• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weight Watchers (Part 1)

Marlene

I've got some good tips for getting over a plateau.

How about sharing those now?

Sure! Increase your water intake, watch when you carbs (some people don't easily tolerate carbs in the latter part of the day), increase proteins, and try to remain patient!

My worst plateau was approximately 4 months. Drove me crazy, but I eventually succeeded.

biggrin.gifsmile.gif

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

• 1 year later...

Okay, I've finally got up the nerve to post this...

Is there anyone else out there on Weight Watchers and cooking (and eating) good food?

I've gained 50 lbs since moving to the States five years ago. (Now that might be saying something about the American lifestyle!) I used to joke that it was part of our visa requirements...we had to gain all that weight to fit in.

Well, I finally realised that all this weight wasn't going to go away on its own and so I signed up. I know some here are doing low-carb and the Spouse had been doing it for about a month when I joined WW (and he lost 30 lbs).

Now, to make life easier, we're all eating "Weight Watchers" food. (BTW, if anyone wants to switch from low-carb to WW, it can be done easily. The Spouse continues to lose, just not at the rate as he did on low-carb.)

I read the forums on the Weight Watchers site and I can't believe how some people eat. Blech!

I've been posting some of my cooking adventures on my

food blog.

Please tell me that there are others out there like me...people who like good food and are trying to do Weight Watchers. And wherever you are, talk about what you're cooking. I need more ideas!

There is a weight watchers cookbook that has the Culinary Institute of America name on the front cover. I bought it a few years ago and never used it. But you might look for it. Mine is in the garage as I've been doing low-carb and have lost much more weight than I ever did on low fat eating.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

I have been a Lifetime member of WW since 1998, (lost 70 lbs) and I have never used their prepared foods.

I have found these two cookbooks crazy plates and Looney Spoons, both by the same authors to be great resources.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I lost 40 pounds on Weight Watchers, then plateaued for a year. I recently took a deep breath and have been giving losing weight a real go again, using the WW basics (but not paying for the meetings) and am down 12 more.

As for what we eat. . .well, gosh, everything. If I see a recipe I like, I'll cut down the amount of oil if need be, or substitute a lower-fat alternative (like low-fat sour cream). I use lots of the no-point foods to bulk up dishes, and make sure to eat plenty of whole grains and low-fat protein. My boyfriend is doing things the South Beach way, and the two work surprisingly well together.

I agree that the way some people eat on WW is. . icky. It seems as though some are simply trying to get as much food as possible into each day, health be damned.

Your food looked good in your blog! Yummy, actually, I like the stuffed squash. . .

(if you want any recipes, send me a private message and I'll be happy to forward some on to you that we've enjoyed)

Diana

I do WW online, and am a personal chef, so I cook and eat great food all the time. I lost 65 lbs over a 14 month period, then have maintained that for about 8 months. Now I'm geared up to start losing more. WW absolutely works for me, because I love fruit, veggies, and whole grains. I've never eaten any sort of packaged WW meal, and dare say I never will.

We could have a little eG WW thread for food ideas and support, if anyone wants to. Support on the WW boards usually does include mostly people who eat horrible gunk every day, so it would be refreshing to have a foodie points-counting club.

To clarify, I'm definitely not talking about eating WW-packaged food.

We could have a little eG WW thread for food ideas and support, if anyone wants to.  Support on the WW boards usually does include mostly people who eat horrible gunk every day, so it would be refreshing to have a foodie points-counting club.

This is *exactly* what I was after. Thank you for phrasing it so much better than I did. I've tried to get something going on the WW boards but there just doesn't seem to be many foodie-types there.

Friends from home (Vancouver) are arriving today so we will be having Chinese hot pot for dinner tonight. If no one starts before that, I'll use that to start a WW foodie thread.

We had talked about the idea of having a Weight Loss forum a while ago, but it kinda fell through under its own weight (no pun intended). I have always thought that eGullet's format would lend itself well to the support that should come from a typical Weight Watchers meeting without the faux rah-rah BS and nasty food suggestions that come from most WW leaders.

Three years ago, I lost a little over 100 pounds on Weight Watchers, but drifted off the program around this time two years ago (before the 2002 elections). I'm back on now (after several starts and stops) and have lost 15 lbs in the first three weeks.

