• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Diner in DC?

vengroff

Another one to add to the list.

On the suggestion of my better half, we did Sunday morning at the Woodside Diner. Georgia Ave, just south of the beltway (pretty much across the street from Snider's). A real hole in the wall (and I mean that in the best way possible). The perfect diner waitresses who called everyone male or female from 2 to 92 "Hon". Good french toast, decent sausage, and passable grits (truly high praise from the southern-bred Mrs. JPW). Total check for 2 - $13.60.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I think of Woodside as more deli than diner, but in the grand scheme of things, who cares? You can get anything a diner has at most delis, plus a whole lot of delicious jewish treats. a.k.a. matzoh ball soup, reuben sandwiches, latkes, whitefish salad, fried matzoh/matzoh brie, gefilte fish, chopped liver, salami and eggs, bagels 'n lox, blintzes, knishes, ooy don't get me started. Therefore, seeing as how we've incorporated delis into the diner deal, I'd like to add a couple personal favorites, Krupin's on Wisconsin Ave in CC, and Celebrity in Potomac, MD. Long live the deli!

Poste

I think of Woodside as more deli than diner, but in the grand scheme of things, who cares?

Since we are dealing DC, I don't think it really matters. Now if we were in NY or Florida, that would be another story.....

I am a big fan of Krupin's too, but the service can be a nightmare.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

• 4 months later...
The Diner, on 18th in Adams Morgan. It is not that fancy but they have a menu that should please everyone. I haven't been there since I moved from DC to Chicago. But, I loved that place. Go early.

The pancakes at this place are particularly good.

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.