• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Table Dancing: The Great Emancipator

Fat Guy

The first in an occasional series by Timothy C. Davis.

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Wow. My new signature (at least at the time of writing this--I changed approximately a half hour before this article popped up) is coincidentally somewhat related to Mr. Davis' theme. Although it may be taking a different position on this important issue (I'm not really sure), its still a freaking huge coincidence.

Just in case I change my sig, here's a somewhat stupid cartoon about drugs and food, although I guess its maybe more about drugs and cooking, and the point not all that clear no matter what.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Pot makes me a better cook. I'm not afraid to say it right here, in front of the culinary dea/christian cook movement that a couple tokes before a grueling service makes the service a lot more enjoyable. And, I get ALOT more ideas while puffing tuff.

Disclaimer...I don't smoke at work, but on the way.

Edited by Chef/Writer Spencer (log)

eGullet thankfully is too cosmo for Memphians...I think they've got better things to do than bust me for smoking weed...Hell, everytime you step out your door there's some crackhead gunning for your wallet with a baseball bat. The Memphis cops don't give a shit about pot, unless you're selling.

Pot makes me a better cook.  I'm not afraid to say it right here, in front of the culinary dea/christian cook movement that a couple tokes before a grueling service makes the service a lot more enjoyable.  And, I get ALOT more ideas while puffing tuff. 

Spencer, this explains a lot about the content of your posts! :laugh:

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Pot makes me a better cook.  I'm not afraid to say it right here, in front of the culinary dea/christian cook movement that a couple tokes before a grueling service makes the service a lot more enjoyable.  And, I get ALOT more ideas while puffing tuff. 

Spencer, this explains a lot about the content of your posts! :laugh:

Pot makes me a better writer than Proust too. :smile:

My cooking doesn't suck as bad as my writing...

It's a completely sensory experience, eating food while high. It's the same the whole world is vibrating at the exact same frequency sort of effect that makes Linda Ronstadt sound like the greatest goddamn thing you could ever want to hear.

Were you at that concert, too? I was loaded as well. :cool:

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

From what I know from people who hung around that whole Ronstadt/California scene in the 70s, THEY were all loaded while making the music. I'd like to think one can pick up on that sort of thing. Good drug music seems to attract drug users....just look at Phish!

Timothy C. Davis

Charlotte, NC

timothycdavis@earthlink.net

www.themoodyfoodie.com

www.cln.com

www.southernfoodways.com

From what I know from people who hung around that whole Ronstadt/California scene in the 70s, THEY were all loaded while making the music. I'd like to think one can pick up on that sort of thing. Good drug music seems to attract drug users....just look at Phish!

The tipoff on Ronstadt was that she would do this giggly between song patter.

Pot makes me a better cook.

I realize that you were speaking only of hypothetical pot smoking and hypothetical cooking, but do you think that it's possible that the food just tastes better to you because you're high, but that people who aren't high won't think it's better? I'd be willing to try the same meal two nights in a row, once prepared by high CWS and once prepared by non-high CWS.

I will say this for pot--it made meals of brown rice and unseasoned vegetable stir fries almost palatable. It also helped that we were young and hungry.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

The piece was fun, but I found the statement that drugs "show us things as they really are" as ludicrous and irresponsible as the once-popular notion that mental illness is the gateway to the authentic self.

You (or your avatar) look like Joe Strummer (R.I.P.).

I think that would actually have to be four meals.  You sober, chef high.  Both sober.  Both high. You high, chef sober.

Yes and you would also need two controls: an always-high taster and an always-sober taster.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

any volunteers?

it is an interesting debate, I think. If nothing else, I believe it may provide the artistic/creative person (i consider a good chef or cook artistic, or at least alchemistic) with another angle, if you will, another way into what's already in their own head. Not to be NORML or anything, but you'd have a hard time finding any of the great musicians or writers of this century who hadn't dabbled with something or another.

Try to rely on it for inspiration *completely*, however, and you'll probably soon be serving sizzleplatters at the Sizzlin'. Moderation, like everything else.

Timothy C. Davis

Charlotte, NC

timothycdavis@earthlink.net

www.themoodyfoodie.com

www.cln.com

www.southernfoodways.com

Just in case I change my sig, here's a somewhat stupid cartoon about drugs and food, although I guess its maybe more about drugs and cooking, and the point not all that clear no matter what.

that was funny...eating on acid definitely an experience if you can remember how to swallow this was a long time ago ...college...the 80's a tab and a half and an encounter at some point late in the evening with a popsicle, jar of peanut butter & a spoon it wasn't pretty and when I finally rejoined the world there was a lot of peanut butter in it ( and also several raw pieces of ziti in the peanut butter jar)

wasn't there a thread a bit ago on drunk eating? how different is drunk eating from eating when high?

I know that when drunk I am much more satiable just want to eat something greasy if really drunk but am capable of sitting in a restaurant have a nice meal if tipsy to mildy soused

..but while high ummm I actually was never really happy going out to eat back in the day when I not only smoked alot of pot but went to restaurants other than my own There was more active "sensory experience" to eating that I preferred to engage in while high but if couldn't get that going eating would work.

however when at home it was all about texture ...crunchy & creamy then savory then sweet then back to crunchy/creamy melted cheesey I could eat for hours back & forth like that.

needless to say weigh alot less now that no longer spend evenings smoking pot & eating.

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

The second hardest I ever laughed in my life was while watching one of my friends eat a slice of plain white Wonderbread right from the bag. I don't know why this seemed so funny, although pot did have the ability to warp not only your sense of taste, but also your sense of humor.

The hardest I ever laughed in my life was also drug and food related. Although pschedelic drugs were not generally appetite enhancing like pot smoking, they had an even more dramatic effect on your funny bone.

While under the influence of psilocybin mushrooms, two friends and I visited an all-night supermarket in the wee hours. The place was almost deserted, and we would joke and laugh uproariously as we walked down the seemingly endless corridors of the brightly packaged bounty of America's farms and factories while trying to impersonate serious shoppers as we rounded the corners at the aisle ends where the employees could see us.

Luckily, a girl we knew was working the check-out or I don't think we would have been able to escape from the store with our purchase of two packs of cigarettes and two pound ingot of Velveeta!

While under the influence of psilocybin mushrooms, two friends and I visited an all-night  supermarket in the wee hours.  The place was almost deserted, and we would joke and laugh uproariously as we walked down the seemingly endless corridors of the brightly packaged bounty of America's farms and factories while trying to impersonate serious shoppers as we rounded the corners at the aisle ends where the employees could see us.

Much more sensible than doing it at about 4 in the afternoon. Two of my friends busted up over the crates of 'pompelmousse' and I was accused of being a total killjoy for explaining it was just a translation of grapefruit, not some very exotic new item.

This particular chain has a bear for a mascot and it was a grand opening so there happened to be one in costume wandering about. You can imagine.