Most of my success was what others have mentioned - trying to lighten up (less oil, or cheese or fatty meats) regular recipes or, if I needed to have the real-deal just better portion control. Or just going for the really good things that are available and aren't bad for you - fresh vegetables, grilled instead of sauteed, etc.

As for specifically developed "light" recipes some of the recipes in teh Weight Watchers / CIA cookbook are pretty good and the points are calculated for you. They mostly come from another CIA book here:

Professional Chef's Techniques of Healthy Cooking

Although I must say that some of the ideas in here can make some not so tasty results.

Cooking Light is also a good resource - I nearly always find a few recipes I want to try out of there.

Bill Russell

With tomatoes like those you have on your blog, why haven't you done something like roasted/grilled stuffed tomatoes? I've found those to be fabulous, and ought to easily be made into a good WW-type meal.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Jensen, I have done WW in the past with great success, and am gearing up for another try. I cannot do an Atkins type low carb diet, but a modified lower carb WW really works.

The meetings around here are pretty useless, and I refuse to pay $60-75 a month just to get weighed, so I will be on my own. A support thread would be very helpful.

I have the WW/CIA cookbook and the few things I've tried have been very good.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

With tomatoes like those you have on your blog, why haven't you done something like roasted/grilled stuffed tomatoes? I've found those to be fabulous, and ought to easily be made into a good WW-type meal.

The only ones of those that I think might be "stuffable" were the two kind of "convoluted" ones in the upper left of the photo. They were the firmest; the others were relatively soft and I'm not sure they would stand up to being stuffed.

I'll have to try that though. When I saw the variety at the market, I just wanted a tomato salad. (It was wonderful too, btw. I think the lime juice really enhanced the flavour experience.)

The meetings around here are pretty useless, and I refuse to pay $60-75 a month just to get weighed, so I will be on my own. A support thread would be very helpful.

I've never done it before so, if I don't go to the meetings, then I don't know how to do it. :laugh:

I don't really get a lot of support from the meetings but it's an excuse to get out of the house. I go with a friend (she joined about 16 weeks ago). We have different goals. She's really interested in focusing on portion control and I'm interested in re-learning better eating habits (and portion control).

So far, I've been having fun with the food but I like to share my adventures and there just aren't many foodies on the WW boards.

I have the WW/CIA cookbook and the few things I've tried have been very good.

I'll have to look into this...

I've got a WW cookbook from a few years back that a friend gave the Spouse but the food in it looks kind of blah.

I'm another WW member (and also participated in the discussion Bilrus mentions). I lost 70 pounds in the first 12 months but lately have gained a few back. I need to stop that trend and would love a WW thread on eGullet. Thanks Jensen for bringing this up again.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I do the bi-monthly digest for Chile Pepper Magazine and there's a regular column by Chef Bill Wavrin of the Miraval Spa who recipes are health-conscious but also sound good to eat. You may want to either check out the magazine at your local news stand or the magazine's website.

Miraval Spa's web site also has a recipe section with some interesting dishes: Clickety

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I'm using WW, too. I agree, that many of their suggestions, and posts on the board are for unnatural foods (nonfat cool whip? ugghhh), and I prefer to make my own meals, using real food that I would normally use anyway. Not to mention that their boards have some of the bitchiest posts I've ever read, and I just got tired of the negativity. I actually cancelled my online subscription, as I 'get' the idea, didn't like the site, don't care to spend the $$, and find it tedious as all get-out to go online to log everything I eat. However, the plan is working for me, and I'll be doing it for a while.

I'd love to get the EG feedback/suggestions/recipe swap for WW! My breakfasts and lunches are fairly rote, but I have more time to cook dinner, where I usually make stir frys or grilled veggies, etc. Tons of veggies. I also cook brown rice in a big batch and freeze it in portions (cooking one portion at a time, at a 40 minute cooking time doesn't work for me). I've also gotten into whole wheat pasta and Wasa Whole Grain crispbread. Yogurt cheese, tomatoes and basil on the Wasa...mmmmm....

I've lost 9# so far, and seem to be plateau'd. Anyone have suggestions for this?

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

I join the chorus on singing the praises of Cooking Light. I've subscribed to that magazine for wow, over a decade, and always find new, tasty things to try in each issue, and some things that have become favorites. And since portion control is one of those things that is usually difficult for many people, each recipe states the size and number of each portions (such as "one piece chicken, 2 tablespoons sauce"), which helps make sure you're not eating the whole recipe in one sitting.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Oh, oh, oh!!!

Grilled tomato slices (baste with basil vinaigrette), corn on the cob, and grilled salmon...mmmmm...... a great WW summer meal. :biggrin:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

You may want to subscribe online to get started. They have a 3 month plan for about $50 (?), that I used to get the jist of the thing, then I cancelled. I found it helpful in figuring out what the plan is, how many points I can eat, and what the portions are. It has the nuts & bolts without the public weigh ins, and rah-rah aspect of the meetings.

I'm glad to see this thread. Thanks for being brave enough to post it. :)

I joined WW online too, about a month ago. My weight had crept up about 15 lbs. and I was ready to lose a few pounds. I like the journaling aspect of their site, it keeps me honest, and suprisingly, some of the recipes in their searchable archive are not that bad. Their cooking is extremely simple, which I don't mind. I'm really learning a lot about portion sizes and adding flavor to things without whole cream and plugra. *sigh* But, I'm down 5 lbs. in a month, so something must be going right.

I agree with the take on their community forums though. Ack. I refuse to use fat free cool whip, ever. I would love to see a 'healthy living' discussion be a regular feature here.

Cooking Light is a great resource. I'm very much a regular on their community boards and cook from the magazine quite a bit. Their portion sizes tend to be too large for WW weight loss mode though, so they take a bit of doctoring. Cooking Light Forums

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

For me, and I would suspect a lot of people here on eGullet who cook, the best feature on Weight Watcher online tools is the "recipe Builder" which allows you to input a recipe and it will calcuate points per serving on the overall finished product. This is better and more accurate than piecing it together using the ingredients.

Bill Russell

res_917780180.jpg

Here's a sample of the boyfriend's lunch, it's pretty much like this but varies a little from day to day. It's not exciting or especially highbrow, but it takes a long time for him to get through it. He's lost about 25 pounds so far.

There's yogurt, then a cucumber/tomato/feta salad, then a green salad (always with some other vegetable & cheese on it), dressing (that day was a raspberry vinaigrette), he gets two whole wheat wraps. . .usually turkey, cheese, mustard, lettuce, a piece of fruit, and then a 2nd breakfast (he's eating 1st breakfast at 5:30 AM or so, then eats again at 8 or 9 AM). It's usually something with eggs or egg whites--that day was eggs with salsa & cheese, topped with canadian bacon. Sometimes I'll do salsa & eggs & cheese in a wrap or a pita. I try to make a few cold salads at the beginning of each week both to pack in his lunch and eat for mine (I work at home).

He's quick to admit that always having tasty stuff in his lunchbox has kept him away from the vending machine better than willpower did.

Diana

I'm using WW, too. I agree, that many of their suggestions, and posts on the board are for unnatural foods (nonfat cool whip? ugghhh), and I prefer to make my own meals, using real food that I would normally use anyway.

No kidding! When we were shopping yesterday, the Spouse (bandwagon jumper supreme) is trying to convince me that we need to buy fat-free cottage cheese. My response? "Let's not get carried away here."

I steered him towards the partly-skim ricotta and I can't taste the difference (especially when it's all mixed up with squash and veal). He also dragged his heels over the browned butter last night. I dispensed it rather frugally but there was enough that I could taste it in every bite. It was great!

I've lost 9# so far, and seem to be plateau'd. Anyone have suggestions for this?

I've only been at it for 3.5 weeks but, from what little I've gleaned from the WW boards, these are some things to look at:

* are you drinking all your water?

* are you eating all your points? flex points? APs?

Apparently, if you don't eat all your points, you can put yourself into starvation mode.

A new problem (for me) is that the plan focuses on reeling people in with the promise that they can continue eating at their local TGIRuby-bees, but those are places I didn't even eat at when I lived in the US, much less now. Ditto for brand name pre-made packaged foods. Didn't get them in the US, and CAN'T get them now. :rolleyes:

Apparently, the programme is changing later this month. There have been some leaks about the new options; if it's correct, they have a core group of foods (fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, lean proteins, etc.,) that are 0 points *if everything on the plate is from the core group*.

So, if you make a sandwich with whole grain/high-fiber bread, lean meat, fresh tomatoes, and fat-free mayonnaise, then it's 0 points. If you use real mayonnaise or put a slice of real cheese on it, then you must count the points value and apply them against your Flex Points.

I got the impression that, with this "Core" programme, all you get are Flex Points.

The debut date for this new programme is August 22nd...