• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weight Watchers (Part 1)

Marlene

My reason for wanting to participate in this is that I am already committed to Weight Watchers and the point system and I was hoping to share that commitment with other eGulleters.

I have been following the points plan for 15 months and have lost 68 pounds. I do not use any of the WW recipes. I do eat at fine dining restaurants regularly. I have done every diet out there and it is just easier for me to use the point system rather than dragging out my nutrion books and calculating calories/fat/fiber/protien/carbs etc.

I love following how well Varmint is doing. But, I need more structure than that. I need to count my points. I am weak. Very, very weak..........

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Just as soon as I say I can't contribute, I'll offer my 2 cents.

I will never, ever participate in a specific program that is tied to numbers, points, calories, etc. Do I look at calories? Of course I do; that's why I know that a large gumball has 39 calories. I just don't add them up.

The only way I'm going to succeed in a long term weight reduction plan is to do what's comfortable for me. Would WW ever allow me to drink 17 drinks at a retreat, or eat a steak and cheese, or let me have a scoop of ultra-premium ice cream every night? I don't think so. I knew that I was eating too much and too often. I've fixed that somewhat, and I'm hoping it will be a long-term solution. I'll be challenged when I go to NYC in September, but I also know I'll probably walk 5 to 8 miles every day when I'm there.

I started my thread simply because it was a way that I could be honest with myself. I haven't told everyone that I use heavy cream in my coffee. I generally 'fess up to my snacks. But the thread is merely a tool to get me started for the first several months. I'll probably only post once a week when I'm more comfortable with my will power. I'm not there, yet.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I would like to join the group. I lost 20 pounds on weight watchers the first time I joined. Could afford to loose more.

Monica, your book (spice is right) is actually really useful to me for WW purposes, since it has all the nutrional information right there with every recipe.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

Would WW ever allow me to drink 17 drinks at a retreat, or eat a steak and cheese, or let me have a scoop of ultra-premium ice cream every night?  I don't think so.

But if we develop our own thing, it will have to allow for those indulgences -- just not all the time all at once. There has to be a way to measure them, record them, and compensate for them. Otherwise it just won't work for this audience. I mean, we have plenty of people on this site who dine out 5-10 times a week. Most of us are wine drinkers. This is a much bigger challenge than telling a bunch of average citizens to eat frozen foods made by Heinz.

For one person, like you Varm, the willpower diet may be all that is needed. But if we are going to create something for a group, it needs to be quantitative in nature -- there's just no other way.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Don't worry, it won't likely make me thin -- but I sure could stand to lose a few pounds in order to go from "morbidly obese" to just "obese" or maybe even just "overweight." But if it does for some reason work, having a skinny Fat Guy should be quite funny.

For me the critical issue would be a way to accommodate fine-dining restaurant meals on a very frequent basis.

If we are serious about this effort, we should assemble a development team. Varm, Marlene, who else?

The trick with fine dining restaurants, and other high-caloric foods is to take them in moderation, IE - go to wherever, but just don't order the entire menu, and once you've had your fill, don't keep eating.

Then there's other little tricks and tips, like limiting the amount of dressing you have with salad by dipping your fork in the dressing and then spearing some salad, rather than just pouring the dressing over the salad.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

I would like to join the group. I lost 20 pounds on weight watchers the first time I joined. Could afford to loose more.

Monica, your book (spice is right) is actually really useful to me for WW purposes, since it has all the nutrional information right there with every recipe.

Thanks.. that is why I put the info in. It really helped me out when eating at Indian restaurants as well. I started on WW just before the book and then continued on it. It has helped. I do need support to keep me going though.. it will be great to join a group and keep each other motivated.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I think that the biggest thing something like this could do is to provide support and an outlet for more people, whether they are following a strict Weight Watchers point system, a new semi-official eGullet plan, Varmint's Not-the-eGullet-Diet Weight Loss System or even (god forbid) the Atkins diet.

Like Ledlund, Marlene, Monica and others, I have had success with Weight Watchers. Others have had success with their own system and others like ruthcooks couldn't imagine choking down Haricots Vert Pineapple Surprise. In the end though my guess is that most people on here could use some help in putting a little less down their own eGullets.

Bill Russell

I like the idea of both an official eG diet and the ability for adherents of all plans to participate. There should be some baseline rules, however, that everybody involved has to follow. In particular, some approximation of the weekly lecture and weigh-in system that WW uses seems essential. And I think this is one of those rare situations in which I would advocate a non-public forum, perhaps in the Member's Center and locked with a password, with its own set of rules about privacy and decorum.

So Marlene seems to be taking charge of this, but it's too big a job for one person. She will need a committee, I think.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Would WW ever allow me to drink 17 drinks at a retreat, or eat a steak and cheese, or let me have a scoop of ultra-premium ice cream every night?  I don't think so.

But if we develop our own thing, it will have to allow for those indulgences -- just not all the time all at once. There has to be a way to measure them, record them, and compensate for them. Otherwise it just won't work for this audience. I mean, we have plenty of people on this site who dine out 5-10 times a week. Most of us are wine drinkers. This is a much bigger challenge than telling a bunch of average citizens to eat frozen foods made by Heinz.

For one person, like you Varm, the willpower diet may be all that is needed. But if we are going to create something for a group, it needs to be quantitative in nature -- there's just no other way

FG - you are absolutely right. The need to quantify is huge for me. I think you would find the WW points an easy measure. What they use is a formula that starts with the calorie in a given food, gives a bonus for higher fiber and penalizes for higher fat. I know there are more scientific methods out there, but I am lazy and, as I mentioned before, weak :biggrin:

WW lets you eat whatever you want. I may choose to eat differently to insure weight loss.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Ok: here is a brief summary:

Some of us use WW

Varmint has his own system

Some use Atkins

There are systems that work for each of us. To develop a specific eating plan? Diffent systems for differnt people. What we can provide is accountability, support, rules and nutritional information. Record them and compensate for them? Absolutely. Hmmm. heck, I've got the makings of a committee here. I can develop an exercise plan.

Here's my committee:

Bilrus

Ledlund

Knorthrup

Varmint (as special consultant :biggrin: )

I'd like to take this offline, so if my committee will pm me their email addresses, I'll set up an email group for us to start working on some stuff.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'd be happy to help out as well.

Ok, pm me your email.

That's probably enough people to start with. As we progress, we may need to open it up more!

Thanks everyone.

Marlene

Thanks for taking the initiative.  And thanks to Varmint who put this idea in my head of making my efforts public.

That was me!

Of course, how could I forget Elyse :huh: . Sorry about that. There's enough gratitude to go around, though.

Bill Russell

Well, I went and weighed in yesterday for the first time in a while. The results were about what I expected, but still did not make me happy. My giant slack ass (or rahter previously slacking ass) has put back on 45 of the original 113 I lost (full disclosure: I was 440 pounds. I know, I know, I don't look that bog from my posts :wink: ). But instead of being bummed out this has motivated me.

Day one went well. Stayed within my Points range (on the low end), dinner was two big bowls of watermelon, the best one i have had this year. Nothing says summer to me more than watermelon. And for exercise I hit two large buckets of golf balls in oppressive humidity. Not exactly running a marathon, I know, but it did get a good sweat going.

In my own head I am starting from square one. No more references to the total amount i have lost. I am at zero and going down.

Next step - set some goals for myself.

Bill Russell

I'm trying a modified Atkins style high protein, low carb diet.

I've fairly painlessly lost about 10lbs over a couple of weeks.

Modified since I refuse to give up coffee, or wine...

I like it since one can eat as much as one likes, dine out without too much trouble.

No problem with butter, or bacon, or cream. (3.3g carb per cup, whipped- I could eat 5 pints a day if I wanted, but not much else. But then if I'd just eaten 5 pints of whipped cream I wouldn't want much else...)

