• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Letters To The NY Times

Holly Moore

I feel compelled to take issue with an article in today's Times Food Section. Not sufficiently compelled to actually post a letter, but am in the mood to send a scathing email?

Thing is I can't find the email address on their site. There is letters@nytimes.com but that seems to be for the op-ed page. Anyone know if it's the same for the food page and, if not, the proper address?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I believe you just use letters@nytimes.com and they farm it out to the appropriate section editor. Put "Attn: Dining Editor" at the top.

In today's dining section, by the way, there are several letters about the chain-restaurants article from last week. All four letters take the same position. One would think there would have been a pro-chains letter in there, for editorial balance.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

In today's dining section, by the way, there are several letters about the chain-restaurants article from last week. All four letters take the same position. One would think there would have been a pro-chains letter in there, for editorial balance.

Perhaps no one from that hotbed of mediocre chain blight, the suburbs, reads the Times.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Perhaps no one from that hotbed of mediocre chain blight, the suburbs, reads the Times.

I assumed Fat Guy was complaining that they didn't print his letter. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I'm right here.

Issues, corrections, criticism, exclamations of general distaste welcome.

"I'll take exclamations of general distaste for $300, Tony."

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

What did I screw up?

Are pig's feet really considered "offal" (paragraph 9)?

That's the only thing questionable that I picked up.

Wish I'd have known about this ahead of time - would have been worth a quick jaunt to Portland.

You know, Holly, it's really considered impolite to criticise a man's testicles. :wink:

Ok, a hint. For cannibal's pie, a man's testicles would be appropriate.

Ah HAH! Shepherd's Pie should have sheep testicles!

--

And THAT was problematic enough to warrant a letter to the Times???  Geesh, Holly!!!!  :biggrin:

Not exactly, I gather. Using my mind-reading abilities, I deduce that she isn't sufficiently compelled to actually post a letter, but might be in the mood to send a scathing email... :biggrin:

--

I can just imagine when they get this letter, they'll probably post it on the wall of the newsroom with the "Top 10 crackpots of the week" selections.