• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Julie/Julia Project

stefanyb

What would I do without e-gullet here in suburban Colorado? I just started reading her blog last week and it is addictive, even though I'm supposed to be getting the house ready for our temporary move to CA.

Actually, I'm surprised Julia wouldn't want to meet her, after all those long nights preparing her recipes and all that butter used. :biggrin:

Edited by kellycolorado (log)

Actually, I'm surprised Julia wouldn't want to meet her, after all those long nights preparing her recipes and all that butter used. :biggrin:

No, but I'm sure that The American Dairy Association loves her enough to compensate for that.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 2 weeks later...

It's official.

Good news – I want to go out with a bang, so there is at long last going to be a J/JP Party! On Wednesday, December 17th from 6 to 8 pm (and beyond?!) Eric and I will be at the Fat Black Pussycat at 130 West 3rd Street, between 6th Ave and MacDougal, expecting anyone and everyone to show up for a Julie/Julia Project wake. I’ve never been to this place, so I make no promises, but I’m reserving a lounge just for us. So come! I want to meet you all in the flesh, and lift a gimlet or three to you!

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

• 2 weeks later...

Many already know of Julia Child’s exploits during World War II, but for those who don’t this excerpt may be of some interest. It is taken from an article entitled “Shadow Women”, detailing several female spies, and reproduced with the written permission of The American Legion from The American Legion Magazine, November 2003, pg. 47

Julia McWilliams was another OSS hire. She came onboard after her rejection by the U.S. Navy. Her 6-foot-2 frame exceeded Navy height restrictions for women. She served the OSS both in the United States and China, earning the Emblem of Meritorious Civilian Service as head of the registry of the OSS Secretariat in China. After the war, she married OSS colleague Paul Child, attended the world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu culinary academy, and gained stardom as a cooking expert, television personality and author. Julia Child also developed a shark repellant for NASA to protect astronauts after splashdown.

“Julia told me that of all the things she did in her 90 years of living, her fondest memories were with the OSS in East Asia during World War II,” McCarthy said. “She was one of 900 women who were transferred overseas in 1944”.

"Reprinted with permission of The American Legion Magazine, copyright November 2003."

And you thought she only COOKED? Foolish people! :laugh:

edited to add "Foolish people!"

Edited by Huevos del Toro (log)

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

I'm still talking to her about doing some writing for us. We'll see. :biggrin:

I actually found out about this site from reading her blog, someone posted in the replies, that she should check out egullet as its the best,biggest food forum,etc.., well she told the guy to f##k off and stop trying to promote some other site on her space,lol

I'm still talking to her about doing some writing for us. We'll see.  :biggrin:

I actually found out about this site from reading her blog, someone posted in the replies, that she should check out egullet as its the best,biggest food forum,etc.., well she told the guy to f##k off and stop trying to promote some other site on her space,lol

That was me, and no, that was someone else that told me to @#$@# off. Julie and I have a pretty good relationship otherwise.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 7 months later...

Thanks for bringing up this thread. I've been reading through the Julie/Julia Project. I'm finding it fascinating. I think it was a great, original idea, but I really can't imagine eating all those creamy dishes night after night. I think I would scream after a while. It has inspired me to add to my cookbook, collection, though.

it just makes me want to sit down and eat a bag of sugar chased down by a bag of flour.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The book comes out later this month, but I have had the pleasure of reading it already. Great stuff! I found it very inspiring; not just in a cooking sense, but in the way that it served as a form of self help for her. I highly recommend it.

The book comes out later this month, but I have had the pleasure of reading it already. Great stuff! I found it very inspiring; not just in a cooking sense, but in the way that it served as a form of self help for her. I highly recommend it.

I can't wait. I have it pre-ordered on Amazon. They've promised it around October 4. Must remember to warn the UPS guy. I've yet to actually tackle him, in anticipation of a package. Yet.

I've read parts of the blog and loved it. My eyes won't tolerate a lot of computer time, so I've decided to wait for the book.

I can't wait. I have it pre-ordered on Amazon. They've promised it around October 4. Must remember to warn the UPS guy. I've yet to actually tackle him, in anticipation of a package. Yet.

Weird. I just checked amazon, and it's already available there? They must have lifted the laydown date. You should get it sooner than that!

It arrived in this morning's mail!

Flipping through it, it's written more in novel/autobiography form than blog form. I'm going to enjoy reading through it and then going back and comparing it with the blog. The writing seems to be every bit as witty, and I'll be interested to see whether it's lost any of its freshness. I really admire her writing, and especially her ability to do it, exhausted, after a rough night in the kitchen --and still manage to say something that is laugh-out-loud funny.

This will be a treat! I sense an early lunch happening at the office today.

Here's the link to the LA Times Food Section Digest (28 Sept. 2005)

Here's my brief introduction to the LA Times article:

Julie, unplugged / by Max Withers

The blogger's year of culinary trial and error morphs into a memoir -- but is that such a good thing? Enter Julie Powell. In August 2002, the 29-year-old decided to cook all 524 recipes in Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" in the next year — and write all about it on the Internet in her blog. Now, the blog turns into a book -- "Julie & Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen."

Includes two recipes: Pot-au-feu; Crêpes suzette

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Julie was on Good Morning America today; I'm sorry to admit that I wasn't aware of the project, but I thought she was a great interview, and will definitely check out the book. Julie mentioned that although she had never met Julia, she knew that Julia was aware of the project before she passed away. Charlie Gibson actually made her tear up when he said something to the effect of "Even though you didn't get to meet her, I can assure you that Julia would have loved you." Charlie's a big JC fan, so that was pretty sweet to see.

Link to an excerpt from the GMA web site here.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 3 weeks later...

Well... did anyone catch Julie on "Martha" today?

I tuned in towards the end of the show, just as Julie was beginning her spot. I think she held up very well under the, er... circumstances. In fact, I found her quite appealing as far as FoodTV goes... she displayed some good potential for that media, I thought: knowledge, humour, confidence, presence, and an average Joe, I mean Julie , demeanor.

"The Julia Project" TV Series anyone? :rolleyes:

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

• 1 year later...

just thought I'd mention that if you sell on Amazon the Julie/Julia book is a good one to list--sold in 15 minutes!

I had read about her project, although I never went to the blog--but i enjoyed the book--she's a good writer-- i didn't care so much for the fictional Julia sections--otherwise very entertaining.

Zoe

• 15 years later...
30 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Very sad. Much too young. 

• Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Russ Parsons shared a link to this old LA Times piece that he wrote around the time the movie came out.  It probably says more about Julia than Julie but it's a good read.  Apologies if there's a paywall. 

Julie, Julia and me: Now it can be told

I very much enjoyed reading Julie's blog in real time, as she was cooking.  As Russ says in the article, it was excellent in those short bursts. I didn't really want to re-hash the saga in a full length book.

I had a gimlet in her honor last night and plan to make another someday soon and rewatch the movie. 

28 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I very much enjoyed reading Julie's blog in real time, as she was cooking.

So did I initially, but it didn’t take long for it to become a depressant. I had no desire to read the book or to watch the movie. Nevertheless, I can recognize it as an amazing feat. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog