• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weight Watchers (Part 1)

Marlene

on core the list for dairy includes all fat free things. my question is why not low fat versions? i have looked for fat free and sometimes can't find. i guess if i substitute say a piece of low fat for fat free cheese i will just have to watch the scale. there is really very little difference in the fat grams, 3 grams for low fat vs 0 for fat free. that's not a whole heck of a lot, but i guess in the long run it might add up.

Because no one in their right minds would overeat fat-free cheese? :wacko: Sorry, I just couldn't resist; I think the stuff is vile. Whereas I've actually found low-fat cheese that could be pretty dangerous...

Because no one in their right minds would overeat fat-free cheese?  :wacko:  Sorry, I just couldn't resist; I think the stuff is vile.  Whereas I've actually found low-fat cheese that could be pretty dangerous...

I'm sure that is it.

I think Abra posted about liking some fat-free chese-- Lifetime brand?-- as an ingredient. I also find fat-free feta serviceable as an addition to some recipes. I'll squeeze some lemon over some and add it to mixed vegetables or incorporate it into a topping for burgers.

One reason I'm not doing Core is that I would probably be very busy finding ways to outsmart the program. Even on Flex, I often catch myself doing things to get the most mileage out of my points, like eating a lot of foods whose calorie content is relatively high in relation to the points count. But even if you're doing this, it is still hard to eat an outrageous number of calories as long as you are at least counting points.

I was perusing the pages of the Toronto Star and came across an article on gamja-tang, pork bone soup. I think it could be points-friendly (depending on how many points the fermented bean paste contains) and it sounds sooooo good. I've got some pork neck bones in my freezer as we speak so I think I'll give this dish a whirl...

Well, the "gamja-tang" was a huge success. I put that in quotes because I ended up making ramen...

I kept looking at the photo in the Toronto Star and I'd get a hankering for miso ramen from Ezogiku, a Japanese noodle house (six locations worldwide...3 in Japan, 1 in Hawaii, and 2 in Vancouver). So, I looked into descriptions of their style of ramen (Hokkaido-style) and saw that it was made with a pork bone broth and miso. And what is miso if not fermented bean paste?

Okay, I'm a little slow sometimes but, apparently, my stomach isn't. As near as I can reckon, gamja-tang is a Korean version of Hokkaido-style ramen and, since I felt like noodles instead of rice, I decided to make ramen!

I made the broth by just simmering the neck bones with a red chile. I resisted the urge to salt it. It was strained and then miso paste (1/4 cup?) was added. Then I salted it and left it alone while I made the rest of the dish.

Into each bowl, I put blanched bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, a handful of green onions, and some steamed bok choy. I boiled the ramen noodles separately, then drained them, and plopped them on top of the vegetables. Piping hot broth was poured over top.

It was too good to wait so no picture. I ate mine with some kimchee and, for 10 points total, I am pleasantly full.

<JAMES BROWN> I feel good!</JAMES BROWN>

I have been cooking from the Turnaround program cookbook this past week. The recipes are the best I have found in any WW book yet. They are tasty(first and most important) and easy to prepare.

So far I have tried the veal paprikash, the bolognese sauce, the broccolini, orange and arugula salad, the fennel salad with mint, olives and turkey, (yum) , the grilled thai beef salad and the greek chicken soup.

Does anyone have any suggestions to try next?

[Moderator note: This topic continues here, Weight Watchers (Part 2)]

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!