• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

To call, or not to call?

jeniac42

Alrighty-o, eGulleteers. Here's a question for you. Last Friday, I applied for a kitchen job at a place that'll be opening soon. The exec. chef there was formerly the sous at a really good place in town, and it seems like it'd be good experience.

So, I wrote on my application that I'd like to work in the kitchen, and would be willing to do prep. The chef, when I spoke with him, said they'd not received a single other application for a prep cook, and he'd definitely be calling me this week. Well, Friday is rolling around again, and of course I've had no word.

Keeping in mind that I have to pay a whole hell of a lot of bills and am therefore going to be reduced to nuking food at Friday's if I don't find a job in a decent place SOON: Should I call the restaurant? Or should I just assume they didn't want to hire me, after all?

Jennie

Call. At least that way you'll know for sure.

They always do that, saying they'll call, and then they don't. Not out of malice or not wanting to be the bearer of bad news; often they just don't get around to it for a while because they're busy with so many other aspects of opening. But if you really really want the job, it helps to show that you've got the initiative.

And if you can't get him, don't say "Oh, I'll call back another time." Leave a very specific message, to the effect of "I spoke with you on (date) about a prep cook position; just checking to see if you've made a decision" and your name and phone #. Make it easy for him to remember you and to get back to you.

I agree. Call. People get busy. They "mean" to call you back, but there are just other priorities sometimes, and it gets pushed to the back. As Suzanne says, be specific. And I wouldn't call more than twice. Once - if you don't get him, leave a specific message, and then wait for a few more days.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Call him definitely. And when you do, if he doesn't seem too busy, try to talk about your passion for food. If the guy thinks you've got a desire to work with quality food he may see fit to hire you. Pad his ego too, "Man when you were the sous at ...., I ate there, had one of the best meals of my life. How did you guys make the ...? I tried to get in that kitchen but you guys were always full up." Show some enthusiasm. That ALWAYS works with me if I have an opening. Good luck.

Call him, and remind him how much you really want to work there and how you can help. Mention nay other skills you might also have or want to acquire.

It's so unusual to find enthusiastic people, that alone will stand out.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Well, I have called. I got an answering machine (which is unsurprising, since the place isn't even open yet) and left a voicemail for the chef. Now I just wait to (hopefully) hear back.

I think tonight at work I'll also chat with our wine rep, who knows people in probably 80% of the restaurants in Columbus. Perhaps he knows this guy, too.

Jennie

Pad his ego too, "Man when you were the sous at ...., I ate there, had one of the best meals of my life.  How did you guys make the ...?  I tried to get in that kitchen but you guys were always full up."

Thats not brown nosing drivel?

You have to do 2 things:

1) Make sure they remember your name

2) Make sure you stand out

Do this:

3 hours before dinner service, show up in whites with your knife kit, and ask to work for free for a day. I would be very surprised if you didnt get a job offer. Ultimately you have to ask yourself this question: Where is the standard and how do I exceed it.

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

I think tonight at work I'll also chat with our wine rep, who knows people in probably 80% of the restaurants in Columbus.  Perhaps he knows this guy, too.

The wine reps have the braodest grapevine with the deepest roots. I always hit those guys up for info on what's going on around town, since they always know. Ask him/her to keep their ear to the ground for you in case this one position doesn't work out (although, I hope it does. Sounds like a great opportunity for you! :smile: ), and get their card so you can check back with them as well.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The wine reps have the braodest grapevine

:biggrin:

Pan:

I didn't even realize the pun! Sometimes I scare myself...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

You know where the place is. Do you think the Chef or Owner is on the premises now?. Stop by it and show them your face, so they can atach it to a name. Tell them you happen to drive by (truthfully) and say you want save them a call at such busy times.

Make sure to bring a very brief, one page resume, neatly typed, and ask if they would be kind enough to read at their convenience.

Good Luck !!

Peter

I still hadn't heard back, so I called around 5:30pm today (well, they're not open, so it's not like that was mid-service or anything). Didn't get a hold of the chef, but I left a message with a live person.

The chef called me back about an hour later and asked me to come by on Thursday afternoon and bring my personal information with me so I can fill out some paperwork (they're running background checks on everyone, which is cool with me). I'm not sure this means I have the job, but I'm thinking it seems likely, no? :smile:

Jennie

The chef called me back about an hour later and asked me to come by on Thursday afternoon and bring my personal information with me so I can fill out some paperwork (they're running background checks on everyone, which is cool with me).  I'm not sure this means I have the job, but I'm thinking it seems likely, no?  :smile:

Very Good sign.

Depending on the depth of their checking, that sets them back $50 to $200. Sounds like you're past the first few hurdles.

Good luck

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Excellent. Be well-prepared (that means, BRING A PEN to fill out the paperwork). And don't feel bad if he has no idea who you are when you show up, even though he told you to come. He told you to is all that matters.

Now, if you want to list any of us for recommendations, the fee is really very small for a glowing report . . . and not at all exhorbitant for "walks on water." :raz:

No, really, best of luck. :biggrin:

Obviously, it was important for you to call. Who knows whether you would have ever gotten a call otherwise, but you now know what to do and when. Please keep us apprised of your progress.

Michael aka "Pan"

And again the same question. I went in last Thursday, spoke with the chef briefly, and filled out background check paperwork. He said all the applicants were either people he'd love to hire or people he wouldn't even want to talk to again, and I assumed the fact that I went back in put me in category A. We also discussed that it'll be a great kitchen to work in, etc.

At the end of the interview, he said he'd be calling early this week to discuss start dates and pay information. As of now (Wednesday evening) I haven't heard back. Should I call again next Monday and ask? Or should I just let this one go? I'd really kind of pinned my hopes on it.

Thanks for all the advice, eGulleteers.

Jennie

OK, nevermind! I just checked my answering machine at home (previously he's called my cell phone) and the chef called to say orientation starts on July 7, and can I be there. Of course, I called back, but he's gone by this time, so I will call again tomorrow to find out the details.

Well! Now I can just start working on my nerves, right? :biggrin:

Jennie

Well!  Now I can just start working on my nerves, right?  :biggrin:

Just show up with a good attitude and dig in to get the job done.

Attitude is 70% of the game, hard work is the other 30%

rancho gordo