• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Julie/Julia Project

stefanyb

It'll be interesting to see how last night's power outage effected her attempt.

Apparently it didn't affect it by much, but she had to cook by candlelight. Guess she has a gas stove.

Yes, she did just fine. Amazing, isn't it? From reading her blog, it sounds like one of her better days.

Go figure.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Julie completes her project:

http://blogs.salon.com/0001399/

Fuck this fucking pastry dough.  Fuck it ! FUCKIT!  I’m a fucking failure, it’s been 364 days and I can’t make fucking pastry dough, I’m a useless piece of shit.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Julie completes her project:

http://blogs.salon.com/0001399/

Fuck this fucking pastry dough.  Fuck it ! FUCKIT!  I’m a fucking failure, it’s been 364 days and I can’t make fucking pastry dough, I’m a useless piece of shit.

I'm going to miss it when the blog is done.

hey, is anyone going to the end-of-blog party? I remember the deal -- if you can find her apartment, you're welcome.

I also see that someone set up merchandise for her -- including a Julie/Julia thong.

Did she reach her goal and make every recipe? The last few entries don't say anything like, "only six more recipes to go..."

I'm going to miss this blog, too. I didn't faithfully read the whole blog, but I always enjoyed it when I did read it. Perhaps she'll turn this into a book.

PS Any chance of luring her to eGullet for a Q&A?

Any chance of luring her to eGullet for a Q&A?

We've been trying to have her do a eGCI class or to write for TDG. A Q&A is a possibility, but hasn't she done that for the last year via the comments section of her blog?

She hasn't really done much Q&A in her comments section, barely participates there, it seems. I've read her for about seven months, and I think a Q&A here would be a good thing.

Instead of a normal Q&A, we should have Bourdain interview her. They seem very much the same person, Julia providing just a slightly more effeminate version of Tony's voice.

Instead of a normal Q&A, we should have Bourdain interview her. They seem very much the same person, Julia providing just a slightly more effeminate version of Tony's voice.

A conversation between Tony and Julie, now there is a MUST READ!!!

What I really wish is that she'd starting hanging out and posting here. (Have you told her she can write fuck as often as she wants and not get in trouble?) Didn't Tony first find out about this site through his Q&A?

yup, it's done. excerpt from the final blog entry:

This is the end.

It is a strange thing to write, and a stranger place to be in.

The final kidneys have been cooked, and eaten.  I even made the gelatin mayonnaise.  And though the kidneys did not taste like piss, my piss, I notice this morning, does smell like kidneys.

I do not know where to go from here.  I do know that I have doorways to choose from that I would never have seen a year ago.  I know now that sometimes the most irrational, nay insane, path is the one that will bring you around to the other side.  I know how to make béchamel.  And I know, or at least am beginning to know, what it is that Julia’s been trying to teach me all this time.

So, the Project has come to a close.  There will a postscript or two.  (Sunday, for instance, after a Saturday pilgrimage.)  I’m going to need some time to get my head together.  I’m going to need to get a gym membership.  I’m going to be treating some great ingredients respectfully.  I do not know what this blog will become.  I imagine it will become something – things evolve.  I know I have.

They seem very much the same person, Julia providing just a slightly more effeminate version of Tony's voice.

Huh. See, I thought it was the other way around. :biggrin:

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

i don't think this is a tale out of class: when i did that story (oh, last fall?), i printed out all of the posts up to that point and took it to julia. she was amused, but slightly not amused. she thought it was a funny idea, but i think she was put off a bit that julie wasn't taking the recipes as seriously as she might have. i guess when you're 90, that whole hip ironic detachment thing isn't quite as charming.

wow... I think Julia misinterpreted this. Julie took the whole thing really seriously. I'm surprised at JC's (love the initial's...) reaction.

Just watched Julie on the CBS Morning show (no, I do not normally watch it; Julie mentioned it on her blog.)

Amazing, she was not at ALL like the mental image I had created from her writing. She is this giggly, bubbly girl; they didn't even have to bleep anything. She seemed much younger than 30. She was wearing a flowery skirt and a black shirt, and has rather flyaway hair. I don't know, I was expecting more of a sophisticated, hip New Yorker with a designer haircut and a chic outfit. Clearly I am not getting out of California enough...

Two positive points: her enthusiasm for cooking came across as genuine, and the interviewer actually let her finish a sentence or two without interupting her.

BAKED cucumber? Weird.

By the way, theres a new Yahoo Group for fans of the J/J Project:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Julie-JuliaDD/

Be sure to let them know we want Julie fans on eG!

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

OK - video's up on the site, use the link to the article, above.

That's not the interview I saw this morning, but I like it better. The one I saw, she was just sitting in a chair being interviewed. This "Eye on America" piece that is one the link you posted shows her cooking-she looks more comfortable. Still no bleeps, though. :hmmm:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still talking to her about doing some writing for us. We'll see. :biggrin:

• 2 months later...

Just happened to catch a Second City TV rerun with John Candy doing Julia in a skit involving a very screwed up tv chef episode. It was both spooky--because Candy nailed her, voice and manner--and--hilarious.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"