• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Letters To The NY Times

Holly Moore

I take my Shepherd's Pie very seriously.

Speaking of lamb's testicles - had me a plateful a while back at the Cattlemen's Steakhouse in the Oklahoma City Stock Yard. Lamb Fries on the menu. Breaded and with a marinara type dipping sauce. They look like breaded condoms.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

And THAT was problematic enough to warrant a letter to the Times???  Geesh, Holly!!!!  :biggrin:

Not exactly, I gather. Using my mind-reading abilities, I deduce that she isn't sufficiently compelled to actually post a letter, but might be in the mood to send a scathing email... :biggrin:

Holly is a girl. Holly is a girl. Nyah nyah.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Not exactly, I gather.  Using my mind-reading abilities, I deduce that she isn't sufficiently compelled to actually post a letter, but might be in the mood to send a scathing email...  :biggrin:

I'm not all that impressed with your psychic abilities, Holly being a guy and all.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I take my Shepherd's Pie very seriously. 

Speaking of lamb's testicles - had me a plateful a while back at the Cattlemen's Steakhouse in the Oklahoma City Stock Yard.

I guess that would make it safe for me to have dinner at the cannibals steakhouse. It's kind of like having a beer at the tastefreres du bourgogne club house.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Ahhh...Good. I am blameless (for a change). The dish's name was lifted directly as printed from the Heathman menu. While classically, I suppose, incorrect (though God knows we've all eaten plenty of all-beef Shepherd's Pie in the lunchroom or at Rikers), I think playing on old, trite and classic menu item names is pretty much the norm these days. (See ""navarin" "confit", "relish" etc.). Perhaps "Hachi Parmentier des Balloches" --or "Hachi Parmentier des Couilles" would be more in keeping with the French theme.

abourdain

[

Not exactly, I gather.  Using my mind-reading abilities, I deduce that she isn't sufficiently compelled to actually post a letter, but might be in the mood to send a scathing email...  :biggrin:

Holly - you've been de-testicled :shock:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

And THAT was problematic enough to warrant a letter to the Times???  Geesh, Holly!!!!  :biggrin:

Not exactly, I gather. Using my mind-reading abilities, I deduce that she isn't sufficiently compelled to actually post a letter, but might be in the mood to send a scathing email... :biggrin:

Holly is a girl. Holly is a girl. Nyah nyah.

D'oh! :huh:

Just goes to show I should pay more attention when typing.

Oh well... whenever I hear other people say, "Sam," they're usually talking to their dog... :hmmm:

--

Tony would you please arrange to go to Rikers for a meal, and write about it for our Webzine? I think I can arrange for Perlow to send you a free eGullet thong for your trouble.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Tony would you please arrange to go to Rikers for a meal, and write about it for our Webzine? I think I can arrange for Perlow to send you a free eGullet thong for your trouble.

And my company will be glad to provide the appropriate attire. The Shill's Company

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Funny you should mention that Fat Guy. I happen to have a very good friend currently serving time in federal lock-up in Arizona. And another in a penitentiary in Mass. Should I commission a short log of prison fare from each? Compare and contrast? Both correspondents write very well--and have plenty of free time.

abourdain

Funny you should mention that Fat Guy. I happen to have a very good friend currently serving time in federal lock-up in Arizona.  And another in a penitentiary in Mass.  Should I commission a short log of prison fare from each? Compare and contrast? Both correspondents write very well--and have plenty of free time.

Hell yes.

(In exchange we'll send each of them a thong with a nail file hidden in it.)