• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Essential oils

Lesley C

I doubt it. I would imagine there are different laws surrounding the manufacture of edible oils vs. bath oils. It could very well be that some are edible but I'll bet no vendor of bath supplies would want to risk being sued because a patron decided to cook with the stuff instead of bathing in it. :wink:

...Unless of course you've got some friends you want to get rid of in a way that would be really hard to pin you with... :wink:

Edited by jersey13 (log)

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if those essential oils you can purchase in bed and bath stores (like Aveda) can be used in baking, such as ganaches, macarons, caramels, or mixes like semifreddos?

Absolutely not. They are not food-grade quality and are often produced with techniques AND additional chemicals that enhance the AROMA which could make you ill.

I know -- I tried once with an essential Cinnamon oil and was sick for days...

Well Aveda goes around saying their stuff is all-natural. I'm experimenting with caramels and I started thinking this might be an option for an intense hit of flavour. You see orange oil in plenty of cocktails.

Spencer, when you suggested "maybe read a book," was that as in "maybe you read the idea in a book? or "maybe you should read a book or two."

Well Aveda goes around saying their stuff is all-natural. I'm experimenting with caramels and I started thinking this might be an option for an intense hit of flavour. You see orange oil in plenty of cocktails.

Spencer, when you suggested "maybe read a book," was that as in "maybe you read the idea in a book? or "maybe you should read a book or two."

Lesley,

I can see how you would wonder about this.

ICC makes an orange oil that I've used on plates for some of my desserts. Maybe try this?

Are you experimenting with hard caramels, ala Balaguer and Adria? Or soft, for candy or bon bons?

And Spencer, were you wising off to LC?

It seemed kind of rude.

2317/5000

Actually, if you want flavoured oils for baking, etc, try Accessoires Rose Blanche in Lachine.  They have quite a stock.

Do they carry natural edible flavors other than oils? (Such as for flavoring ganache) Do they have a website?

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

Some essential oils are edible. I would not buy them at a bath shop though. Go to a health food store or an aromatherapy shop. They should know about this and they should also have books on the effects of all oils.

Actually Mr. chef/writer Spencer, I was also asking that question on behalf of a terrific pastry chef I know who only speaks French.

He has read plenty of books, in several languages, and is very, very polite.

Can't say that about everyone in this profession. :hmmm:

Totally deserved Lesley. You know some times when you spit nails innocents get caught in the crossfire. If Elyse is giving me shit eyes I know I've "gone there." So like a man, I'll apologize for sending a spike your way. I'm not much mature than that post but I will retract its tone, admit it was slightly self absorbed and try to get my point across using my corporate phone call voice...

While the inquiry was well-intentioned, some less than austere food service professionals (like myself) may find humor in the notion that you can use a bottle of Aveda product to satisfy a palate. But this is only the opinion of one loose cannon, and is not indicative of the majority views of eGulleteers, obviously.

Best Regards,

Spencer McMillin Executive Chef of America

Edited by Chef/Writer Spencer (log)