• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Surf and Turf Philly Style

Holly Moore

Funny, I've been saying "sammies" since high school, I think it's a Scranton thing; everybody says "sammiches" up there. And who is this Rachel Raygun of whom you speak?

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

That's about right.  With the fishcake sandwich, you pretty much have to be in the mood for some hot starch-on-starch action. 

Anyway, this thread + a day off = a trip to Johnny's for me today.  While I was there, I noticed a sign saying that they had won a Best Of prize from Philadelphia magazine for their cheesesteak.  Anybody tried it?

The cheesesteak, roast beef and roast pork sammies are all first class, easily some of the best in the city. The cheesesteak earned the BOP. It's that good.

i had one last summer and was unimpressed. it was dry and chewy and generally not so good.

which caught me off guard because everything else i've had there has rocked the house. because of that, i'm assuming i caught them at a rare off moment.

• 2 months later...

i had a roast pork at johnnie's hots last week. ok this is a weird complaint, but it was too herby.

i'm sticking with the dogs and sausages and fish cakes there from now on. other things are good enough, but i don't agree with you that they're the best in town, rich. i mean, obviously the folks at johnnie's hots care about what they do -- it's a great place and i go there often enough. but sometimes i don't like the end result as much as i do at other places. and it's not even that they do it badly for the most part; it's just that i'd do it differently.

I realkly dont think that they serve the best in town, but some of the best grub in town. I prefer their beef sammie to their pork myself, and still love the hot dog-fish cake combo. And the pepper hash!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

all right, next time i'm down there i'll check out the roast beef, if i can stay away from the combo.

and yeah, the pepper hash is good stuff. the weird thing about pepper hash is that i always think it's going to be spicy and it never is. and i know it's not -- i know how to make it and recipes for pepper hash don't call for hot peppers, but green or red bell peppers. and yet every time i'm like, pepper hash.. mmmm hot.

• 8 months later...

Ha! The next time somebody tries to tell you that fatty, salty, nitrite-laden foods are bad for your health, show them this article. Sausage saves lives, people!

My only complaint is that they didn't say where they were going to eat. Somewhere in Port Richmond, so maybe they were looking for kielbasa?

i just had a hot dog/fishcake combo AGAIN yesterday. that's some good stuff there.

a couple weeks we went down and i got a roast pork. it was very enjoyable, although really not quite in the league of dinic's or john's....