• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Certified Neapolitan Pizza

Holly Moore

VPN America doesn't hold its pizzerias to the same level as VPN in Italy. If you look at the VPN America website and look at the different pizzerias, there are some that are worthy of a title (A Mano, Settebello, Il Pizzaiolo, Spacca Napoli) and some that aren't (Flatbread, La Perla, Fritti, Luciano) I think the only real requirement nowadays is that you pay your yearly dues.

• 1 month later...
VPN America doesn't hold its pizzerias to the same level as VPN in Italy.  If you look at the VPN America website and look at the different pizzerias, there are some that are worthy of a title (A Mano, Settebello, Il Pizzaiolo, Spacca Napoli) and some that aren't (Flatbread, La Perla, Fritti, Luciano)  I think the only real requirement nowadays is that you pay your yearly dues.

I'm lucky enough to live near a Settebello -- I have half a mind to quit my job and beg them for a job just to learn the technique.

But as good as they are, they're not as good as Italy. I think the main problem is that their pizza oven isn't 100 years old. (The char on the bottom of their crust doesn't taste the same as the char on the bottom of the crusts in Naples.)

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe