• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonald's announces new ad theme

Dave the Cook

Reminds me of the "Jesus Wow!" campaign by George Carlin in Kevin Smith's film "Dogma."

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

See, it's the fact that the fake word lovin' is oh so much more modern than the old fashioned real word loving. Because, you know, people born before 1985 didn't understand the concept of droping a letter and replacing it with an apostrophe.

Also the concept of smiling is out of date. These days you are expected to grimace so that they understand that you appreciate the food. Grimace? Get it? If you are lovin' it and think its funny please don't smile.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

"It'll be fun, it'll be relevant, it'll be hip, it'll be compelling, and it will connect with people of all ages," chief operating officer Charlie Bell said.

Isn't this pretty well word for word what every official of a desperate, out-of-touch large corporation says about their new campaign? And isn't it pretty well axiomatic that if you have to say you are fun, relevant, hip, compelling, etc., then you aren't?

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

"It'll be fun, it'll be relevant, it'll be hip, it'll be compelling, and it will connect with people of all ages," chief operating officer Charlie Bell said.

Isn't this pretty well word for word what every official of a desperate, out-of-touch large corporation says  about their  new campaign?  And isn't it pretty well axiomatic that if you have to say you are fun, relevant, hip, compelling, etc., then you aren't?

It just means that the ad agency was feeding Charlie the usual drugs they slip into the catered food whenever corporate executives show up. Its the only logical explanation, since NOBODY could be that out of touch. Maybe young people will be break dancing or something like that in the commercial . Kids will be wearing hats backwards and baggy clothes. Brutha' will walk up to the counter and ask for some "flava".

Wait. This would actually all be amusin'. I'm lovin' it.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

All I think of is Kramer from Seinfeld.

Thanks to Google and this guy's site.

"I need the secure packaging of Jockeys. My boys need a house!" - Kramer, in "The Chinese Woman"

"There's nothing holding me in place. I'm flipping, I'm flopping." - Kramer, unhappy with boxer shorts, in "The Chinese Woman"

"The only thing between him and us is a thin layer of gaberdine." - Jerry, learning that Kramer has given up on underwear of any kind, in "The Chinese Woman"

"I'm out there Jerry and loving every minute of it." - Kramer, in "The Chinese Woman"

EDIT - nope nix the soundclip I'd added here. Dead link.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

quote from the article:

"Once packaged with music, video and other creative aspects, McDonald's executives promised that the new campaign will generate a "wow" effect with consumers and restaurant operators.

wow. i'm soo not lovin' it.

and i haven't even seen the ad yet.

:huh:

gus

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Is McDonald's getting desperate for a reason, or is this just desperation for its own sake?

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

Over the last few years sales have stalled, they fired their CEO, are closing unprofitable stores all over North America and watching their margins vanish as they duke it out on price. They're beset by obesity lawsuits and an unshakeable perception that their food is unhealthy.

They've tried to break out of the burger niche, with not much luck. Burgers are what people think of when they think of McDonalds. That used to be a tremendous advantage. Now McDonald's is almost at the point where they have negative brand equity--they're trapped in a really, really bad spot.

It's gone from "You deserve a break today," to "McDonalds? Give me a break."

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

I wonder how much of the perception results from kitchen workers in plain view of the counter snatching gray, lukewarm meat patties out of little plastic trays with tongs to assemble the burgers... bleah.gif

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

They've tried to break out of the burger niche, with not much luck. Burgers are what people think of when they think of McDonalds. That used to be a tremendous advantage.

That hits the point home. You don’t go there to get pizza or wings much less salad. As they have moved away from the core products they have hurt themselves. The original concept was a few items that you could get quickly and at a reasonable price. It should not take the person in front of you 3 Min. to debate over 5 chicken sandwiches.

Living hard will take its toll...