• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food words often misused

Fat Guy

Chicken steak. But, I could be wrong here, Bux is there a US city called "Chicken"?

Yep. In Alaska (although "city" is something of an overstatement).

It was named by those insolent folks that lived in the area as a response to the better-known and more nobly-designated Alaska town called "Eagle."

:biggrin:

Or depending on whom you ask, because no one knew how to spell ptarmigan.

Chicken steak. But, I could be wrong here, Bux is there a US city called "Chicken"?

Yep. In Alaska (although "city" is something of an overstatement).

It was named by those insolent folks that lived in the area as a response to the better-known and more nobly-designated Alaska town called "Eagle."

:biggrin:

Or depending on whom you ask, because no one knew how to spell ptarmigan.

:laugh::laugh:

"a slight to the Welsh people who could not afford meat years ago"

The number of slights (and worse)  against the Welsh is a long one-- "welsh" used to be used more or less as a synonym for "deadbeat."

It still is, isn't it?

As in, "you welshed on the deal?"

Noise is music. All else is food.

"a slight to the Welsh people who could not afford meat years ago"

The number of slights (and worse)  against the Welsh is a long one-- "welsh" used to be used more or less as a synonym for "deadbeat."

It still is, isn't it?

As in, "you welshed on the deal?"

No, that's a grape juice thing.

Rachael Ray has her detractors, but her (unintentional) entertainment value is very high.

Oh, yeah... like when she grabs a couple of pieces of chicken and announces, "Now, I've got two good-sized breasts here..." :unsure:

She pulled another one of those half-witticisms the other day; too bad I can't remember it at the moment...

An odd alien wench

Not sure if this counts, but my favorite misused term was in a menu. Someone was obviously familiar enough with Pasta Puttanesca to make a variation of it but didn't know what the name meant.

So they came up with Puttanesca de la Mer :shock: .

"Ask any mermaid you happen to see . . ."

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Not sure if this counts, but my favorite misused term was in a menu. Someone was obviously familiar enough with Pasta Puttanesca to make a variation of it but didn't know what the name meant.

Chad

"sittin' on the dock of the bay..."

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Chad

"sittin' on the dock of the bay..."

...or in Kobenhavn's (DK) harbor

Peter