• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

enfrijoladas

A month ago I made these for a party and no one had ever heard of them. They're a great side dish to serve with your grilled meat. They basically are enchiladas but instead of a chile sauce you coat the tortillas in a bean sauce.

Here's my recipe.

Cook your favorite beans (black, pinto, whatever) and puree them. They should be the consistency of heavy cream. Fry a tortilla in oil about 10 seconds per side, dunk them in the beans, stuff them with grated cheese or shredded chicken or sauteed vegetables or.... Roll the tortilla up and place in a baking dish. Repeat until the baking dish is full. Bake at 350 until warm and garnish with crema.

If anyone wants more specific directions I'll add the recipe to the eGra.

Just don't bake too long!

Depending on your tortillas they can go to mush really quickly.

I like to just put them in a warmed baking dish.

Quicker you get 'em to table the better.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

• 2 weeks later...
If anyone wants more specific directions I'll add the recipe to the eGra.

Please add it with or without more specific directions. :smile:

Yes, please! Any and all guajolote recipes wanted.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Here in Chicago at a small Oaxacan restaurant with a very gifted cook, I had chilaquiles enfrijoladas. They were very good, lots of epazote in the beans.

And, annieb, welcome to eGullet! Please feel free to join us Chicago eGulls on any or all of our outings and innings; we'd love to meet you.

Do you remember the name of the restaurant?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

i ate lots of entomatadas and enfrijoladas in oaxaca--this is comida corrida, for sure. instead of being baked, the bean-dipped tortillas were folded into triangles and layered on the plate, topped with crumbled requeson and sliced onion, served very warm.

flash-frying the tortillas in hot oil should prevent them from getting too mushy.

I agree that these are best served right away warm, but sometimes I'm too busy and need to prepare ahead, and the baking to reheat works pretty well. I really like the folding into triangles idea. Frying the tortillas is a must, and I prefer to use stale tortillas.

I've never had entomatadas, but by looking at the name I think I can make a decent version.