• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deep frying prime rib

sabg

the dinner is not for 2 weeks...i am going take some pics and hopefully teach myself how to get them onto egullet..i make a big prime rib 4 or 5 times a year and love the garlicky herb crust on top...i will miss that but hope to make up for in a deep fry crunch...i was thinking about injecting it

I deep fry turkey's at T-day and other times of the year. I've also done chickens which are wonderful and hope to try the prime rib as well.

As to the oil, I've found it at Home Depot and at Costco. It isn't cheap but not too bad but definitely strain it and save it to use again.

As for cooking anything this way, I think the outside deep frying units are a must. They aren't pricey but you just need to have some space. Safety wise, make sure you have room though and wear long sleeves, goggles and gloves. I typically for cooking or barbecue use welding gloves (an AB rec.)

I've done turkey in most ways from smoking (27 hours) to deep fry and all inbetween. Deep fried is liked the best. I can only think that prime rib will come out terrific. Being that we are almost to T-day you shouldn't have a problem finding the peanut oil in the large containers.

One other suggestion is I'd suggest doing a dry run in water to see how much oil you'll need to make sure you have enough, but not too much.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo