig eats you!"

the roughly translated latin on the back..."cuquus" = cook..."porcarius" = pig...

"apud" = in the presence of..."incendium" = fire..."fossa" = pit. cooking pig in a

fire pit. that wasn't so hard now, was it?

we probably should add the date and location somwhere which is easy to do.

FIRE WHEN READY GRIDLEY!!

fb74e9f6.jpg

fb74e9f2.jpg

fb74e9ed.jpg

Ecce homo qui est farba

This is a great design, Michael, and thanks also to Zilla's friend who initially ran with it.

As far as the design itself, I don't know if it could be improved, particulary with the eGullet.com plug -- we gotta have that. It's damn awesome. The pig eating gully is priceless.

I also agree that we should put "Raleigh, North Carolina" and "October 11, 2003" on there somewhere.

My only uncertainty with the design is with the text. As intelligent as the eGullet membership is, there's something inherently wrong about putting French and Latin on a pig pickin' t-shirt. Plus, I don't want to have to tell every other person what the thing says. Nevertheless, I love the French expression that you've chosen. It is perfect, isn't it? After eating at 5 bbq restaurants the other day, I certainly felt as if the pig had eaten me!

Folks, comments? Criticisms? Suggestions? I say we go with the design, keeping the eGullet logo. I could live with the French, but the Latin doesn't do it for me. We could say, "Barbecue -- eGullet Style". We could use some of the other phrases previously mentioned.

Rachel, how is this looking from a CafePress perspective?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I like the design and the words, I'd just like the words in English. I too, don't want to have to tell everyone what it says.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I agree, great words, just in English. I'd need the actual images to upload to Cafepress to see how they fit. It's impossible to tell when they are already on a t-shirt. I'm PMing whosrbud my email address.

I think a poster would be really cool too - maybe without the "Varmint's Pig Pickin" part on top -- as part of the permanent collection. Cafepress has a 23 x 35 inch poster available, printed landscape. When we're done with the t-shirt design, I'd love to see it redesigned for the poster.

Wow, awesome. Wanna work with Dave The Cook on all our artwork and logo material? Please?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Great work, whosrbud and zilla's friend. Doing design work for and by committee is really tough, isn't it?

My two cents:

- A tail on the backside piggie, as Varmint suggests.

- I like the French, and I don't mind explaining to people what is says -- in fact, if it initiates a discussion about 'cue, why not? And the juxtaposition of the language of Haute Cuisine with the earthiness of a pig pickin' is witty.

- But I'd drop the Latin in favor of repeating "Varmint's Pig Pickin'" and adding the date and place.

- Everywhere except the title on the front, I'd like to see a font with a slightly thinner stroke, or better yet, use caps and lower case. I think either one will improve legibility. Also look at moving the lettering away from the circle just a little bit more.

- I'd like to see the frontside piggie rotated five to seven degrees clockwise for a little better movement. You'll have to reduce him a bit and adjust the "tail," but that's why you're making the big bucks. :wink:

- I'm pretty sure the design is too big overall. Come down ten to twelve percent.

- For my money, the gray shirt is much better than the white one, but I'd like to see your color combinations on a black shirt. Given black's slimming effect, and the fact that we're all gonna roll out of NC a few pounds to the plus side, it's worth exploring this option. :unsure:

Edit to repeat: this is really nice -- a shirt I'd be proud to wear. Great work.

Edited by Dave the Cook (log)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Dave: Black shirt would be awesome but it would require printing the shirts up beforehand someplace in NC, because Cafepress doesnt offer black shirts. Cafepress can do white or grey.

We could probably get a nice deal on shirts if we get them made beforehand, but people would have to commit to buying the shirts in advance.

I like the french better than the latin. Somehow a french slogan for a NC barbeque event strikes me as really funny.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

thanks for your excellent suggestions. there's a fresh pair of images

coming out shortly. the egullet.com text remains an area of great

mystery, dave.

it's NOT the same font as i see on the china plate...and looks rather

like some funky font not found in nature. jason...is there an OFFICIAL

font for the logo? and if not you, who would know?....dave?

i just cobbled together the egullet text from a tee-tiny picture of

a plate available in the eG store.

i would 'luurve' it to be a black shirt as all of the colors would

really pop, but if it's a choice of gray or white, everything will

read better on the gray.

new designs available by...oh...3:08

-michael

postscript--i dumped the latin...and :sad: regretably the french.

thank you for the support for the french. i'll see if there's a way to

get it back in there. everything's in english at the moment.

Ecce homo qui est farba

Couldn't you have english on the front and french on the back? :blink:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Why French? Why not Japanese or German?

What do any of these languages have to do with BBQ? :unsure:

Edited by =Mark (log)

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

did i say an hour? i forgot that one hour estimates in computer graphics = three hours

of work. sorry for the delay. i managed to incorporate almost all of the suggestions

and even found a couple of compromises. i do need to know about the color of the

shirts as everything will look different on black as opposed to gray.

assuming you're wearing your ermine critique robes...we're ready for the second round.

fb73f02b.jpg

fb73f029.jpg

don't know why these are showing up only half-size. oh well. the english is at the top of the black circle and the reason for the French..."Why not Japanese or German?" is that ..

1. it's the birthplace of modern gastronomy as we know and practice

2. find out who Catherine de Medici was and what she did...and

3. the thought of using French for a pig pickin' was pretty amusing to me...and moreover,

i don't speak Japanese or German..-sorry- if you'd like to translate it for us, perhaps

we could put it on some cool sun visors varmint is thinking about ordering.

btw--there's now a great quote from one of the true luminaries at egullet.com on the back.

plumb near forgot...the PORKSTOCKPALOOZA incorporates several suggestions and is

particularly appropriate since we make veal stock, beef stock, chicken stock, fish stock,

and vegetable stock...but we don't make pork stock!

thanks, all. -michael

Edited by whosrbud (log)

Ecce homo qui est farba