• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gordon Ramsay demands drugs tests

I find it rather interesting that you stay away from eGullet for weeks, or days as the case may be--I'm not rabidly hunting down your posts like you with me so I wouldn't know, then you focus in on my depravities like some policing element and overlook the rest of the worthwhile and intellectually stimulating entries contained herein.   LML, there's a whole thread here of fine points, good arguements and troubling statistics.  Why don't you hone your tremendous yearning for superiority in on the posters who give a fuck.  Because I sir, only feed off your petty and selective desire to make me feel small.

Chef/Writer, you may believe your life to be fascinating, and no doubt it is... to you. Nevertheless, it doesn't necessarily follow that your highly stylized raconteuring is of primary interest to anyone else. Indeed, on the rare occasions that I can understand what you're saying, I find your contiributions to be frequently irrelevant, and alarmingly dull.

Edited by Lord Michael Lewis (log)

It could well be time to give this thread a rest until there are further developments printed in the press.

We could keep it going just for the purpose of watching LML and Spencer fight, though.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Hey pal, just like you THINK your posts matter I KNOW mine do--that's not necessarily a point in my favor since the overwhelming sentiment I receive VIA PM is negative but there are some troubled folks out there that can identify with the realities of which I speak. I'm not going to sit here and get embroiled in a pissing contest with you though, however savory and satisfying the prospect may be. If I've made you itch, squirm in that uncomfortable chair that you occupy so readily, then I think my work here is a fait au complet. Over and out there fruitcake. Captain Romaine.

It could well be time to give this thread a rest until there are further developments printed in the press.

We could keep it going just for the purpose of watching LML and Spencer fight, though.

Uh, thanks for that helpful addition to the thread Fat Guy. Obviously the UK board is simply here for your viewing pleasure, anything we can do to keep you entertained.

Well, that and any acoustically performed version of  "Cocaine" would probably suck.  :laugh:

If you can find it, give a listen to Dave Van Ronk singing it and playing acoustic. In fact, listen to about anything he did. He was a good dude.

"Cocaine" was (is) a good song. Good to play and good to listen to. Same for "Spoonful" (Willy Dixon) sung by Howling Wolf.

Just because someone's singing about a drug doesn't mean they're on it. Cocaine's a good song, but it's about the most worthless drug out there. Never had any use for it. Leaves you worse off than smack or meth would ever do.

Well, that and any acoustically performed version of  "Cocaine" would probably suck.  :laugh:

If you can find it, give a listen to Dave Van Ronk singing it and playing acoustic. In fact, listen to about anything he did. He was a good dude.

I much prefer the baroque-instruments version of Electric Light Orchestra's "Don't bring me down" with the Academy of St Martin in the Fields conducted by Neville Marriner and a haunting pan-flute solo by Zamfir. :wacko:

--

I'm not going to sit here and get embroiled in a pissing contest with you though

You don't know how glad I am to hear that. I will be holding you to your promise.

Not worth my time.

Indeed, time much better spent harping on endlessly in your invented language about your Bourdainesque existence.

Even if that's meant to be funny (which it isn't) I find the thought a sad reflection on eGullet.

Edited by macrosan (log)

I think if someone is actually drinking on the job, the employer is entitled to shoot them out of a cannon. But I'm not sure. Of course, I'm limiting this to the facts you present.

Glad you qualified that! I work in a job that I'm expected to throw a party for all that enter into bar and yes that does entail drinking on the job. *hiccup*

LML: Ou, ou, OUCH. What substantive material would be left if the snipe were surgically removed, with the utmost precision, from your recent posts! Can I dare say it is becoming tiresome? :hmmm:

*hiccup*

Oh, yeah, I'm supposed to be counting out my drawer. *hiccup*

Okay, other than the above, I have been following this thread as there hasn't been one restaurant I've worked for wherein these issues were not present. The drugs, the slackers, the boozers, the moral disapproving sneer of those from the high ground, the zero tolerance, the subjective sliding scale tolerance. It could go on and on. But I'm wondering where this idea of the employer is responsible for an employee's well being and attempting to save them from themselves. (the tonyfinch writings) Where is that common place? Not where I've resided and worked. The 'Dude you have a problem and now after several noted office discussions, it's time for you to go. Good luck' is more the reality from my personal observations in my employment experience.

I'm not going to sit here and get embroiled in a pissing contest with you though

You don't know how glad I am to hear that. I will be holding you to your promise.

Not worth my time.

Indeed, time much better spent harping on endlessly in your invented language about your Bourdainesque existence.

The weather's lovely here...how's the weather there in England? Is it raining. It rained a lot last week but today were all good. Have a good one Lord.

I agree with Tommy...mark this day down.

Macrosan, it's gonna be ok. Cheer up. The day I'm considered anything more than a crank will be the day you know the end has come. Fat Guy, knowing this, is just egging on an interesting interplay that for sure would yield some good one liners. If you're interested in seeing how far Fat Guy is willing to go towards ACTUALLY cementing his place in the pantheon of anger driven purple prose may I direct you to the Fight Club thread--a beautiful display of powertripping filth if there ever was one.

Mr. Lynes I will defer to your authority here and respect that you will not tolerate the abuses of my keyboard any furthur. Unless someone calls my dear departed mother a c*** I'm signing off on this thread. Thanks.

That was a pucker edit...Thank you sir...

Edited by Chef/Writer Spencer (log)

the moral disapproving sneer of those from the high ground,

That line bothers me for some reason.

Why is it looked upon as a snobby, snooty, "I'm better than you" attitude if you think people screwing themselves up is, kind of screwed up?

Case in point.

Last Saturday nite, Mr. 'One Toke' on the line (see earlier post on this mother of all threads), the guy who hit a one shot pipe on the line during prep, in front of the chef, got himself arrested, for being an ass, this time to cops, and is warming up a cell, in jail.

Seems as though he had a number of outstanding bench warrants for stupid stuff, and his bail is so high he's probably going to have to sit there until sometime in August, when his trail is scheduled.

This guy is a good cook, very creative, and can be extremely charming but, he has been a screwup ever since I've known him, which been for almost 3 years. His shenanigans probably cost one chef I know, one of his gigs, because he tirelessly came to his rescue, keeping him from being banned from a place we all worked in, which was located in a 'High Security' type of operation.

If somebody would have KICKED his ass, gave him a suspension of a couple of weeks a few times, maybe even a week ago, when he lit up in there, maybe he wouldn't be in jail.

But this 'fuck it, it's his life', thing, has helped him perpetuate his bad boy thing till he wound up in the clink.

My point about any kind of substance abuse on the job is, and always will be, this...

If any of us go to work, smelling of beer or booze, chances are we will either get asked to leave or at least be told not to show up like that again or else.

But if somebody comes in red eyed from smoking weed or even reeking of it, it's not cool to say anything to them.

There's no difference between the two.

I used to argue about this to recording engineers all the time. No smoking while we're working. If the band wants to, fine. It's their place. Not us.

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000

I think if someone is actually drinking on the job, the employer is entitled to shoot them out of a cannon. But I'm not sure. Of course, I'm limiting this to the facts you present.

Glad you qualified that! I work in a job that I'm expected to throw a party for all that enter into bar and yes that does entail drinking on the job. *hiccup*

food-smiley-004.gif

the moral disapproving sneer of those from the high ground,

That line bothers me for some reason.

Why is it looked upon as a snobby, snooty, "I'm better than you" attitude if you think people screwing themselves up is, kind of screwed up?

The current situation, I am speaking of a particular upstairs office witch accountant for the restaurant wherein I am employed. She is a snoot. She is a snob. She casts this distain for anyone that even as much as enjoys a cocktail or smokes a cigarette, much in the same that she will sneer at the owner's newest 20 year old newbie hostess girlfriend.... She lives to dole out her holier than thou commentary. She dangerously speculates that all of the heart of the house are on crack, all of the bartenders are lushes and theives and that the servers are stupid. She is always busy with a resentful almost hateful filled day of toil with her calculator, mechanical pencil and gigantic checkbook.

