• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonald's announces new ad theme

Dave the Cook

Is McDonald's getting desperate for a reason, or is this just desperation for its own sake?

Most of the major fast food chains are in financial difficulty.

In addition to what others have said here, I think the situation started, or accelerated, with the introduction of Wendy's Dollar Menu a couple of years ago. To stay competitive, everyone was forced to offer something similar, and they can't make money at those prices. But it's kind of like rebates on US automobiles: no one is willing to be the first to forego them, out of fear of losing market share.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Another sign of desperation is trying to fix a fundamental business problem with an ad campaign. What you are likely to see is stories a few months down the road quoting unnamed company insiders who say the campaign ain't working. Then they'll roll out something else.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

I never did like McDonald's. Burger King and Wendy's I could take, but McDonald's, not!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

WHT,

So they either need a smarter clientele or a shorter menu, or both.

New slogan-- If your brain is slack just say Big Mac!

It works for me.

Living hard will take its toll...

Maybe if they tried "McDonald's - Official Fast Food of the Atkins Diet."

Or not.

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

Or they can just make an all-out appeal to gluttony with an enormous burger: "We've put the Big in Big Mac"

They could hire Bernie Mac and do "we put the Mac in Bernie Mac".

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I'm lovin' it

Get used to it -- it'll be everywhere for the next two years.

Oh, man! I admit...this is even worse than We love to see you smile-and that was the best one I heard of. Can someone do better than this? Not with the one they got for the next two years.

That whole slogan is ridiculous. :angry: And I don't like it.

I think silver suits me so...

...but red is also for me!

Iron Chef Morimoto all the way!

From me, a fan of Iron Chef.

Can someone please, PLEASE explain how they can get away with this mediocre CRAP?

Everyone seems to hate McDonalds. Why? Is it their 'slogan?'

My dream is that one day the people will wake up and realise that they don't really know anything.

Can someone please, PLEASE explain how they can get away with this mediocre CRAP? 

Everyone seems to hate McDonalds.  Why?  Is it their 'slogan?' 

My dream is that one day the people will wake up and realise that they don't really know anything.

i like mcdonalds.

Everyone seems to hate McDonalds.  Why?  Is it their 'slogan?' 

McDonald's is still ridiculously successful with kids, teens and early 20-somethings. All of those people can drag their parents along too.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

• 1 month later...

I saw a McDonald's ad on TV tonight- a hip-hop version (ouch) of the "two all-beef patties, special sauce" jingle- and it occurred to me that I haven't seen this new ad campaign anywhere yet. So when do I get to start lovin' it, anyway?