• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Julie/Julia Project

stefanyb

Rather ambitious to not only cook all that but to do play-by-play. Most of us haven’t the time to try out a few new things much less write about them.

Maybe if we spent less time here….

:rolleyes:

Living hard will take its toll...

• 2 weeks later...

I would be bored. It is ambitious but that kind of perseverance does not occur in the ordinary human.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 2 weeks later...
Favorite quote of the blog, so far: "Artichokes -- the lobsters of the vegetable kingdom." (8/26/02)

Mine is: "Ok what could happen?"

Oh and this one: "they’re [the ladyfingers] bent over at the waist like sad little swooning ladies."

Edited by Spoonful (log)

• 5 weeks later...

New radio interview with Julie, in MP3 format:

http://media.skybuilders.com/lydon/julie.mp3

You might need Windows Media Player or Nullsoft Winamp to listen to it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The Times finally caught on. Here's Amanda Hesser's article in today's paper:

A Race to Master the Art of French Cooking

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

The Times finally caught on.  Here's Amanda Hesser's article in today's paper:

They replaced every expletive she said with the word "cookie" and made me very hungry in the process. :biggrin:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

i don't think this is a tale out of class: when i did that story (oh, last fall?), i printed out all of the posts up to that point and took it to julia. she was amused, but slightly not amused. she thought it was a funny idea, but i think she was put off a bit that julie wasn't taking the recipes as seriously as she might have. i guess when you're 90, that whole hip ironic detachment thing isn't quite as charming.

The Times finally caught on.  Here's Amanda Hesser's article in today's paper:

There are so many legitimate reasons to criticize the Times and its dining coverage, we probably don't need to bother with gratuitous ones. I'd bet a significant amount of money that the editors and writers at the dining section have known about this for ages.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Tomorrow, August 15th, is Julia Child's birthday... It's easy for me to remember because... ummm...its ummm... well lets just say its easy for me to remember....

For all she has accomplished, she is amazing! :wub:

Russ, it was your article in the other Times that first alerted me to Julie/Julia. I love that you printed it out for Julia. Personally, I think Julie has misinterpreted Julia a little, and I can understand why the latter would be put off by that. This comes out in AH's description of Julia's "ancient" technique, e.g. And really, this exagerrated fear of butter is so overwrought.

It'll be interesting to see how last night's power outage effected her attempt.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

It'll be interesting to see how last night's power outage effected her attempt.

Apparently it didn't affect it by much, but she had to cook by candlelight. Guess she has a gas stove.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host