• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

J. Lohr

awbrig

This wine is awesome and for $14 a steal...Craig, have you tried their wine?

Sorry - not in many years (decades? :huh: ) I remember them as regular, middle-of-the-road California wines with the usual funky reds common in that area at the time.

What wine did you have?

when i first started getting into wine ... uh, never mind how long ago ... their riesling was one of my tasting group's default party whites. and once when i was a judge at the la county fair wine competition ... (see above) ... their gamay was voted best wine ... i think it's now called valdigue. i haven't tasted any of their more "serious" reds in quite a while, but these others offer really remarkable value.

21 years ago, I was the sommelier at Hugo's at the Grand Hyatt on Capitol Hill in DC. The Hyatt Hotel Corporation had a contract with J.Lohr to produce all their house wines, worldwide. I could open 3 bottles of "house wine" in a row and taste a different varietal each time. Riesling, Columbard and Chenin Blanc seemed to be the predominant grapes. They sold for $12 a bottle, which was roughly 5 times cost. Needless to say, I didn't sell a whole lot of Montrachet when I worked there.

Mark