The only difficulty so far was airline food on a 4 hour flight where the on-board meal was Pasta or risotto, with no alternatives I was reduced to picking the cheese out of a cheese sandwich. Serves me right for not taking my own.

So today

Breakfast was bacon and eggs, coffee

Lunch was cheeses, cold meats, salad (Baron Phillip de Rothschild 2000 Vigonier)

Supper will be Asparagus (butter or hollandaise), long-cooked brisket, coleslaw, strawberries and cream ( Manzanilla, Mas La Plana 95, Coonewara botrytis affected late harvest Gewurtz, 98). I'll cook some new potatos for the others.

Well, I went and weighed in yesterday for the first time in a while.  The results were about what I expected, but still did not make me happy.  My giant slack ass (or rahter previously slacking ass) has put back on 45 of the original 113 I lost  (full disclosure: I was 440 pounds.  I know, I know, I don't look that bog from my posts :wink: ).  But instead of being bummed out this has motivated me. 

Day one went well.  Stayed within my Points range (on the low end), dinner was two big bowls of watermelon, the best one i have had this year.  Nothing says summer to me more than watermelon.  And for exercise I hit two large buckets of golf balls in oppressive humidity.  Not exactly running a marathon, I know, but it did get a good sweat going.

In my own head I am starting from square one.  No more references to the total amount i have lost.  I am at zero and going down. 

Next step - set some goals for myself.

First of all, you're not allowed to beat yourself up for putting back on some of the weight. This is a lifetime journey remember, so some weeks you'll go up the hill, and some weeks you'll slide down the hill. It's all about balance. And you need to enjoy life, and food.

Take confidence from the fact that you recognize you need to get back in the groove. That's a most important step. Use that motivation to take a few more steps. Start walking. After dinner, 45 minutes at a reasonably brisk pace. No marathons (yet) :biggrin: It's summer and perfect weather for walking.

Don't use the scale as your only benchmark of success. Take your measurements, arms, chest, waist, thighs. Write them down. As you weigh in once a week, take your measurements too. As you replace fat with muscle, you may not see a loss on the scale, but you sure will in how your clothes fit. For example, since I starting lifting weights a year ago, I'm probably only 4 lbs lighter, but I'm two dress sizes smaller. My resting heart rate is way down, doctors drool over my blood pressure, and I've increased my bone density (very important for women over 40). So weight is not the only measure of success.

We're here with you, cheering your successes, and working through the low spots (there's no such thing as a failure) with you.

I've been formulating some ideas in my head over the weekend for our group to start researching, so look for an email from me tomorrow. :smile:

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

For exercise, I've gone back and started fencing again. I did about 1/2 an hour of saber last afternoon, and then walked four miles. I had one pretty high calorie meal (burger and fries), but other than that, I was very low-cal for the rest of the day.

Best of luck, bilrus. I think the first three weeks of a serious, dedicated weight loss plan can be the toughest, but if you are serious, then you WILL see results. After that, it's the best.

Your motivation basically comes from within, but I will offer a quick word based on my experience. If you choose to become more active, just pick two days per week where you push yourself to your maximum. Walking, stationary bike, --whatever, just push yourself only twice a week not consecutively. Hit golf balls on the off-days, if that's what you like. Do what you like on those days! You will lose fat and you will get results.

No need for Atkins, no need for slim fast. A great need for will-power. Dump the junk between meals. It adds up. Limit portions a bit. Use common sense.

This is a hard thing to do, but as it took a while to put on the lbs, it will take a while to remove them. Be patient and do NOT give up. You will see results.

It would be fantastically happy for everyone here to see you're post in 8 months telling how you're down to 280. Make us proud!

Looking forward to it!

Best of luck.

A quick question: What does Weight Watchers really offer besides the meetings?

I joined WW in 2001. The advantage of joining WW was the weekly weigh-in. The disadvantage was paying $15 a week for membership and materials. Once you have the diet info, why pay so much? The meeting were boring; I would get weighed and then leave.

I had nothing in common with the other members and found that very few were interested in food. If we form an eGullet program I'm in. :smile:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme