• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Julie/Julia Project

stefanyb

In all likelihood, I was first turned on to this by a mention of this site right here on eGullet but I don't remember and my search turned up nothing.

The Julie/Julia Project recounts the day by day, recipe by recipe attempts at Mastering the Art...... It is very entertainingly written by Julie as she works her way through Julia's book. I recommend it.

Julie must be quite a trooper...

I posted the link about a month ago in a response to a question on another thread - much better idea, StefanyB, to start a thread of its own.

Not to go too far off topic, but who else reads Salon around here?

beachcove, I look at Salon about every two weeks, sometimes more frequently.

Yes, this is a great idea. I first saw this on Bruce's Saute Wednesday site.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

• 4 weeks later...

Julie Powell, a former Austinite now living in New York, decided to tackle the entire 'Mastering the Art of French Cooking' in one year.

So, she started at the beginning of the book with a goal to prepare EVERY SINGLE RECIPE within one year's time. In addition, she holds down a fulltime job in Manhattan, leaving her little time for shopping and cooking.

She is chronicling her efforts on Salon.com (blogs.salon.com/0001399/) and they are funny and entertaining to read.

It's particularly interesting (to me anyway) when she arrives at a recipe that is a personal favorite of my own.

Anyone else following along??

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

At least stefanyb is following (The Julie/Julia Project, website worth the read ) :raz:

Dang. I did a search - Dang.

Well, at least I know StefanyB is following along....

What's that they say about "great minds"?

:biggrin:

Guess the lesson here is that I should learn how to operate the "Search" mechanism more efficiently.

ATTENTION MODS: STUPID ALERT. REQUESTING MERGE. REQUESTING MERGE.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 1 month later...

I thought I discovered this in the most recent Food section of the Washington Post - but now I can't locate it. Anyway, check out the Julie/Julia Blog. Some crazy woman (Julie) decided to to tackle all 536 recipes in Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" in 1 year - 365 days. She started doing this on Aug. 25, 2002. It's still going strong today. I've linked the very first post.

I think this is being turned into a book after all is said and done. Anyway, it's quite enjoyable, check it out!

-Eric

Yes, this is great. There was a thread about this about two months ago but I can't find it.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

It was also in the LA Times last Wednesday.

Inspiring! Brings a question to mind:

If you were to do the same as Julie, whose book would you like to tackle?

I'm still thinking...

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Inspiring!  Brings a question to mind: 

I'm still thinking...

Lynne Rossetto Kasper "The Splendid Table."

Edited by NeroW (log)

Noise is music. All else is food.

I'm still thinking...

Jacques Pepin Celebrates.

May I have an extra year and handle half of one recipe each day? :biggrin:

I'm still thinking...

"The Making of a Cook" by Madeline Kamman.

I'm a glutton for punishment, I know.

I am still working my way through Julia, though her structure was ingrained in me before I knew it, thanks to my mother's cooking dialogue.

I started reading the blog, v. amusing. I can certainly relate to a lot of it.

But, to choose another book to cook: The Babbo Cookbook. I know its short, but there is a lot packed in there.

I'm embarrassed to say this, but I only bought Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" a couple of weeks ago (1st edition at Maggie's Cookbooks W. Seattle).

But better late than never I say, and what great timing... I love the diary! :biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...

Most of us (some of us?) know about Julie Powell's blog, "The Julia/Julia Project". I hadn't checked in there recently so when I came across this article in today's Christian Science Monitor, I thought I'd check it out again.

"You know what’s worse than being a secretary? Being a really bad secretary. I spent all day in a mad rush yesterday preparing for The Meeting, and really very much almost didn’t make it, my hair was a mess, I bashed my shin in on a recycling bin, everyone could see what a moronic crazy person I was, and I wound up paying 265 dollars of my own money after a crazy stupid catering problem that was all my fault and that I don’t want to go into........"

The Julia/Julia Project