• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gordon Ramsay demands drugs tests

Restaurant professionals turn to drugs primarily because they lead stressful lives. Chef Dempsey is a perfect example of that. I have done numerous events with Gordon and can tell you first hand, he is one of the most ruthless idividuals I have ever met is this profession. Im not saying he isnt talented, he also has tons of drive. I dont like posting anything negative about chefs, but one must ask the question.......what were Dempsey's his working conditions like? Deplorable at best.

There is a reason why Gordon's entire staff has walked out on him once already. It seems that problem still has not been resolved.

Edited by inventolux (log)

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

Restaurant professionals turn to drugs primarily because they lead stressful lives. Chef Dempsey is a perfect example of that. I have done numerous events with Gordon and can tell you first hand, he is one of the most ruthless idividuals I have ever met is this profession. Im not saying he isnt talented, he also has tons of drive. I dont like posting anything negative about chefs, but one must ask the question.......what were Dempsey's his working conditions like? Deplorable at best.

There is a reason why Gordon's entire staff has walked out on him once already. It seems that problem still has not been resolved.

oh, puleeze...that's the oldest excuse in the book. No one MAKES anyone take drugs..this guy could have bought a heavy bag, watched game shows..there are lots of ways to handle stress besides using drugs.

I have empathy for anyone who is addicted to drugs, alcohol, food, sex, whatever...but no one is helped if we don't acknowledge personal responsibility and choice.

Such tests are growing more popular in all area of business. With Ramsay's operation being so high profile (and lucrative) it is not surprising that this has happened, regardless of the sad event of David Dempsey's death.

This is not to say I approve, I think these tests are an infingement of privacy, and sign of the growing control work has on people's lives.

On top of the stress, it must be difficult for young chefs, who have to work at the times most people consider as leisure time to find release from their working environment.

I am concerned by the policy, it sounds like he is to simply dismiss anyone with a positive result, rather than offer support. I know it is a business, not a charity , but I am sure a more compassionate approach would prove more valuable in the long term - the investment made in staff I am sure is considerable in Ramsay's kitchens, as well as helping the industry in general.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

You know what this is? [Visual -- fingers rubbing together.] It's the worlds smallest violin playing just for all the poor souls who have had to work with the bad Chef Dempsey. Boo fucking hoo. Oh the stress that someone's Ahi Tuna may be seared unevenly. Or perhaps his mayo may break, sending him into into the corner weeping. Jeepers, the excuses we make for our frailty.

But, as Carlovski points out, if cooks aren't smoking crack and doing herion, how can we know that they're really, really cool?

Edited by Stone (log)

Its too easy to blame the victim. Ignoring the problem never solves anything. Look at sars.

"A tiny voilin playing"too loudly, perhaps.

One cannot ignore the facts:

The three professions with the highest drug abuse rate:

Chefs

Doctors

Lawyers

Are there any professionals in these areas reading this post that would care to comment from experience and not baseless commentary?

www.motorestaurant.com

You're right. Let's blame Chef Dempsey. And I'll blame the fact that I'm overweight on my clients because those bastards have retained me to help them in some serious legal battles. That must be why I eat too much and don't exercise.

Hmm, I wonder why Jerry Garcia spent most of his life addicted to herion?

Here is one of the many resons why unions are popping up all over the place. If some parameters were in place for testing before the death, its likely Dempsey would still be with us. Now I believe unions breed a lot of lazy people in the restaurant business, but its better than having a slave labor trade.

Edited by inventolux (log)

www.motorestaurant.com

Its too easy to blame the victim. Ignoring the problem never solves anything. Look at sars.

"A tiny voilin playing"too loudly, perhaps.

Chefs

Doctors

Lawyers

Are there any professionals in these areas reading this post that would care to comment from experience and not baseless commentary?

Rock stars and TV people, don't make the top 3?

Chefs

Doctors

Lawyers

Where did you get these facts from? Every landscaper I know is high all the time. :laugh:

this guy could have bought a heavy bag, watched game shows...

Wait . . . a "heavy bag" of what?

Doesn't that usually lead to the watching of game shows?

Noise is music. All else is food.

Good idea but good luck on this.

Drugs are the most damaging thing, alongside of alcohol, in the kitchen .

I saw a cook take a hit off a lil pipe prepping for tonights service!

If I was the chef I would have thrown his ass out the door, on the spot.

I couldn't believe it.

2317/5000

Good idea but good luck on this.

Drugs are the most damaging thing, alongside of alcohol, in the kitchen .

I saw a cook take a hit off a lil pipe prepping for tonights service!

If I was the chef I would have thrown his ass out the door, on the spot.

I couldn't believe it.

The chef was probably doing the same thing. My pipe says "Fuck You, This is my pipe"on it. Keep it in my car.

I worked with a chef who would take speed on a regular basis, prior to him getting through his mise.Then smoke after service to calm down.Scariest shit i have ever seen..the man's soul was dead, his eyes fucked.Put me off that shit for the longest time.This was at a hotel, and the live in staff accommodation was called "Acid Block"...some great times and some really awfull times

There is a reason why Gordon's entire staff has walked out on him once already.

When was this? When Ramsay left Aubergine and A-Z restaurants, its my understanding that most, if not all of his staff went with him to Royal Hospital Road. The same is true I believe of Marcus Wareing's staff at L'Oranger when he walked out followed him to Petrus. The impression I have got from reading about Ramsay is that his people are incredibly loyal to him.

.......what were Dempsey's his working conditions like? Deplorable at best.

Head chef at Amyrilis, cooking One Star food for what, 40 or 50 people a night, maybe 70 a day? Paid £70k to do it? Hardly deplorable.

But, as Carlovski points out, if cooks aren't smoking crack and doing herion, how can we know that they're really, really cool?

Don't think that was quite what I said!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

There is a reason why Gordon's entire staff has walked out on him once already.

When was this? When Ramsay left Aubergine and A-Z restaurants, its my understanding that most, if not all of his staff went with him to Royal Hospital Road. The same is true I believe of Marcus Wareing's staff at L'Oranger when he walked out followed him to Petrus. The impression I have got from reading about Ramsay is that his people are incredibly loyal to him.

You're right, Andy.

They're wrong.

2317/5000