Regarding the "maybe he wouldn't be in jail" end of the topic -- I've been the ass kicker. Having a childhood friend I consider my brother and close family that is chemically dependent -- I've learned by watching his self destructive tendancies, the numerous arrests, several failed attempts of rehab. Can't help someone that doesn't want it or thinks they need it. Now we let him sit in the clink. If supportive family and friends can't help him, certainly no employer can succeed to change his habits.

I can no longer beat myself up emotionally thinking I could have curtailed the resulting consequences to his escapades. I believe in personal accountability.

edit: sloppy proofreading. bleh.

Edited by beans (log)

food-smiley-004.gif

really, this is just as effective as Fat guy's post about the LML and CWS fight...

but . beans, you are nearly as tiresome as CWS. Get a real life. You are nearly a grown up. and abbey, really, do you feel the litle smiley drnkers you post ? Are you over 21? WHY won';t egulleters of a certain age just BE eguleters of a certain aaaggghh. forget it I loose.

food-smiley-004.gif

really, this is just as effective as Fat guy's post about the LML and CWS fight...

but . beans, you are nearly as tiresome as CWS. Get a real life. You are nearly a grown up. and abbey, really, do you feel the litle smiley drnkers you post ? Are you over 21? WHY won';t egulleters of a certain age just BE eguleters of a certain aaaggghh. forget it I loose.

Huh? :blink:

As for the comment on being as tiresome as CWS, thanks for such high praises! :blush:

Babe, my rock star bartender life is quite real. So was the part about drinking on the job. I'm paid and expected to do just that. This is really work? I'm throwing a kick ass party, expertly concocting some damn good tasting and aesthetically gorgeous cocktails, chatting with my friends and being paid HUGE amounts of money! Hmmm. Why did I ever want to be a corporate, soul sucking leech of an ambulance chaser, oops I mean lawyer, and attend Michigan? Gee, it's been 8 years/9 seasons of this life and the satisfaction and fun hasn't faded...nor have I crossed the balancing act line and earned myself a DUI. That's what cabs are for. Yes, I guess I am personally accountable. Is that indicative of being a "grown up"?

Not so sure I was able to respect myself during those days I awoke each and every morning and I donned the navy blue wool gabardine suit with italian pumps, Coach briefcase and headed into work knowing I will be the sorry grunt to dig up supporting case law to what newest poop pile our client stepped into.... I likened those days to being a conservatively well dressed prostitute -- I was paid hourly (at least our fee bill broke that down for our client) to do as the client asked, and at times contrary to what society may deem as ethical or moral.

Yikes, look, now I'm ranting. Boak.

Thanks Kim.

Beans, are you by any chance Bourdain's sister?  :biggrin:

It seems to me that you're all Bourdain wannabees. Whether you're Bourdain everbees I leave for others to judge (not having read Bourdain-sorry Tone) :huh:

Edited by Tonyfinch (log)

It seems to me that you're all Bourdain wannabes.

Tonyfinch and Nickn:

Nope. Nope. Sorry Anthony Bourdain, I wasn't aware of your existence until this year while watching FN. (yes shame on me -- booo!) I was already seven years into sweating my ass off serving up spiritous liquids; sending our barbacks out to the bar two doors away at last call to purchase a few beer cases togo and to setup a borrowed lexan of ice until we were all through with counting out our drawers; have some good laughs with my cohorts; snoozing until noon, taking my boat out for a few rays of sun and relaxation and then promptly off to work to do it all over again. Eight Summers of the same schedule (when I wasn't on doubles).

The wannabe theory doesn't work. I now know his words very well as I felt they were hauntingly similar to many of the crazy experiences I've had or observed after leaving corporate life behind.

Speaking of afterhours....damn I've got to run!