• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Combinations

dave88

Both peanut butter and jelly and peanut butter and banana sandwiches sound utterly bizarre to me (although to be fair, I've never tried either, but the just sound so unappetizing!).

As a child, I used to dip my peanut butter sandwiches in my Lipton's instant chicken noodle soup and have fond memories of the combination, although not fond enough to attempt to recreate...

Peanut butter, banana, mayo....... and the secret ingredient:

BACON!!

Mark

Peanut butter and crispy bacon. I love it. My kids gag. Of course I gagged when my grandfather ate peanut butter and sardine sandwiches :shock:.

My kids also think that bananas and mayo are nasty, but it was a childhood favorite that I still indulge in every once in a while.

Nastiest food combination I can think of (and would never eat)? Celery with peanut butter and raisins. What twisted mind created this abomination? Ew.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

• 2 years later...

Hello all you food loving people out there, and greetings from England!

I'm new to this site and I've thought of a question I'd like to ask all of you. I love to eat and I love to cook and don't often replicate the same dish, as I love to experiment with recipes.

However......

I also have this shameful little secret that I am prepared to share with you providing you all share your own...........

What junk do you fix just for yourselves when no one else is around?

OK here are mine.

Just occasionally, the only thing that will satisfy my appetite is Dairylea (a white processed cheese - a bit like Velveeta) spread on white toast and then put under a grill until the top starts to blacken and the cheese underneath is melting- hot enough to burn your mouth.

Another time I may cook Rigatoni and then coat it with butter before placing in a heatproof bowl and topping with shop bought breadcrumbs. Under the grill again until the top is toasty and crunchy THEN cover with instant gravy made up really thick.

Please tell me that I'm not the only who enjoys eating utter rubbish like this just occasionally?

I look forward to reading your replies - if you dare!

jodda.x

PS, Just in case anyone was wondering, although female, I am not pregnant- I used to drink homemade french dressing then!!!!

Eating something well conceived and well made is one of life's very great pleasures.

although I haven't had one in years--fried baloney sandwiches--my mom made this--on white bread with yellow mustard and pickles.

also--and I guess this isn't too weird--Ants on a Log--celery stuffed with peanut butter with raisins on top=--combines crunch, salty unctuousness and sweet bitiness.

A lot of mine seem to involve peanut butter...

A saltine smeared with peanut butter and topped with a slice of ripe garden tomato.

A wedge of cold apple smeared with peanut butter.

A sandwich with mayo, banana slices and peanut butter.

And for some reason, I can't eat a PB&J without a couple of spears of cool, crisp dill pickle alongside.

I also like cottage cheese with a little of that icky, bottled "French" (what an insult to the French) dressing drizzled over, although I can't stand the stuff on regular salads.

Sadly, it seems that I've passed my fondness for all these treats on to my children.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Cold meatloaf sandwich. More than once, I have made an entire meatloaf just so I could have leftover sandwiches later.

Grilled cheese. Must be Kraft American singles, must contain caramelized onions.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

buttered toast with peanut butter melted on it dipped in a glass of Nestle's Quik chocolate milk!!

Chili sauce made with Mrs. Wage's Chili Sauce mix which we can, and then I open the jar and drink it down like V-8.

A certain brand of imported Italian pizza sauce which I eat out of the can with a fork!

A plateful of Sourdough bread cubes (crust removed) smoothered in homemade mastriciano sauce (unheated).

3 bottles of Simi Cabernet Savaugnon instead of dinner~ :)

doc

"3 bottles of Simi Cabernet Savaugnon instead of dinner~  :)"

Well Doc,

I'm with you in that your choices sound suitably weird, although some of the gear you eat is unknown to a humble Englishwoman like me.

However, nothing wrong with 3 bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon instead of dinner - where's the 'odd' in that?

Keep 'em coming - I'm loving reading these!

jodda.x

Edited by Joy Fellows (log)

Eating something well conceived and well made is one of life's very great pleasures.

One of my weird food combos is McDonalds french fries dipped in their soft serve cone

One thing that a friend of mine loves doing is eating a banana with a Kraft singles... I don't get it at all..

Take 2 pieces of toast (preferably an eggy bread like Portuguese/Hawaiian sweet bread or challah). While they're hot, carefully arrange chocolate chips on one piece of toast, spacing them about 1/2" apart. Top with the other piece of toast and smoosh together. (Mock pan au chocolat.)

And one I hardly ever have any more. Take a bowl of sour cream (straight from the fridge). Top with cubes of 1 hot, peeled potato. Eat. (I must've been a Russian peasant in a previous life.)

[Edited for spelling.]

Edited by SuzySushi (log)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

These are throwbacks from my childhood and teenage years. Grew up poor (still am pretty poor, though not as bad as back then), so ate many things that would probably horrify people around here. Heck, as little as 2 years ago these were still staples... And to think, at work I was cooking with foie gras, caviar, truffles, then after work would go home and eat this stuff....

- Cheddar cheese (the cheap yellow kind) melted on top of soda crackers, then covered in hot sauce

- Grilled cheese sandwich, dipped into canned tomato soup

- Boiled spaghetti, hot sauce and parmesan 'seasoning' - maybe some cut up hot dogs thrown in if we could afford it

- Ground beef, cream of mushroom soup (in a can of course), mixed together and eaten on top of toast

- Plain white rice with a can of broth poured over top (to make a soup-kind of dish), plenty of hot sauce added

Occasionally I still eat these things just as a reminder of the good 'ol days...

Edited by Mikeb19 (log)

White bread, mayo and potato chip sandwich. I grew up eating these... and every once in a while I indulge.

Strawberry jello and cool whip then homemade blue cheese dressings on top.

"A few days ago, I heard a doctor talking on television about the dangers of stress. It can kill you. It can cause a heart attack or stroke. The doctor listed many ways of coping with stress. Exercise. Diet Yoga. Talk a walk. I yelled, "Bake cookies." I often talk to the television. I yelled it again and again. The doctor went on with his list of 12 ways to reduce stress and he never once mentioned my sure-fire treatment......"

Maida Heatter

:blink: This is a combo of the How you Eat your Oatmeal thread and this one: after preparing my oatmeal with raisins, brown sugar and half/half, I top it with chunks of heavily-buttered, very crispy white toast. I try to incorporate a piece of toast in every bite of oatmeal! :raz:

Cheers,

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

Two come to mind. Torn pieces of white bread dipped (soaked) in Lea and Perrins Worchestershire sauce. Hot, pickled yellow peppers soaked in soy sauce with chunks of leftover steak and extra sharp cheddar, eaten until tears run down my cheeks. :raz:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Large curd cottage cheese (has to be the large curd because it is less salty), possibly "thinned" with just a tiny bit of extra-heavy cream, so that barbecue potato chips, either Wavy Lays or Ruffles ( unless I can find the Michael Seasons Thick and Crunchy Mesquite barbecue chips) can be dipped into the cc so one gets a bite of cottage cheese with a bite of barbecue potato chip.

Sourdough bread, sliced thin, spread with sour cream and layered with sweet onion slices sometimes topped with crumbled bacon, possibly with very ripe tomato slices but the tomatoes have to be full-flavored.

Alternately, topped with my homemade bread and butter pickles.

Sliced strawberries tossed with salt-glazed and roasted pecans.

Crepes spread lightly with orange marmalade and sour cream, rolled into cylinders and dipped into ginger syrup. (must be very sparing with these because I am a diabetnik)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett