• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

St John

Adam, they did the pizza.

They actually did the pizza.

Bourdain liked it.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Adam, there's also some weirdness in Edinborough. The fried Mars bars, haggis. They even fry a pickled egg.

All fried products are as nothing in he face of the mighty Edinburgh Deep Fried Pizza. Think Frozen McCain's, dipped in batter and deep fried (batter keeps the topping on).

Andy thanks. I thought "Cheap" and "Fucks" may be involved.

Do Edinburgh chippers do macaroni cheese pie* or is that an Aberdeen speciality?

*Mac and cheese in a pie case, deep fried. No batter: this is a delicate dish.

Had my fourth meal at St John last night, with Tony and Nick, and I was reminded why I like this place.

It had been suggested that Saturday night would be less busy than weekdays, but by 8 or 8.30 the place was very full. Service was pleasant, helpful and timely throughout.

I started with smoked sprats and horseradish sauce. Just that, no frills, no bits of coloured veg to decorate the plate. This was a taste from my childhood, and it was perfect. I suppose it could be argued that all the restaurant does is buy the smoked sprats, make some horseradish sauce and stick it on a plate at £6 a time (I remember the debate about pea pods!!!) but that's fine with me.

I was tempted by the lamb special (but that was for three people) but I settled for another special of poached chicken and leek. The chicken was tender and moist, with a good texture, but overall I found this blander than I expected. I thought the leek would raise its flavour, but if anything it just blended into a mild, albeit pleasantly flavoured, monochromatic dish.

The dessert was a killer rhubarb crumble (brilliant) with custard (lovely taste but I prefer it barely falling off the spoon).

We had a bottle or more of Viognier white, followed by one or two bottles of house red. Pleasant drinking.

The discussion was lovely, the company pleasant, the atmosphere relaxed, and the food excellent. Yes, I reminded myself why I like St John so much  :smile:

Well after being pleasantly urged by jinmyo to "eat guts" on this trip, I find that i did...literally. The pork chit'lins were pretty tasty. These seem to have been marinades and char-grilled. The charred grill marks giving a very pleasant flavor to the meat. I've never eaten chit'lin and was surprised at how meaty and tender these were. Some proper mustard and a side of mashed complete the dish.

For apps I felt that i coudn't pass on the roasted marrow (a house specialty). Four very generous marrow bones, with toast and nicely flavored parsley and shaved shallot in a light vinaigrette. Yum!!. I also sampled the sprats and found them quite tasty.

Dessert was a slab of Lancahire with an eccles cake (pie?). Also tasty.

Great meal!! Thanks Tony, and thank-you Martin!!

Nick

The sprats and horseradish were excellent, but a bit of a salt hit. I could feel my blood pressure rising.

I had Roast Middlewhite with Turnips. The pork was moist and tasty but the turnips came on the same plate swimming in the water they'd been cooked in-giving the whole dish a wet, school dinnerish kind of quality.I'd have preferred the turnips, which were sweet and pleasant, to have been drained.

I've had fresher Eccles Cake with the superb Lancashire cheese before now. I suppose it depends how soon out of the oven you get them. The combination still makes a wonderful dessert though.

Saturday night saw this restaurant full(or almost) and buzzing. It obviously has a unique appeal which must be to do with its minimalist and stark approach. What you see is definitely what you get here-no surprises no frills. Could it work anywhere other than Britain I wonder?

Edited by Tonyfinch (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Waiting for Fergus :

huge portion of Welsh Rarebit with Worcestershire sauce, two very good coffees and a coke in the bar whilst hanging aroung for Fergus to arrive to discuss an upcoming eGullet event. I thought it was 2.00pm, he thought it was 3.00pm, I had to leave before he turned up. The upshot of which is a return match over lunch next week, which I will report back on.

Rarebit was excellent, very mustardy, peppery and of course cheesey on superb home baked bread. Service was stand-offish until they found out I was there to see Fergus, when they couldn't have been more helpful. I love the bar area and was only disappointed by the lack of the chitterling sarnie on the menu.

Saturday night saw this restaurant full(or almost) and buzzing. It obviously has a unique appeal which must be to do with its minimalist and stark approach. What you see is definitely what you get here-no surprises no frills. Could it work anywhere other than Britain I wonder?

One can only pray.

Paid my first visit today. Popped into the bar, Welsh Rarebit as described by Andy - very good and an excellent rhubarb crumble with custard. Agree on the service though, difficult to attract a waiters attention in the bar area. Good value I will now return at some point for dinner.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Extraordinary lunch yesterday with Fergus, his dad plus various people dropping by the table including Trevor Gulliver, and Dan Lepard who is back baking at St John and for the soon to open St John Bread and Wine. An extremely convivial time was had by all. As I was a guest, I won't pass judgement on the meal but here's what I ate :

Skate, Green Sauce and Bread

Chitterlings and Parsnips

Blancmange, Apple and Shortbread

Each time I go, I'm even more impressed.

We went the other night (Mr. Akiko, my friend who is the chef of Ann Sather's in Chicago, and I) and while I am definitely a meat enthusiast and what Fergus is famous for is the meat... but with his vegetables, I'd happily be a vegetarian.

The salad and the mash and the turnips, were all incredible. And that was just our sides! The last time I was there we had the globe artichoke which was also incredible.

For starters, Chris had snails wrapped in bacon on a skewer (bacon was lovely, couldn't really taste the snail but was a nice texture), Carol had garlic soup (very nice), and I had the marrowbone salad, which in my opinion was the best out of the three.

Then Chris had the bath chop (slices of deboned pigs head wrapped in the tongue and panfried), Carol had the roast beef on dripping toast (the name alone makes my mouth water!) and I had the leg of lamb. I was a little worried about the bath chop but it was actually excellent. Super rich, parts of it like crackling and other parts as fatty as bacon... maybe fattier. Everything was very good, perfect roast beef (nice and rare, my mother in law would have been horrified but I think roast beef should be very rare), some of the spiciest (almost like wasabi) english mustard I've ever had, and very tender roulettes of lamb with the crispiest crust.

And since we couldn't let Carol leave the UK without having spotted dick, we had that (lovely custard cream with flecks of vanilla to pour on top) and an eccles cake. That lancashire cheese they serve with the eccles cake is absolutely the perfect complement.

Just writing about it is making me want to go back...

Very good meal at St J's last night. They had a great starter of confit chicken necks on as a special.  if any one is going soon, I can really recommend it

S

i'm going to St.J tonight - what are chicken's necks like? I imagine them to be quite rubbery, not too sure why though