• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Combinations

dave88

booze is running around my brain!

strawberries and champagne

strawberries and a fine balsamic

melon and port (!!!!!!)

dark chocolate and a fine whisky

shot of Bushmill's with a Guinness chaser?

*sublime*

Oh, mise en place, I've prepped a lobster with vanilla mayonnaise (I made from scratch). It was great! :wub:

beans on beans? hmmmm. awbrig, sorry I don't eat many other than an occasional bowl of chili or riboletta; or when somewhere Cuban themed cuisine and I have black beans and rice (or red). :biggrin:

How about Stoli Vanil (beans) and diet, tall? :raz:

mushrooms and rice

pork and rice

chicken and rice

eggs and rice

beef and rice

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Egg drop and broth

Basil and oregano

The above with tomatoes

Tomatoes and red wine

Salt and pepper

Onions and garlic

Ginger and garlic

Ginger, garlic, and turmeric with or without belacan

Corn and beans

Chicken and white wine

Beef and red wine

Stew and ginger

Meat and star anise

Eggplant, garlic, and hot pepper

Broiled fish or seafood (squid, octopus, shrimps) and lime or lemon

Lamb and rosemary

Meat and potatoes

Apple pie and vanilla ice cream

Salad and olive oil + lemon juice or vinegar

Liver and onions

Bread and cheese

Duck and orange

Magret and cherries

Michael aka "Pan"

• 3 months later...

Okay, this isn't combining food per se, but sort of.

I used to breakfast at the office on lemon yogurt and Slim Jims. And it had to be Berkeley Farms lemon yogurt which is fairly sweet. And it had to be the Tabasco Slim Jims.

Very hot and salty french fries dipped in very cold and sweet chocolate milkshakes make Sam go "ew," but I love them. Then again, twinkies make Sam go "ew," too, so what does he know?

oh and boloney sandwiches on wonder bread with um...fritos...on the sandwich.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Very hot and salty french fries dipped in very cold and sweet chocolate milkshakes make Sam go "ew," but I love them.

Uh-huh. That's got it all goin' on...sweet, salty, hot, cold. One of the only reasons left to go to McDonald's.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I still make this childhood concoction every now and again:  a bunch of Ruffles chips between 2 slices of VERY soft wonder bread.

With mayo??

When I was a kid I put salt on Wonder bread and ate it. But only if no one was looking.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Bananas dipped in barbecue sauce-sounds yucky, but surprisingly good.

Also, my Mom used to make the family "hawaiian sandwiches"-toast spread with peanut butter, a pinapple ring and cheddar cheese, then popped in the toaster to melt the cheese. We all loved 'em!

Popcorn with brewer's yeast on top is another favorite.

Both peanut butter and jelly and peanut butter and banana sandwiches sound utterly bizarre to me (although to be fair, I've never tried either, but the just sound so unappetizing!).

As a child, I used to dip my peanut butter sandwiches in my Lipton's instant chicken noodle soup and have fond memories of the combination, although not fond enough to attempt to recreate...

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Grew up on peanut butter and mayo (Hellmann's only!). :biggrin: Yums! Then got lost in a canyon in Wyoming, popped out on the opposite side of our camp, and trudged for miles around the rim, until we hit a ranch. The lady of the land's standard fare for lost and found Girl Scouts was the sourest lemonade on God's green earth, and...peanut butter, mayo and DILL PICKLE sandwiches! My poor companion in adversity turned greener than when we drank out of the horse trough at the thought. All I could do was say 'thank you, Lord!' :biggrin: