• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

sage

guajolote

Gnocci with sage cream sauce.

Viejo

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

Sandwich an anchovy fillet between two large sage leaves, dip into a light batter and deep fry.

This makes a lovely nibble with drinks, or part of an antipasti.

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

As an alternative you can make a zucchini "saltimbocca", just substitute thinly slice zucchini for the veal. Makes nice finger-type food, and is pretty tasty.

Ian

edit: this actually is not braised as in the veal saltimbocca recipe above, but lightly fried w/ an egg wash and lightly coated in flour. And, there's a thin layer of cheese - fontina maybe.

Edited by ianeccleston (log)

Tuscan salt: Fresh sage, fresh rosemary, garlic, kosher salt. Grind to a "paste" in food processor. Store in spice cupboard. Makes great pork loin (cut slits, stuff salt in) and is also great on roast chicken.

I could actually eat it straight from the container. :shock:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Tuscan salt:  Fresh sage, fresh rosemary, garlic, kosher salt. Grind to a "paste" in food processor. Store in spice cupboard. Makes great pork loin (cut slits, stuff salt in) and is also great on roast chicken.

That's what I was after in my above post. I think I forgot the garlic. :blink:

Tuscan salt:  Fresh sage, fresh rosemary, garlic, kosher salt. Grind to a "paste" in food processor. Store in spice cupboard. Makes great pork loin (cut slits, stuff salt in) and is also great on roast chicken.

I could actually eat it straight from the container. :shock:

I made this (rosemary, thyme, garlic, lemon peel) at the end of last summer and gave away jars for Christmas. I never thought to add sage, great idea.

MatthewB: Wrap in pancetta? Roast in oven? Does the oven get all greasy?

Ever since I got my Set It and Forget It, I haven't roasted a thing in the oven. Except veggies.

The great thing about the Tuscan salt is you can make a large quantity and the salt preserves it for a long time, so you can always have it on hand.

Yum. Pork loin.

:rolleyes:

This thread has almost solved my problem. I'm supposed to take a "casserole" to a family party this Saturday. As I have a nice sage plant, I think I'll make a ricotta/sage filling for some homemade pasta, sauce and bake it. (Though not in NYC, I have access to a great Italian deli that makes ricotta daily.)

I'm open to suggestions for the sauce while there's still time to shop. What would complement the sage filling, not overwhelming it?

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

MatthewB: Wrap in pancetta? Roast in oven? Does the oven get all greasy?

Ever since I got my Set It and Forget It, I haven't roasted a thing in the oven. Except veggies.

The great thing about the Tuscan salt is you can make a large quantity and the salt preserves it for a long time, so you can always have it on hand.

Yum. Pork loin.

:rolleyes:

I don't do the Barbara Kafka approach to oven roasting. :biggrin:

So oven messes by roasting are rare for me.

So, yes, wrap in pancetta & stick that loin in the oven. But I will roast it anywhere from 275 to 350 or so, depending on time, etc.

• 9 months later...

I made a winter squash, sage risotto topped with gorgonzola and toasted almonds for our Sunday dinner this week. Definitely lovely, but now I have several stems of fresh sage staring me in the eye when I open the fridge. Any ideas as to how to put them to good use?

Can I freeze or dry it with good results if I don't use it immediately?

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

I think that question was answered on this thread.

There's also a second link inside that discussion for another thread about freezing herbs.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

OH! I love fresh sage - it is so phenomenally different from the dried product, or anything most people are accustomed to as a "sage" flavor in stuffing etc, and it undergoes such an interesting transformation when cooked in fat.

Take the softer, more velvety leaves and heat them in a mix of olive oil and butter. Turn them once until they are brown and smell delicious, and you have the most incredible little crackly chips. I could eat these with salt by the handful, but a more judicious use would be to toss them with the sagey butter/oil, hot pasta, lots of pepper, salt, and some parmigiano. Tiny little bursts of intense flavor.

Or wrap slivers of garlic with the tiniest leaves, and stud a pork loin with them before roasting...

Judy Rogers has a recipe for a fresh sage pesto in the Zuni Cafe book, but I love a rougher version - just mill sage with some olive oil, heat just to take the edge off, add salt, pepper, cheese if you want...brush on meat, toss with pasta, eat with breakfast cereal, etc...

Make all-cheese crisps with lots of sage...

Does anyone know if sage does well in pots on a windowsill?

Tuscan herb salt from A New Way to Cook, Sally Schneider.

Sage leaves

Rosemary springs

Garlic

Kosher Salt

I whir it all together with my immersion blender/chopper. Keeps forever. Great stuffed into slivered pork loin.

Good idea, Soba! We have enjoyed a sort of Tuscan sage tempura as a simple antipasto along with fettunta and crostini. The chef at the Villa Villoresi outside of Florence showed us how to make it:

Take tender fresh sage leaves. Spread half the leaves with anchovy paste. Sandwich together with remaining sage leaves. Make a light batter from flour and water and dip the sage 'sandwiches' in the batter, then fry in hot olive oil. Drain on paper towel, and serve immediately with a glass or two of Vernaccia di S. Gimignano or a simple Chianti.

MP

Stolen from Mario (recipe is on food network, but I'm too lazy to look up)

Chicken saltimbocca.

Briefly --

Flatten out chicken breast (paillard). Place slice(s) of prosciutto on and sage leaf(ves). Fold over and secure with toothpick. Dust with flour. Pan Fry. remove. Make red wine reduction sauce with oyster mushrooms. Return chix to pan to cook through.

Yum.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

You can also butterfly a beef or pork tenderloin, and spread brown mustard and fresh sage leaves over the center, tie it up, and roast it.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Thank you for such great ideas. I never would have thought to fry them, but that sounds marvelous.

Thanks too Tolliver for referring me to that thread... I must have missed it.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad