• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Chef" -- Who is? Who ain't?

Stone

And then you've got guys like Trotter and Vongrichten. They've paid the dues, proved they've got longevity on their sides and ventured into the other, darker side. I say both are ten times the chef I'll ever be. Would I megaplex myself out? Uh, fuck no. I'd be too paranoid about what was going on in LA to sit still in NYC. I'd turn to hard drugs for sure.

But there are guys like C and JJ who have proven what they're worth, and just happened to be capitalistic. You can't fault a guy for wanting to be wealthy. Yeah, they're big time idol-type chefs. (I know Stone was being Tongue in Cheek)..

Lets not confuse chefs and leaders.

A chef to my best guess is one who fabricates edible food products and/or posseses the ability to somewhat skillfully transfer heat (cook) items to a desireable edibility.

A leader can be plucked from one environment and placed into another while still possesing the ability to lead reguardless of profession. A jack of all trades, quick learner and great role model.

If one is a chef and a leader well, thats a rare combination, maybe 1 or 5 of these individuals exists to my knowledge.

I dont believe one can ever "pay their dues" that is an exercise in hopelessness.

All I can say about Jet posessing chefs is its different for everyone. Respect for everyones position is the first step in anything professional.

Edited by inventolux (log)

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

A chef to my best guess is one who fabricates edible food products and/or posseses the ability to somewhat skillfully transfer heat (cook) items to a desireable edibility.

I don't think you are confusing chefs and leaders..but chefs and COOKS..isnt't the above the description of a cook??

edited to add that I like slkinsey's maestro analogy. but I wish SLkinsey had an easier name, is kinsey ok?

Edited by Kim WB (log)

A chef must always be a cook though...You'd be surprised how many who claim to be the real deal can't make rice.

so, "chef" is a subset of "cook". and sometimes a "chef" might stop being a "cook", which would then make him not a "chef", and not a "cook" anymore either. that doesn't sound like a good place to be.

I don't think you are confusing chefs and leaders..but chefs and COOKS..isnt't the above the description of a cook??

edited to add that I like slkinsey's maestro analogy. but I wish SLkinsey had an easier name, is kinsey ok?

Let's get this straight, it's my maestro analogy -- just read the first post. SLkinsey just gussied it up a bit, that's all. And for the record, I was at a bar once, and Leonard Bernstein was there, and someone came up to him and said, "how ya doing, Maestro." So, in fact, maestros are called "maestro" off-the-clock.

is a "farmer" a "cook" then?  just when i thought i had this figured out, it got more confusing.  :angry:

Tommy's thinking so hard his kitty isn't twitching any more.

A chef must be a cook before becoming a chef.

agreed..but if he just cooks rice, he's a cook. If he leads, teaches and manages a group of people to create a great venue for him to serve the rice as part of an inspired dish, he is a chef. Tommy, do not try to fit this in to your synopsis! :laugh:

Let's get this straight, it's my maestro analogy -- just read the first post. SLkinsey just gussied it up a bit, that's all. And for the record, I was at a bar once, and Leonard Bernstein was there, and someone came up to him and said, "how ya doing, Maestro." So, in fact, maestros are called "maestro" off-the-clock.

FINE,becasue it is much easier to credit STONE as opposed to a person named Slkinsey! :laugh:

A chef must always be a cook though...You'd be surprised how many who claim to be the real deal can't make rice.

so, "chef" is a subset of "cook". and sometimes a "chef" might stop being a "cook", which would then make him not a "chef", and not a "cook" anymore either. that doesn't sound like a good place to be.

If the specimen in question can forget how to cook, then he was never a chef.

A chef must be a cook before becoming a chef.

agreed..but if he just cooks rice, he's a cook. If he leads, teaches and manages a group of people to create a great venue for him to serve the rice as part of an inspired dish, he is a chef. Tommy, do not try to fit this in to your synopsis! :laugh:

What if the venue is Popeye's Fried Chicken & Biscuits, and the rice is going in a lexan container on a steam table?

Wink: "Chef or not a Chef?"