• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gordon Ramsay demands drugs tests

I was reading this thread and enjoying it until I came across the link to the May 4 article about Dempsey. A cat burglar? What? Fell through an open window after a confrontation? What? A professional chef on the rise suddenly resorts to cat burglary? Something does not make sense...it does not even make drug sense. If he had been caught stealing from the restaurant or even his neighbors, that would make drug sense. But cat burglary? Apparently, without the toxicology results, based on "eye witness" testimony (from whomevers apartment he "fell" out of, perhaps?), Ramsey has determined he was abusing drugs. What? This is odd.

I hope all the assumptions are based on more information than that article supplies.

Lobster.

really, this is just as effective as Fat guy's post about the LML and CWS  fight...

but . beans, you are nearly as tiresome as CWS. Get a real life. You are nearly a grown up.

I, too, am fat & glad to be favorably compared (or derided) with Steven.

and abbey, really,  do you feel the litle smiley drnkers you post ? Are you over 21? WHY  won';t  egulleters of a certain age just BE eguleters of a certain aaaggghh. forget it I loose.

Wha?, Yes & I dunno.

but . beans, you are nearly as tiresome as CWS. Get a real life. You are nearly a grown up.

What the Fuck? Who should get a real life? Kim, you ain't had a few too many have you?

Yes, I did have a few too many and I apologize. I am as guilty of intolerance as everyone else. I was out of line and my comments were inappropriate.

I personaloize this issue too much, which is why I should have bowed out long ago.

Beans and Abby, please consider this a sincere apology. I made personal attacks that were unwarranted and undeserved. I would edit the post,, but its already been repeated.

I think I have requested keyboards get breathalyzers? :wacko:

IrishCream, I found that article while doing a search to find out a little more about all this. It does seem to put things in a different light, especially since it was written May 8 (4 days after Dempsey's death), well before the article that started this thread which was written on June 11. Note also that the May 8 article was from the BBC, while the June 11 article came from a place devoted to wine.

Here are links to both articles in case someone missed them.

Decanter - June 11 (The article that started all this.)

BBC - May 8

• 3 weeks later...

During this long thread, somewhere along the line it was revealed that results on the autopsy (drug testing) of David Dempsey were to be released in early July. I just did a search and couldn't find anything. Since this got to be such a hot topic at the time, does anyone else have any news?

Huge drag :sad:

Very sad to read.

No matter how much "fun" anyone thinks this drug is ( and I had a considerable amount of 'fun' at one point of my life with this stuff), it's no good.

2317/5000

• 2 months later...

How Sad.

Pity the industry is so rife with this sort of thing.

At a very famous south london restaurant, I made a complaint about the service from the very gregarious, wide boy sommelier. 3 - 4 years ago. The point was, he was coked off his tits, and it was very easy to tell. When addressing this complaint to the floor manager at the end of the night (not the chef), it was treated as a bit of a giggle. Like some sort of in joke, tee hee, we don't do that sort of thing.

which I have always thought illustrated how prevalent this sort of thing is. Regrettably it has a claimed a high profile victim, wonder how many others also, who weren't worthy of news attention?

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

• 6 months later...

Someone here mentioned damage to the palate from smoking. Uh, I don't smoke, but lately I have been sensing that my nose is losing its, uh, as the french say, I don't know what. Of course I don't know if it is affecting my judgement, but I'm scared!

What the hell is wrong with me? Please, help!

Edited by carp (log)