• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marcona Almonds

jhlurie

Just noticed today that Whole Foods has started to carry Marcona (Spanish) Almonds, in Olive Oil. I've never had them before, but man are they good. California almonds seem totally tasteless next to them.

At $10 a pound I'm not going to be buying the store out, but I'll be sure to keep some on hand for an occasional snack from now on (as a comparison to Whole Foods price, this site charges $4.25 for 4 oz.) These guys appear to be Whole Foods source for the almonds, by the way.

Anyone else ever see these? Outside of Spain or a restaurant kitchen, I mean.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

The deli near my place sells them between the cheese and olive counters, but dry. I mean they're a little on the greasy side (in a good way) but certainly not in olive oil. Does that make them more or less snackable? Besides the mess, would that mean eating fewer of them before hitting saturation? Or is it like sardines and various other things in oil in a can?

The Spanish refer to marconas as the "Queen" of almonds, hence the hefty price. They are very expensive even in Spain, and they don't stay fresh for very long. I think 10 dollars a pound is a good price . I just checked and it's the same price at the Spanish Table based in Seattle. www.tablespan.com

Try them slowly toasted with a drop of olive oil in a skillet until golden, then salt to taste.

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

I think they are pretty good although I like those salted roasted almonds the best...

The Marconas I have are salted, as well as in that Olive Oil base. It doesn't say so on the package, but the website I linked to before (I know these are the same nuts because they are labeled "Mitica" and "Distributed by Forever Cheese") says that they are FRIED. It tastes like they are roasted to me (especially since the color of the nuts isn't all that dark), but that doesn't seem to be an option.

From Forever Cheese's website:

Marcona Almonds raw / peeled 1/5kg. tub.

Marcona Almonds fried / salted 1/5kg. tub.

Marcona Almonds in Rosemary Honey - 16/ 4.6 oz. raw, peeled Marcona almonds in delicious rosemary honey.

Mixed Nuts in Lavender Honey - 9/13.5 oz. - Marcona almonds, hazelnuts and walnut halves in wild lavender honey.

Except for the portion size (Whole Foods was selling them at a greater variety of weights), I'm definitely sitting here eating the second option on that list (I would have at least liked to try the raw ones, but they weren't there)

toasted with a drop of olive oil in a skillet until golden

That's approximately what I think was done with these. That would be "fried", I guess.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Arent these almonds more on the whiter side?

Anyway I was at Whole Foods today getting my Eastside Cafe Pizza but I will go back tomorrow and get those nuts.  Thanks for the tip!

No... golden would describe them well. The only reason I had trouble believing they might be fried is that the color is so consistant. I'd think even some kind of mass- industrial frying would leave a darker patch or two.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

are they overly greasy?  how much did you buy?  are they good with beer? :smile:

1.) It's olive oil grease. In other words I don't mind as long as I've got plenty of napkins. So "yes" they aren't a clean food, but "no" (at least to me) they aren't "greasy" in the same unpleasant way that a crappy slice of pizza is when a big orange streak runs down the cheese onto your shirt.

2.) Only .59 lbs. I need more I think.

3.) Haven't broken out the beer yet.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Toasting in the oven tends to dry them out; frying in oil makes them greasy. I think it is best to slowly "toast" them in a dry skillet with just a drop of oil.

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

i've tried these several times and i have to say that i prefer my standby trader joe's roasted and salted, which i warm in a skillet before serving with a bit of olive oil. could be the one's i've been getting have been rancid--though not overly obviously.