• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tour de France on July 5 in Paris

MarkinHouston

I noticed that the Tour de France starts in Paris on July 5. We have planned to take the train to Chartres that day to join Malcolm Miller's tour of the cathederal at 1210. However, if we could see the start of the bike race and then catch Miller's 1445 Chartres tour, we would like to include both in our plans. Does anyone know where I can find information regarding where and at what time in Paris the race commences? Thanks in advance!

Good luck getting anywhere near any of these race locations on that day; See if you can befriend someone living in an apartment with a nice terrasse facing the race!!

Head to Chartres early, stop in a local bar and watch on TV. (Better choice).

The official site:  Tour de France

And so I went there and is it just me or does anyone else find it odd that on the home page there appears to be no photo of Lance Armstrong? Have I missed it? If not, perhaps it is just an oversight. Perhaps he slipped their minds.

But just in case, I think I'll continue to get my info from www.lancearmstrong.com.

Edited by Bux (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

And so I went there and is it just me or does anyone else find it odd that on the home page there appears to be no photo of Lance Armstrong?  Have I missed it?  If not, perhaps it is just an oversight.  Perhaps he slipped their minds. 

But just in case, I think I'll continue to get my info from www.lancearmstrong.com.

I clicked on the home page, and, voila!, there he is, Lance Armstrong, on the bike on the top right. An oversight, to be sure. The French love Lance Armstrong, he lives in France 4 months of the year, and speaks French fluently, appears often on French TV. Totally non-political.

Just reading about Johnny Hallyday, a French actor/singer who is loved in France because of his emulating Elvis in his songs; he just turned 60 and he is in a hit movie now showing in the US, " Man on the Train" .

They also love McDonalds, surprisingly enough.

I am absolutely thrilled to hear all of that. And I am certain I must be mistaken. But the chap on the top right looks nothing like Lance to me.

Although I'm no expert.

Ah well....

It makes me happy to believe you are correct. So I will.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Jaymes, I've edited you post to make the link to Lance's page a clickable one, but I don't find much information about the Tour on his site. I suppose we'll get updates later.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Jaymes, I've edited you post to make the link to Lance's page a clickable one, but I don't find much information about the Tour on his site. I suppose we'll get updates later.

Yes. As soon as the tour starts the site is updated often - sometimes minute by minute, mile by mile. There are quotes and quips and clips from the news. The competition is handicapped; the equipment analyzed. It's really comprehensive.

There's even a section called "Lance's Lady" :biggrin: that offers little personal insights from the family.

Especially if you find yourself in a locale that does not offer extensive coverage of the race, the website is a lifesaver to anyone that cares and follows the race closely.

"Man on the Train" is a hit movie??? Since when? It even bombed over here in France, so I can't imagine Americans liking it much!

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

"Man on the Train" is a hit movie??? Since when? It even bombed over here in France, so I can't imagine Americans liking it much!

I had been told it did well in France; Here, it's very unlikely for a French movie to be a hit, it mainly appeals to the "Art & Independent"movie crowd, a pretty select group. The only French movie in memory to be a "hit" in the US was "Amelie". All I can say is that I liked the movie. Jean Rochefort was pretty terrific as well.

• 3 weeks later...
The French love Lance Armstrong, he lives in France 4 months of the year, and speaks French fluently, appears often on French TV.  Totally non-political. 

Again, I'm no expert and hope that you are correct and I am incorrect, but I believe that in fact he moved to Spain, primarily because the majority of the French treat him so poorly.

I am truly frightened. The Tour starts with a run through my neighborhood.

While awaiting your stage, shouldn't you advise us about the Tour? Doesn't that feature stages?

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Again, I'm no expert and hope that you are correct and I am incorrect, but I believe that in fact he moved to Spain, primarily because the majority of the French treat him so poorly.

Talk to Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld.

I've been following the sport of cycling very closely for years. I'll answer some of the questions posed here. Lance Armstrong did leave living in France(around the Nice-area) around 2 years ago, & moved to Spain. During the cycling season which lasts about 8 months, he's based there. His off-season home, is still Austin, Texas. Lance is fluent in French, & can converse in Italian & Spanish. Before living in France, he had a condo in Italy for several years.

At the official Tour de France website, the home page features the photo of 4 legendary Tour riders. They're the French legend Jacques Anquetil, Lance Armstrong, Italian Fausto Coppi, & the last French winner Bernard Hinault. More in the background, there's a photo of Maurice Garin(the first Tour de France winner(1903)).

The Lance Armstrong website is excellent. Lance was among the very first professional athletes, to have a professionally run website. It's still among the very best.

---------

Steve

Edited by SteveW (log)

There's actually a restaurant in Washington D.C., named after the Italian cyclist Fausto Coppi. The owners are huge fans of Fausto Coppi. The name of the restaurant is called Fausto Coppi or maybe it's just called Coppi's. I don't know if the food there is good or not.

I seem to recall that ex-cyclist Greg LeMond started a fine-dining restaurant in Minneapolis, Minnesota, around 5 years ago. Don't know anything beyond that.

----------

Steve

The Tour de France is being carried by a cable sports network, OLN -- Outdoor Live Network. Here in lower Manhattan on Time Warner cable it's on channel 122. They carry the race, I believe live starting at 9:00 AM EDT most days, and rebroadcast it three more times during the day.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

U.S. Postal Service just took today's team time trials. That puts the yellow jersey on Peña's back tomorrow moring. He's the first Columbian to take the yellow jersey in the 100 year history of the tour. Team mate Lance Armstrong is now second in the race, one second behind Peña. Peña beat Armstrong by one second on the opening day's individual time trials. Today was a great team effort, but the time gain for Lance is substantial.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

The Tour de France is being carried by a cable sports network, OLN -- Outdoor Live Network. Here in lower Manhattan on Time Warner cable it's on channel 122. They carry the race, I believe live starting at 9:00 AM EDT most days, and rebroadcast it three more times during the day.

Bux, thanks so much for the info-- I watched last night, and loved the coverage. (Nice views of the French countryside as well)

I get it on DirectTV Channel 608. So glad I dumped my cable recently!!

I hope I didn't ruin the excitement of watching it tonight for you. The USPS team is one of the last teams to start the time trial, so there's some suspense as the other teams finish and leave their times. Team Bianchi is also one of the last to start. I think they start just before USPS. Jan Ullrich, who most people consider Lance's greatest threat, rides with them. Armstrong's coach was interviewed before the stage and said he hoped Lance could pick up a minute on Ullrich today. The USPS team was said to have blown away the competition, but in fact, the second place team was only thirty seconds off the winning pace. I'm not sure what one can make of any individuals chances at this point, especially before the mountains, but the USPS team was a very well oiled machine with a well planned and executed effort.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable