• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weight Watchers (Part 1)

Marlene

Sandra - I did see on the Lifetimers board (where I don't deserve to be but often go to look for accurate info) that on maintenance you are supposed to add 28 points to the 35 allotted otherwise. Sounds a bit generic to me, but that's what I saw.

I'm still journaling this week, just for my own information, but I'm trying not to even mentally count up the points until the end of the day, so I can see what I do when eating Core foods but not restricting anything. I'm saving my extra points for a lunch with heyjude on Thursday, at a place I've never been so I don't know how core-friendly it'll be.

I'm actually trying a ricecooker congee at the moment, a la Laksa's blog, but using brown basmati and wild rice, and smoked tofu instead of pork. It'll be cooking for at least another hour and a half, but I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I'm actually trying a ricecooker congee at the moment, a la Laksa's blog, but using brown basmati and wild rice, and smoked tofu instead of pork. It'll be cooking for at least another hour and a half, but I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I'm making some as well, using basmati rice and low-Na/low-fat chicken broth. I'm looking forward to comparing the Flex Point congee with the Core Plan congee...

:laugh:

The Flex Point congee...

congee.jpg

One rice-cup of basmati rice ultimately made 9 ladles-full of congee. So, I reckon that it is 1 point per ladleful. This bowl was two ladles; after I took the picture, I added some "krab" for a grand total of 3 points.

Not bad. I'm looking forward to eating some for breakfast tomorrow morning.

Too funny, Jen. I just posted the details of my congee in Laksa's blog, and the last thing I said was that I'm looking forward to eating it for breakfast. Here's mine

i11624.jpg

It's brown rice, wild rice, tofu, and seasonings -100% core foods, except for 2 tsp of sesame oil. But that'll go into my oil allowance for the day, and it was spread out among three bowls like the one above, so I won't count it. This bowlful is 9.5 points, and was pretty yummy.

For dinner I made a 100% core lentil soup

i11690.jpg

For dessert I had some plain yogurt with Fiber 1 stirred in - not bad at all. So I ended the day having eaten 32.5 points, all core foods, but with one extra teaspoon of oil, so 1 flex point used up. That's often what I eat in a higher-end day, but I really feel full from dinner. It definitely feels like I ate a lot today, more than usual, even though I'm normally a pretty whole foods person. This is interesting.

Hey, do you guys like seeing the food, or are the pictures just cluttering up your download?

Hey, do you guys like seeing the food, or are the pictures just cluttering up your download?

I'm loving the pictures! (I know, I know ... half of them are mine. :laugh: )

For dinner, we had pork tenderloin skewers (6 points), Caesar salad (1 point), and corn on the cob (with butter, 2 points).

I also had about 11 points worth of alcohol...(several beers pre-dinner and then a glass of wine with dinner). I have three points left over. So, do I make myself a small dessert and deduct from the alcohol points (formerly known as Flex Points) or do I just drink some water, deduct at least one of the beers from my Flex Points, and suffer?

I like the pics too... I'll try to provide some of my meals as well. Congee sounds marvelous and the weather is starting to cool off here. Would be a good meal for a cool day.

The pork tenderloin skewers were great last night. Partly they were nice because they are so portion controlled. I made 1 ounce chunks of pork and put 3 pieces of meat on each skewer, Chris ate two skewers I only ate one. They were served over cous cous. (5 points for one skewer and one serving of cous cous) Also sauteed onions, garlic, chickpeas and spinach in red wine and evoo (2 points). AND for dessert, a little splurge, chocolate peanut butter cookie dough ice cream. Skinny cow brand. It was very rich and yummy - only 2 points.

Tonight and tomorrow Chris is out of town. I always find it much tougher to get motivated to cook when he is gone. Hopefully I'll get inspired.

Here's a question for you guys about the core program. If, for example, you went nuts and added a little butter and wine to your congee, would you need to count the whole dish out of your 35 weekly points or just the points for the butter and wine? Where do you draw the line and start counting a whole dish as not being core?

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

If, for example, you went nuts and added a little butter and wine to your congee, would you need to count the whole dish out of your 35 weekly points or just the points for the butter and wine? Where do you draw the line and start counting a whole dish as not being core?

I'd say never, that you'd just count the points for the butter and wine. And if they wine had cooked down such that the alcohol had essentially all boiled off then you wouldn't even count the wine (assuming that it was dry red wine to begin with, and maybe we should be using something other than congee as the base for this dish, because it's sort of giving me the willies to think about it).

Can you pee in the ocean?

Yum, red wine congee, now why didn't I think of that? Actually, red wine risotto is good, but congee sounds pretty icky, even to me. You only count the non-Core food items. WW is telling people that when eating out, if the food isn't obviously all core, to count the whole thing since you don't know what's in it, but I think those of us here are sharp enough to dissect a dish accurately.

I had that congee for breakfast today. I was planning blueberries and oatmeal, but it's raining and I didn't feel like going out to pick blueberries in the rain. It's perfect weather for roasting a chicken, though, so that's what I'm going to do.

I will be very interested to hear how everyone's weigh in goes after a week on Core. I want to switch but am scared I'll gain weight -- it has taken me 6 weeks just to lose 10 lbs. If I could stop counting points and stop being hungry -- that would be a good thing! Also, I find myself eating the same things over and over just because I know how many points they are so the Core program would definitely add some variety back. I just can't figure out why fruit flavored FF yogurt with isn't core when FF yogurt and fruit are both core foods.....

I decided not to switch to Core because for me Flex ain't broke yet. I know the point values of the things I regularly eat, and can figure out new things by looking at the label. Having to remember a list of Core and Non-Core foods is just too complex for my tired brain. I definitely like the emphasis on whole, unprocessed foods in the Core plan though - but since I eat that way most of the time anyway, it wouldn't really make that much of a difference. (I had tofu, broccoli and soba noodles in peanut sauce for lunch today - 10 points, which is more than I usually have for lunch, but since I got 6 APs this morning, I had room for it.)

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

I just did the Shrimp and Corn Pancakes on the web site. They were quite good.

One change I made, I folded in 2 whipped egg whites just before I cooked them so they would be light and fluffy. Also, I added some chopped green onion tops for flavor and color.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I was thinking dry white wine and butter, which I often stir into my risotto, for the congee example, not red. Just so you all don't think I'm some sort of weirdo. :raz: I also used to add lots of shredded gruyere cheese *sigh*. Back in the hedonistic days.

I've noticed that corn and shrimp pancake recipe too. Thanks for posting about those Joiei. I'll have to give them a try.

NulloModo, I agree they don't give much info in the free tour. I found two other BB sites that have some more at least semi-coherent information, though not much. Journal to Success and 3fatchicks. You have to sift through everything though, it's not a straightforward introduction.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

I'd like to pick your brains about points-friendly road food.

Early next month, I am heading out on a road trip with my racing buddy, Lynne. We're going to Oregon for the big national race meet and, because the host club is charging a fair whack of money for the meal package, we decided that we would cook our own food. (Most people take advantage of the meals provided on-site but $10 for a Subway sandwich lunch? Yikes!)

Friends from BC are getting in on the "home-cooking" too and, since I love to cook, I volunteered to take care of our dining for the four days we will be there. As far as I'm concerned, they will all be doing Weight Watchers with me for the four days. :laugh:

So far, I've got these meals planned:

* lamb kebobs with tzatziki and Greek salad (perhaps pita breads too)

* grilled salmon, baked potato, green salad

I've thought about doing a quick and easy Trader Joe's sauce with some chicken one night too.

So, any ideas for points-friendly meals that can be prepared and cooked in a motorhome? We will have a small gas barbecue to work with as well. Or prepared in advance, frozen, and then reheated? Or prepared the day before we leave and will keep in the motorhome fridge for a day or two? (I plan on marinating the lamb in advance and then vacuum sealing it for the trip up.)

Oh, and I *really* need lunch ideas. I did think about doing a ploughman's lunch one day but that's kind of heavy on the points (cheese, etc.,). Two of the three lunches cannot be "sit down" lunches as we'll be eating while the racing is going on.

Edited for dumb typo.

Edited by Jensen (log)

Chili, if you're willing to make a few sacrifices and alterations, is really points-friendly. It's also South Beach friendly.

Rather than using fatty cuts, try ground white chicken, veal, pork, turkey, sirloin, or any combination of them. Add bell peppers, extra onion, extra beans, top it with fresh tomato slices. Use a minimum of oil when you sweat the onions at the beginning. I make a big pot of chili once a week and divvy it up for lunches, for quick dinners, and for freezer fare. I freeze it in individual portion sizes in the inexpensive plastic containers for quick reheating.

It's not earth-shattering, but it's a staple in our house.

Have a great time traveling!

Diana

Wraps work well and come together quickly. Fajitas maybe? Shrimp or chicken and guacamole, salsa or pico de gallo, roasted onions and peppers. You could marinate the meat while you travel.

-Dad

The Washington Post Lean Plate Club column (by Sally Squires) had a good article on the Core plan today. The site needs registration, so posting a link won't help much, I don't think. Most interesting to me was the reason why things such as fruit yoghurt, bread etc are not core.

"Also eliminated were foods known for "abuse potential." These "comfort" or "trigger" foods include such favorites as chocolate, potato chips and cookies. Even some low-calorie foods such as meringues were slashed "because people usually eat too many of them," Miller-Kovach said."

"Among the foods that came off the list: nonfat, sugar-free yogurt -- a "light" food, but not calorie-free. "People were over-consuming it," Miller-Kovach said. "They would have an open container on their desk and just eat it all day long." Likewise, bread does not appear on the list of core foods, also because it's so easy to eat too much of it.

All but four whole grain cereals were cut, because too many people were snacking on many types of cereal throughout the day. Weight Watchers also added rules to reduce such mindless munching: Cereal can be eaten only with nonfat milk and no more than once a day.

Brakes were also added for such popular foods as ground meat (93 percent fat-free or leaner); potatoes; whole wheat pasta and brown rice: All are allowed just once per day and can be eaten until participants reach a "comfort zone" of fullness. Healthy oils, such as canola, olive and safflower oil, are okay, but no more than two teaspoons daily."

I'm going to stay with Flex, I like the choice it offers and the portion control it imposes. But core will be a good reference I think - if a food is not core I will be paying more attention to how much of it I consume.

Let me add my thanks to all those contributing here. It is great to have a support forum of people who eat real food!

Tracey

If that article says that fruit is not core, it's wrong. All fruit is core, including bananas. Plain nonfat yogurt is also core, so yogurt with fruit is a core food, just not sweetened. I think that all whole grain hot cereals are also core, but I'll check. There's an amazing amount of misinformation out there - I think WW did a crappy job of explaining the new program from the outset. However, I like the program itself a lot, so far. This is my third day.

The article talks about fruit yoghurt, not fruit. It's accurate, based on the material I got at my meeting. The only core yoghurt listed is fat-free plain. Adding your own fruit would of course then keep it core. So if online allows fat free fruit yoghurt, my book has led me astray! I agree the roll-out has been crappy, there is much confusion, especially about daily limits and requirements on oils and carbs/

The Lamb Souvlaki salad on the WW site turned out to be very delicious. The yougurt dressing is delicious. I just added some fire roasted papadums for crispy crackers. I roasted them over a low fire on the stove, it gave them a new flavor deminsion. I grilled the lamb on my stove top grill. I will serve this again for guests.

edit - I try the stuff on the web site if it sounds good, sometimes it just do not work out. The southwestern and the mediterrian seem to work better and taste better.

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

This is my third day on the core program. I think it's actually easier than flex. If you are used to eating fairly healthy already and do not rely on a lot of processed food it's just takes a little tweaking to follow. I find I'm not eating as much. When I count points, I make sure I get my whole serving for a point. With core, I just eat what I want-generally less than a serving size and I'm happy. I'm still seeing how many points I am eating just for curiousity. Yesterday I had a total of 18 points. That's with eating at a food court for lunch and salmon for supper.

I am making the lemon greek chicken thighs with potatoes tonight. I'll make a salad and roast some veggies and I am sure I will be satisfied. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Sandra

I just got back from my meeting introducing the Core plan. I'm going to have to stick with Flex since the whole reason that I am WW in the first place is portion control (or lack thereof). Left to my own devices, I would eat an entire tub of cottage cheese for breakfast! Maybe, down the road, when I am more on top of things I'll give Core a try.

Also, I hate to possibly be the bearer of bad news but.......I think a bottle of wine is 12 points not 10 (actually 12.5 if I'm being picky - but I've always counted it as 12). A four ounce glass of wine is 2 points and a 750 ml bottle equals 25.36 ounces. So the number of 4 ounce servings in a bottle (25.36 divided by 4) is 6.34. 6.34 servings at 2 points is 12.68 points. Have I calculated it wrong? I hope so........

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

If that article says that fruit is not core, it's wrong. All fruit is core, including bananas. Plain nonfat yogurt is also core, so yogurt with fruit is a core food, just not sweetened. I think that all whole grain hot cereals are also core, but I'll check. There's an amazing amount of misinformation out there - I think WW did a crappy job of explaining the new program from the outset. However, I like the program itself a lot, so far. This is my third day.

That fruit + yogurt is okay but commercially-prepared fruit-flavored yogurt isn't is not so much a question of nutritional differences, but just how accessible the item is. There's a difference between preparing your own dish of yogurt with fruit (get out both items, get a bowl, wash the fruit, peel the fruit if necessary, etc.) and just popping open a container is fairly significant in terms of effort and prep time, and will slow down all but the most determined of overeaters.

Hot cereals are available in unlimited quantities, whereas commercially-prepared breakfast cereals are limited, again because making hot cereal is a bit of a thrash.

Basically, you can pretty much assume that the less "convenient" a food is, the more likely it will be a core food. I think this is a great approach, and I think it accounts in large part for increased frequency of obesity in this country: food is simply too cheap and too easy to prepare.

So it's a great diet. But would I lose weight on it? Unlike most people (though very much like many at eGullet) I was already eating a mostly core diet, and I was actually gaining weight doing so. I suppose that limiting my non-core items like alcohol and sweets to 35 points a week might produce very gradual weight loss, but I'm sort of hoping to reach goal before I'm dead, frankly.

I'm looking forward to hearing how core is working for others here---not just whether they find they eat less or more, but whether they see weight loss.

Also, I hate to possibly be the bearer of bad news but.......I think a bottle of wine is 12 points not 10 (actually 12.5 if I'm being picky - but I've always counted it as 12). A four ounce glass of wine is 2 points and a 750 ml bottle equals 25.36 ounces. So the number of 4 ounce servings in a bottle (25.36 divided by 4) is 6.34. 6.34 servings at 2 points is 12.68 points. Have I calculated it wrong? I hope so........

If you add up 2 points per serving, yes, you'll end up with 12 points. But whereas 1 serving of wine is 2 points, 2 servings of wine are only 3.5 points, and 3 servings are only 5 points. The difference has to do with rounding in the calorie to number conversion.

So just make sure you drink the entire bottle at once and you're okay. :biggrin:

But whereas 1 serving of wine is 2 points, 2 servings of wine are only 3.5 points, and 3 servings are only 5 points. The difference has to do with rounding in the calorie to number conversion.

Ah....my book only lists one four ounce serving at 2 points. This makes sense. It's probably really 1.67 points or something like that and they just round up.

Where did you get the two and three serving points values? I think upthread it mentioned that it was online? Do I need to sign up for the online service to get that information? Can you tell I want to get the most bang for my points?

Practice Random Acts of Toasting