• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Parsee cooking

Hub-UK2

I was talking to my next door neighbour at the weekend and we got around to talking about food. I believe she said her mother was a Parsee (have I got it right). She said although she cannot remember the food she has been told that it is some of the best food to be found in India.

If the latter is true do we come across these dishes over here (I live in the UK)?

Is Parsee cooking simplistic or elaborate - is it hard or easy?

Is there anything that dominates the style of cuisine?

Where I can I find some fairly straight forward recipes to try to form my own opinion about Parsee food?

If this is a repeat of previous topics my apologies.

:cool:

Their food is indeed wonderful. I think I posted a recipe for Parsee chicken here a while ago and SUvir I think had one on fish.

I have a very interesting book on Parsee food and will send you some info on it

My new book has tons of parsee recipes..if you like I can PM some to you

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

• 4 weeks later...

There are quite a few Parsi recipes in Cafe Spice Namaste by Cyrus Todiwala (who is himself Parsi). It is published in the U.S. and Britain. You may also search websites for Bhicoo Manekshaw's Essential Parsi Cookbook, which is put out by Penguin India.

Monica, I'm glad your cookbook has a lot of Parsi stuff in it - all the more reason to go out and get it!

In answer to some of your questions - I'm no expert but . . .

Parsi cuisine would probably be viewed as on the complex side of the spectrum. This is part because of the disproportionate percentage of Parsis who attained middle and upper-class status under the British Raj, and who could presumably afford to indulge in complex cookery, but also because of the wide variety of influences - Persian, Gujarati, Anglo-Indian, what a mixture!

Distinctive characteristics of the cuisine include sweet and sour flavors, which presumably was brought over from Iran (or was it learned from the Gujaratis?), as well the ubiquity of eggs in numerous guises.

The most famous Parsi dish is undoubtably Dhansak, a curry made from mutton or chicken, several different kinds of lentils, and numerous vegetables. It is served with caramel-infused rice and fried minced meat kebabs.

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

There are quite a few Parsi recipes in Cafe Spice Namaste by Cyrus Todiwala (who is himself Parsi).  It is published in the U.S.  and Britain.  You may also search websites for Bhicoo Manekshaw's Essential Parsi Cookbook, which is put out by Penguin India. 

Monica, I'm glad your cookbook has a lot of Parsi stuff in it - all the more reason to go out and get it!

In answer to some of your questions - I'm no expert but . . .

Parsi cuisine would probably be viewed as on the complex side of the spectrum.  This is part because of the disproportionate percentage of Parsis who attained middle and upper-class status under the British Raj, and who could presumably afford to indulge in complex cookery, but also because of the wide variety of influences - Persian, Gujarati, Anglo-Indian, what a mixture!

Distinctive characteristics of the cuisine include sweet and sour flavors, which presumably was brought over from Iran (or was it learned from the Gujaratis?), as well the ubiquity of eggs in numerous guises.

The most famous Parsi dish is undoubtably Dhansak, a curry made from mutton or chicken, several different kinds of lentils, and numerous vegetables.  It is served with caramel-infused rice and fried minced meat kebabs.

Thanks for another great post Skchai. We have missed you. Glad to see you posting again. :smile:

Do you make Dhansak? What recipe do you use?

Thanks for another great post Skchai.  We have missed you. Glad to see you posting again. :smile:

Do you make Dhansak?  What recipe do you use?

Thanks, Suvir. I've been out of town for a few weeks and just got back. Had a good time catching up on recent posts.

I actually have never made Dhansak yet - the sheer number of ingredients is somewhat daunting. There do seem to be simplified recipes out there but to me somehow that misses the point - isn't the whole reason for making Dhansak experience the complex ritual of preparation and consumption, not to mention the two-hour nap that follows after eating so much!

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

• 3 years later...