• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread on the Grill

guajolote

I'm going to bake some bread on my grill tonight. A friend made this at a cook-out-in (this is when a cook-out is planned but moved inside because of our rotten weather this spring) and it was very good. Much better than the overcooked beer can chicken. Why don't people use meat thermometers?

I made some dough this morning with lots of olive oil and garlic, rosemary, and chives in the dough. It is proofing in the fridge right now.

Has anyone ever baked bread on the grill? Any advice? I was going to build a very hot fire and bake the dough over indirect heat.

I'm going to try bread on the grill for the first time tomorrow night.

I'm going to work from the section in Let the Flames Begin.

Shall I go take a look at it & let you know if there are any (apparently) useful tips?

I made some dough this morning with lots of olive oil and garlic, rosemary, and chives in the dough. It is proofing in the fridge right now.

You can do it a couple of ways. Use a Dutch oven down in the coals after the main cooking is done. If you have some type of plate or griddle you could do small rolls or loafs sort of like how English muffins are cooked. If the dough is firm enough you could try to cook it right on the grill as a flat loaf.

Living hard will take its toll...

Shall I go take a look at it & let you know if there are any (apparently) useful tips?

Yes, please. I'll try to post about this experience before you try.

We have way too much in common, it's scaring me :huh:

If the dough is firm enough you could try to cook it right on the grill as a flat loaf.

This is what I'm going to try, and is how my friend did it. The bread had a nice smoky taste to it.

Thanks

Ok, here's what I gleaned from Let the Flames Begin.

Schesinger & Willoughby offer many variations but here's the essentials . . .

This would be a grilled flatbread.

Multi-level (banked) fire in the grill. Ready to go when highest spot of coals are medium (about 4 to 5 count w/ hand 5 inches above grate).

Stretch dough into rough circle or rectangle about 1/8 inch thick & 10 inches across.

Grill about 4 minutes & then flip for 3 to 4 minutes more.

They note that the 1/8 inch thickness is crucial as more than that would probably result in burned crust but uncooked middle. Any thinner & you'll have a droopy mess.

Doing it properly, you will have some charred spots on the crust, etc.

They also have some interesting "flavored olive oils" for dipping.

Edited by MatthewB (log)

Dean:

We've done pizza and foccacia and suchlike on the grill. Works perfectly, tastes wonderful, and, in some miracle of nature, never sticks!

Report back, of course.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I've done loaves of bread on the grill and find it works OK. I use a Weber gas, with the two outside burners on, and the center burner off. Oven temp should be 425.

Standard recipe, let the second rise occur on a bread peel. Oil the center grids where you'll put the bread.

Let bread slide gently onto the oiled grids, this should set the bottom crust. Redce heat to 400

Check on the bread after 25 minutes, then every few minutes afterward, it's done when the internal temperature is 190 degrees

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I've grilled bread on the grill quite a number of times. I usually do it to make sandwhiches (Cosi style). I knead the dough out to about 3/8 to 1/4 inch. Then I just throw it on the grill and cook it for a few minutes on each side. I've done it on coals and gas and it works really well. It gets crisp and puffy. Sometimes I rub some oil on it, some times I coat it with herbs.

good luck.

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

The bread turned out pretty good. I'll definately try it again. My only complaint was the crust wasn't very crunchy, probably because of the amount of oil I added to the dough. I didn't roll out to 1/8 inch, that's really thin and too much work for a lazy baker like me. My "loaves " were about 1/2 inch thick and I let them them rise 20 minutes.

My hint to Matthew is make the loaves small so you can turn them easily with a spatula. My first loaf was too big and turned into a tangled mess.

Here's picture of the bread:

fbeeaf69.jpg

And the wine we had with dinner, please notice the name :shock:fbeeaf60.jpg

And my beautiful irises:

fbeeaf64.jpg

My hint to Matthew is make the loaves small so you can turn them easily with a spatula. My first loaf was too big and turned into a tangled mess.

Thanks for the feedback.

We're going to try this tonight.

And, great (no pun intended) pictures! :smile:

The bread turned out pretty good. I'll definately try it again. My only complaint was the crust wasn't very crunchy, probably because of the amount of oil I added to the dough. I didn't roll out to 1/8 inch, that's really thin and too much work for a lazy baker like me. My "loaves " were about 1/2 inch thick and I let them them rise 20 minutes.

I agree make small loaved. Also try using a higher temp. Last time I grilled bread I did it over very hot coals and cooked it on each side for only 3 or so minutes. It came out very nicely browned and crisp.

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

I took Dean's advice & did smaller breads--ovals about 4" by 8".

Worked well except that I didn't pay close enough attention & burned the first side. I ate it as is & the SO cut off the burned side. Either way we both enjoyed it. I'll blame the margaritas for my mistake. :raz:

In any event, I'm going to keep doing this. A minor obsession w/ grilled flatbreads is upon me!

(Make an olive oil dipping sauce w/ cracked toasted coriander & cumin seeds plus orange zest and salt & pepper. Good stuff, IMHO.)

I might post some pictures on Monday. (I carefully "hid" the burned sides. :biggrin: )

• 2 weeks later...