• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Do You Look for When You're on the Road?

Ellen Shapiro

Low fuel prices - DUH! who doesn't shop around for low fuel prices???

I'm curious, you've been driving on the interstate for 5 or 6 hours and decide you need gas. How do you "shop around?"

Well, for one, I drive an SUV, so I rarely go 5 or 6 hours before needing gas! :biggrin:

as for shopping around when getting off the interstate... well... most exits in populated areas have more than one gas station. I generally drive down the main row of gas stations and look at the prices, then take a side street and see if the little gas station around the corner has lower or higher prices. If they're higher, I go back the way I came and fill up at the cheapest place I found.

For example, my vacation a couple weeks ago, I got off the interstate and there were 3 gas stations advertised on the exit sign. I drove to the first one, and the price was like $1.47 which was way high considering I had been buying at $1.29 for the majority of my vacation... so I passed them up, and went on to the next place where it was a little lower at $1.43 or something... then I went on to the 3rd place, and it was WaWa and they were at $1.32... wonder where I filled up??....

shopping around for gas... not difficult...

(the only trip I remember vividly on I-95 involved a drag race through Hartford and gaggle CT state troopers - I can't drive in that state legally until 2005, but that story's for a different thread).

You gonna start that thread, mcdowell?? :wink:

Myself, I look for road construction sites, particularly in warmer weather. Guarantees a gaggle of perspiring shirtless men for me to, um, "observe" . . .

Uh, No :biggrin:

Stories like that are best told over meals, where there's less permanence than anything typed... you & yours come on over for some fry bread & margaritas (you can bring the salmon chorizo) and I'll tell you lots of embarassing tales.

But I'm keeping my shirt on, thank you very much (and you will thank me), so don't get your hopes up.

Myself, I look for road construction sites, particularly in warmer weather.  Guarantees a gaggle of perspiring shirtless men for me to, um, "observe" . . .

What a great idea! Makes me want to hop in the car and go somewhere. :biggrin:

Needless to say, it's the chick's roadtrip version of that old childhood game, "I Spy"!! :wink:

Uh, No  :biggrin:

Stories like that are best told over meals, where there's less permanence than anything typed...  you & yours come on over for some fry bread & margaritas (you can bring the salmon chorizo) and I'll tell you lots of embarassing tales.

But I'm keeping my shirt on, thank you very much (and you will thank me), so don't get your hopes up.

:laugh::laugh:

Believe me, I've got my own share of embarrassing stories (as does Socrates) from my callow youth. :blush: And you're so right about the impermanence of such tales told over a meal -- particularly when accompanied by liberal amounts of potent potables!

That said, the lure of fry bread and margaritas is irresistible . . .

My tendency for road trip dining is to get some fresh fruit and like snacks before I leave town. And a couple of bottles of water.

The Florida Turnpike is a major drag foodwise.

Once, I found this gas station in lower Arkansas that had turkey and dressing, collards and butterbeans as the special for the day. I thought momentarily about moving there. Needless to say, I stayed for seconds. All I remember is that it was someplace south of Pine Bluff.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Took longer, but I remember each of those trips (the only trip I remember vividly on I-95 involved a drag race through Hartford.....

I'd remember that too since 95 doesn't go through Hartford. car-smiley-003.gif

Now you might have taken the Pike to 84 to 91 to 95. However, in bypassing 84 you miss out on stopping at Rein's deli in Vernon, CT. Been stopping there for over 20 years. Good for celebrity sightings too. Last time I saw Pete Wolf (from J.Geils Band, not the egulleter) in the men's room. (Fill in your own joke here)

I'm a big fan of the Cross Sound Ferry too. It's great for going from Boston to eastern Long Island (which is what I used to use it for). I didn't mind the extra time since it made a nice break in the middle of the trip. Just don't eat while on it. If you're hungry there's a choke and puke right at the CT/RI state line on 95. If you're hungry.

Edited by abbeynormal (log)