• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1,000 Indian Recipes

jawbone

Released late 2002. Gets good review blurbs from Madison and Silverton, for what that's worth. Any thoughts from Suvir or others on her and this book?

I have Sahni's Classic and Jaffrey's Invitation and was looking to expand my repertoire and find more recent recipes.

Thanks!

Released late 2002. Gets good review blurbs from Madison and Silverton, for what that's worth. Any thoughts from Suvir or others on her and this book?

Also won 2003 IACP award for International Cookbooks. Unfortunately haven't had a chance to take a look at it (nor, it seems, have many others on this forum), but liked her earlier Chillies to Chutneys quite a lot. Engaging writing style, non-threatening recipes.

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

I must admit shamefully, that I have not gone and bought the book. :shock:

Will do so in the next couple of weeks and share my thoughts.

Monica Bhide, our very own TDG contributor and eGulleteer, has a book out that has charmed many. Have you checked that out yet? It could be a book that would add to your Indian cookbook collection.

The Spice Is Right, is the name, click on the title to learn more about it.

Have you browsed some of the older threads?? We have had several on books on this cuisine, maybe they would help you form a decision you enjoy. I shall find the links and post here.

Thank you for your welcome, Suvir. The Indian Forum is one of my favourite places to lurk.

I have read virtually every thread here on Indian cookbooks but had never seen this book or author discussed and wondered if that signified anything (is she not worth mentioning or did she get inadvertantly overlooked?). The book does look impressive and the IACP counts for something (as does skchai's recommendation of her, thanks) so I might go ahead and buy it. I will, of course, look into Monica's and yours (when it comes out).

The wierdest thing about the book is the third reviewer's blurb on the back. In addition to Madison and Silverton's bits, there are accolades from Michael Jackson (yes, him of the surgically enhanced face). He is described as an AWARD-WINNING ENTERTAINER AND INDIAN FOOD LOVER. How bizarre...

Thanks also for your welcome, Monica.

The sheer quantity of recipes is impressive. I am curious, though, what you mean by "interesting" -- it's one of those words that can cover a multitude of meanings.

Thank you for your welcome, Suvir. The Indian Forum is one of my favourite places to lurk.

I have read virtually every thread here on Indian cookbooks but had never seen this book or author discussed and wondered if that signified anything (is she not worth mentioning or did she get inadvertantly overlooked?). The book does look impressive and the IACP counts for something (as does skchai's recommendation of her, thanks) so I might go ahead and buy it. I will, of course, look into Monica's and yours (when it comes out).

The wierdest thing about the book is the third reviewer's blurb on the back. In addition to Madison and Silverton's bits, there are accolades from Michael Jackson (yes, him of the surgically enhanced face). He is described as an AWARD-WINNING ENTERTAINER AND INDIAN FOOD LOVER. How bizarre...

Michael Jackson does love Indian food... I know when he was in India, he created quite the stir with his fondness for the cuisine and familiarity with it. They live on the same coast, Ms. Batra has been an ambassador of this cuisine for some time now, and it seems logical for him to find comfort in her offerings.

1000 recipes sounds great. But quantity is not always what one should be after. Is it possible to have 1000 great recipes? Sure! And in the realm of Indian cookery, a 1000 recipes seems nothing big. I have not seen the book, so I am hardly equipped to say anything about it.

"Interesting" is a very "interesting" choice of words Monica! :rolleyes:

THe next one will be out in APril of 2004, It is titled Everything Indian and is a series cookbook for Admas Media. A LARGE number of egulleteers have help in the creation and testing of the the recipes... so a big thanks to all of them!!!

It is a collection of 300 regional recipes with the focus being on the beginner!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

THe next one will be out in APril of 2004, It is titled Everything Indian and is a series cookbook for Admas Media. A LARGE number of egulleteers have help in the creation and testing of the the recipes... so a big thanks to all of them!!!

It is a collection of 300 regional recipes with the focus being on the beginner!

Sounds good to me. :smile:

PM me your address oh handsome one

Monica, do you have a trust fund that pays for your published books?

How can you afford to send copies of books??? For free??? Really?? Does the publisher give you that many free copies? Are you independently wealthy?

I am friends with several published writers. Mind you these are large US publishing houses, and they hardly get any copies to hand out. Wondering how the Canadian houses work. Do they give you many copies to share with admirers?

PS: Am I not handsome enough to get a copy too? :rolleyes:

How can you afford to send copies of books??? For free??? Really?? Does the publisher give you that many free copies? Are you independently wealthy?

I am friends with several published writers. Mind you these are large US publishing houses, and they hardly get any copies to hand out. Wondering how the Canadian houses work. Do they give you many copies to share with admirers?

I pay for all the copies I had out. I buy them and send them out. SInce the money is going to a charity, handing out free copies does not work for me. I wish I had a trust fund. right now its just me. And I dont send out copies to just anyone... trust me on that.

M

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I pay for all the copies I had out. I buy them and send them out. SInce the money is going to a charity, handing out free copies does not work for me. I wish I had a trust fund. right now its just me. And I dont send out copies to just anyone... trust me on that.

M

Exactly the reason I asked, Monica.

You are very generous and Charitable. Thanks! :smile: