• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktailmaster

MatthewB

Food & Wine (July '03) notes that Cornelius Gallagher (Oceana in NYC) is using the Cocktailmaster "to make his foie gras soup layered on top of chilled mango juice."

This device supposedly (I've never seen one) "separates liquids of different densities."

Anyone have any experience with this product? If so, comments, etc.?

Food & Wine (July '03) notes that Cornelius Gallagher (Oceana in NYC) is using the Cocktailmaster "to make his foie gras soup layered on top of chilled mango juice."

This device supposedly (I've never seen one) "separates liquids of different densities."

Anyone have any experience with this product?  If so, comments, etc.?

Wow, if this thing works (never seen one, either), I want one. For starters, I could've used it the other evening to prepare our Mayan Whores; the cocktails did not layer up, and thus the resulting drink(s) was inferior. Tasted okay, but looked atrocious.

For starters, I could've used it the other evening to prepare our Mayan Whores; the cocktails did not layer up, and thus the resulting drink(s) was inferior.  Tasted okay, but looked atrocious.

Patience is what always kills me when making these sorts of drinks. Of course someone orders one when we're at our absolute busiest. Bleh.

Practice (oh, that's fun with the boo boos and "let's try that technique again!) :laugh: and try pouring very slowly over a marachino cherry or a small spoon.

re the Cocktailmaster: I've never seen one of those thingys nor worked with such a gadget.

Patience is what always kills me when making these sorts of drinks. Of course someone orders one when we're at our absolute busiest. Bleh.

Pousse Cafe drinks and blender drinks are the bane of every bartenders existence.

Ordering these in an obviously busy restaurant falls into the category of sport I call "waiter baiting". Things a customer can do to make the waitstaff homicidal:

"I'd like the seasonal field greens salad with the autumn removed"

"I'll have the 16 bean soup with no lima beans or navy beans"

ETC... :raz:

Xanthippe: I simply must know - what on earth constitutes a Mayan whore?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Old news, el bulli has been using it to create beverage courses since 1990.

How else would you make chilled wasabi soda with hot lemongrass milk and lemongrass ice cubes???????????????

The back of a spoon with a barding needle is much more cost effective and more practical.

The cocktail master is a funnel with a suspended ball on the bottom that is placed in the center of the meniscus level of an already poured liquid.

Another liquid is carefully poured over the top of the existing liquid falling along the sides of the ball thus leaving the original meniscus level in tact. It doesnt "separate liquids of diverse densities" It has limited uses. The most famous use is for the classic "black and tan"

Edited by inventolux (log)

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

Pousse Cafe drinks and blender drinks are the bane of every bartenders existence.

Ordering these in an obviously busy restaurant falls into the category of sport I call "waiter baiting".  Things a customer can do to make the waitstaff homicidal:

"I'd like the seasonal field greens salad with the autumn removed"

"I'll have the 16 bean soup with no lima beans or navy beans"

ETC... :raz:

"Waiter baiting" makes me insane, particularly if the cretin doing the baiting is a member of our party. That person will never, ever join us again. Once, many years ago during a fashion show/charity lunch, a woman at our table asked that her slice of chocolate chip cake be returned to the kitchen and the chips removed! I was so livid I couldn't finish my own piece of cake (which was quite tasty, incidentally).

It's supposed to be about conviviality . . .

Xanthippe:  I simply must know - what on earth constitutes a Mayan whore?
KatieLoeb, the infamous Mayan Whore consists of tequila, pineapple juice, soda water, and Kahlua in a Pousse Cafe glass.