• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

That "what to stock your pantry with" topic

KateW

Kate, you probably know this already so apologies if I'm saying something redundant, but try to get at least one kind of EVOO. For me, the default type is Italian, but sometimes I'll go out on a limb and get Greek (which to me, has a more full-bodied and deeper flavor profile than Italian).

My preferences (in order of rank); yours and others may vary:

1. Italian

2. Greek

3. Spanish

4. Domestic American

Soba

I'm in New Bedford Massachusetts.  This is near the cape and Rhode Island.  There is a wonderful produce and specialty food store called Sid Wainer and Son around here somewhere, but I don't know how to get there yet ;)  I've been at Johnson and Wales in RI since September and moved in with my boyfriend last month.  So I'm pretty new around here.

Kate:

You live in New Behfah, not New Bedford. Since it's a tad difficult to give you directions when I don't know where you live I suggest you try this to get to Sid Wainer. Take I-195 (that's the road you took when you came from Providence) to either the Ashley Blvd or Acushnet Ave (Route 18) North exit. Proceed North on one of these streets to Bullard St. Hang a left on Bullard and follow it to Purchase St. The store is at 2301 Purchase St. which should be near the intersection. I know nothing about the store except where it is and I haven't been near Buzzards Bay since Christ was a child, so good luck.

As for what you should put in your pantry, what do you like to make?

Ah yes good old New Behfah. Your directions sound excellent. Thanks! I am near 140--perhaps you can refresh my memory on how to get to 195 from there?

As for what I like to cook--I never get tired of pasta, boneless chicken breasts, steak if it's good, chili, and soups... That's just the tip of the iceberg. Maybe it's better to ask what I *don't* like--hmm, that's a pretty short list, so maybe not. I'm willing to try anything, but I guess I'm looking for more exotic dishes--Indian, Chinese, stuff like that. Stuff I can do, but lack the authentic ingredients.

Ah yes good old New Behfah.  Your directions sound excellent.  Thanks!  I am near 140--perhaps you can refresh my memory on how to get to 195 from there?

Hmmm...I believe that Route 140 and I-195 intersect. But I can't tell you which direction to go in on 140 to get to 195.

• 19 years later...

Our similarly dedicated room is roughly 10 x 12, 10 foot ceilings.    It was a breakfast room until recently when we moved the freezer up form the basement, as well as backstock groceries.    Plus a cookbook wall.    Small immediate wine storage.    Small cupboard of surplus china.    And my exercise bike.  

it cost us nothing.    A three shelf rack was brought up from the basement for the groceries.    It's not chic but it is totally functional.    And we are the only ones to visit it except for a few envious guests. 

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

6 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Adjustable metal shelving is a must.  Practical, adaptable and easy to clean.

Yes, I have adjustable metal shelving in my bedroom.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, rrigreid said:

Guys,

Due to some remodeling, I now have a room that we can dedicate as a pantry. It'll mostly be food but will also have hygiene stuff, first aid supplies, etc..

It is just off the kitchen and is 11' long and 7-1/2' wide with about 9' ceilings. I know what supplies to store and how to make them last.

But...any tips on the pantry itself? Go with deep shelves? Shallow? Wood, adjustable, etc... Wish you would have put in X or definitely didn't need Y?

Anything you have learned from experience? The internet is mostly full of pinteresty ideas of frilly stuff. I've got a family of 6 I want to be able to take care of, I'm not worried about the latest "in" colors haha.

I
Thanks in advance!

I'm lucky to have a large kitchen with lots of cabinets. Some of the cabinets are very deep, which is great for large pots and pans, but not so convenient for smaller pantry items, which are stored ten deep and gets dark toward the back, so it is really hard to find what I need sometimes. The trade off is that I can store a lot of stuff and keep it out of view. However, I can't find most of the smaller stuff without an archeological excavation. Ideally there would be some deep cabinets for cook and bakeware, and a large wall of shallower storage for other items. Color is the fun part!

At least a decent width of shallow shelves even if they are "normal" depth up to bench height (for excess pots pans etc) but shallow shelves for things like spices and consumables you don't use a lot of but need to still keep. With deep shelves  you just can't see what you've got. The shelves should be somewhat adjustable.

Drawers with smallish fronts so it is easy to see what is in them.  The drawers should have captive slides so you can pull them out all the way without dropping them

I have a drawer full of clear plastic containers with decent air tight lids (square & rectangular not round) for storing things like rice, breadcrumbs, panko breadcrumbs, corn flour, bulk salt, sea salt brown sugar, raw sugar, barley, split peas and all those ingredients i don't use a lot of at one time.

You could reserve some space for bench space but then I tend to use it as storage and it defeats the purpose.☹️

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

Slide-out shelves are wonderful. Not certain how I lived without mine.

If you go with doored cabinets, back of the door shallow shelves are excellent for spices and jarred condiments.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

7 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I'm lucky to have a large kitchen with lots of cabinets. Some of the cabinets are very deep, which is great for large pots and pans, but not so convenient for smaller pantry items, which are stored ten deep and gets dark toward the back, so it is really hard to find what I need sometimes. The trade off is that I can store a lot of stuff and keep it out of view. However, I can't find most of the smaller stuff without an archeological excavation. Ideally there would be some deep cabinets for cook and bakeware, and a large wall of shallower storage for other items. Color is the fun part!

I recently had an epiphany and purchased a set of these for just the same situation.  Works great, now I can see everything in there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2022 at 5:29 PM, rrigreid said:

It is just off the kitchen and is 11' long and 7-1/2' wide with about 9' ceilings. I know what supplies to store and how to make them last.

But...any tips on the pantry itself kuicksy? Go with deep shelves? Shallow? Wood, adjustable, etc... Wish you would have put in X or definitely didn't need Y?

Disclaimer:  I *like* industrial/steampunk design, the following suggestions are not for everyone, but very scalable.  My work is somewhat related to manufacturing efficiencies.   If you have a dedicated storage room, even better.

I have been investigating these types of solutions for pantry/kitchen/supply storage.  The price ranges are all over the place from Amazon cheapish to Grainger $$$$$$.   

editing to say: DEEP SHELVES SUCK!

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 7.34.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 7.33.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 7.31.20 AM.png

Edited by lemniscate (log)

I have a vague memory of pix of @andiesenji's pantry but I have no idea what thread it was in. But she is the queen of space. The pantry looked brilliant. There was another shot of some secret torture chamber of hanging skillets though, that did call into question her ability to get rid of stuff. Oh yeah, and a separate museum room for every toaster I've ever wanted to own.

• Haha 1