• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deep frying prime rib

sabg

:cool: i bot a deep fryer a few years back and LOVE it, turkey, duck, chicken etc. i remember when i bot it there was a recipe for deep fried prime rib along with many commentaries that once you have it deep fried you won't want it any other way. i can't find the recipe , timing or anything about it. anybody ??

I'm guessing that the recipe isn't listed on the American Heart Association web site.

EDIT: Here's one

http://www.bbqguide.com/deep_fried_prime_rib.htm

and another

http://www.culinarycafe.com/Holiday_Favori..._Prime_Rib.html

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Egad.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Never tried it.

I guess if people enjoy deep fried oreos, though, prime rib would be a suitable replacement.

click this for a big ass hunk o deep fried prime rib - recipe, that is

edit: no, I'm not an idiot - threads were merged and Perlow's post was NOT there when I replied

Edited by sladeums (log)

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

There is a restaurant in Mexico City (Arroyo, I think) where they do legs of lamb in agave leaves in big pits and have these huge vats of fat. They fry up huge pieces of pork skins (chicharones sp?) and... PORK ROASTS! They are great! Like all good frying, not greasy at all. Think a well fried turkey. I don't see why prime rib wouldn't be fabulous.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Prime rib needs a good seared crust. The inside should be very rare.

Here's what I do: Preheat the oven to 550 F for an hour. Rub the prime with EVOO and lard it with red wine soaked garlic cloves and lardons. Much salt and pepper. Bung in screaming oven, about seven minutes. Turn off oven, leave guy in there about five to seven minutes per rib (less per more and taking into account often three to five roasts). Perfect.

Peanut oil? A deep fryer? Mebbe. But I cannot foresee this thing happening to me.*

-------

*For the kids:

Reference to "Paint It Black", Rolling Stones

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

I'm sorry, how could any one do this to a perfectly good prime rib :blink:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Well, they were all the same recipe, just posted on a couple of different sites.

Sounds like the kind of thing Leonard's of Great Neck would do (sans marinating in spices) when they miscalculated on a bar mitzvah.

But dare I say, it doesn't sound that much stranger to me than Deep Fried Turkey? And lord knows, you'd get one hell of a crust. Not that I'm about to try it. But . . .

Being a veteran of that fried pork roast, I am dying to try it.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Hopefully... never. FRY EVERYTHING! FRY IN LARD!

Did you know that the fried turkey actually originated with the Gulf Coast Indians? They fried turkeys, ducks, geese, etc. in bear fat.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

:laugh:

Noooooo... I mean the REAL indigenes. This is a true story, well estabilished by cultural anthropoligists.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

• 1 year later...

after talking about it for a year...i am finally doing it...going to deep fry a prime rib...i have read i MUST use peanut oil. i need a lot. any ideas where i can large quanity. even costco had smallish bottles

How much is a lot? You can buy 5-gallon jugs at many camping stores for use in outdoor deep fryers (Dick's and places like that, I might have seen something similar at Wal-Mart, but I can't remember).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Ditto the sporting goods stores that sell the deep fryers for turkeys. But I would check with Wal-Mart, Sam's etc. as they might get it in as a seasonal thing. We buy these 5 gallon "jugs in a box" kind of like cheap wine. (Been known to buy that, too. In sangria, who can tell. :raz: )

edit to add: Don't assume that you have to throw it out. We have saved well browned peanut oil from one year's turkey frying marathon to the next year's. It was delicious. It was well strained, put back into the original jug and kept in the house (cool) in a dark cupboard.

I do hope you have read the safety issues with doing large quantities of oil and big chunks of meat. I can't find it now, but I will see if I can find the turkey frying thread from last year where I addressed the safety issues. As usual, the eGullet community offered additional valuable advice.

Edited by fifi (log)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

The search gods must be with me... I found the turkey thread here.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

After reading that other thread I really want to fry a Turkey this thanksgiving. I may try deep frying a brisket or a loin too while I am at it and while the oil is hot and all.

One of the nice things about going to Thanksgiving at my parents place is that they basically write a blank check for any ingredients/equipment as long as they don't have to do the cooking ;).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Uh...

How did it go?

:huh:

After reading that other thread I really want to fry a Turkey this thanksgiving.  I may try deep frying a brisket or a loin too while I am at it and while the oil is hot and all.

There is a restaurant in Mexico City, Arroya I think, that has these vats of lard where they do the chicharones. They also deep fry pork roasts. It is WONDERFUL. The next time we fry turkeys, I am going to do a pork roast, but I will do a chunk of shoulder.

Now I am really curious about brisket. Brisket usually needs a long slow cook to convert all of the connective tissue to gelatin to make it tender. I am not so sure about deep frying it. But I could be wrong.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"